India v England series

Status
Not open for further replies.

How many people actually stay up for an Ashes test? Cricket Australia probably ask for ridiculous money so I can see why Sky probably give it a miss.

England squad for first two Tests in India: Joe Root (Yorkshire) (captain), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Dom Bess (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Olly Stone (Warwickshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).Reserves: James Bracey (Gloucestershire), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Matthew Parkinson (Lancashire), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Amar Virdi (Surrey).
Wood,Curran and Bairstow to join after 1st 2 tests.

Last edited:
Sorry but that’s absolutely fuckin idiotic some of the squads like. Resting batsman for 2 tests,

Playing a different keeper every other test

It’s test cricket man, treating the India series like an exhibition match

Embarrassing

Plenty are gonna reply and disagree with me, no point getting into a debate about it like, that’s my view.
So bairstow, who can play spin, gets rested

But Dom Sibley, whose absolutely terrible at spin, stays in the squad

Ffs
One more thing, they’re way shot of batsman

If root breaks his finger, who plays??? Woakes???

There’s literally no spare batsmen in the squad

Last edited:
Burns
Crawley
Stokes
Root
Lawrence
Pope/Sibley open if Pope not fit
Buttler
Bess
Archer
Leach
Broad

Totally agree-it's as if they've considered all candidates individually but then not stepped back to see if the overall selection was balanced.
6 batsmen, 3 all-rounders and 11 bowlers

Does anyone know how this Disney deal will work out? Will we need to subscribe to both Disney and Hotstar?

Sorry but that’s absolutely fuckin idiotic some of the squads like. Resting batsman for 2 tests,

Embarrassing

Plenty are gonna reply and disagree with me, no point getting into a debate about it like, that’s my view.

Ffs

I think it’s absolutely barmy from a purely cricketing perspective and that’s before the potential implications of leaving bubble life, heading back to chaotic locked down England

Embarrassing

Ffs

Nope, I agree with you here mate.

Even Bairstow - taking aside that you and I are totally opposed on how good he is, he played well in the first Test in SL, hasn't played red ball cricket for some time, and suddenly needs to miss the first two Tests in India, when he'd have finally shaken off the rustiness, and hopefully have runs under his belt - to then come in cold later in the series?

Wood. Why on Earth does he need to go home? Did he break a finger carrying the drinks? He's our fastest bowler FFS, he'll be crucial out there.

Really bizarre choices all over the shop

Embarrassing

Ffs

It's nonsense.

Wood treated like crap instead of archer as well. We need wood in India we dont need him in Sri Lanka.

Totally agree-it's as if they've considered all candidates individually but then not stepped back to see if the overall selection was balanced.
6 batsmen, 3 all-rounders and 11 bowlers

Spot on aye
Nope, I agree with you here mate.

Even Bairstow - taking aside that you and I are totally opposed on how good he is, he played well in the first Test in SL, hasn't played red ball cricket for some time, and suddenly needs to miss the first two Tests in India, when he'd have finally shaken off the rustiness, and hopefully have runs under his belt - to then come in cold later in the series?

Wood. Why on Earth does he need to go home? Did he break a finger carrying the drinks? He's our fastest bowler FFS, he'll be crucial out there.

Really bizarre choices all over the shop

Just really really light on batting

Sibley already has big problems with spin, so he basically can't be dropped now at all. Yet we send a better player of spin home? Its not about him being in the XI, its about catering for injuries and loss of form.

if Root breaks fingers, big problems, who plays?

If Sibley gets single figures tomorrow and in the 1st India test, who plays?

They are really relying on Pope being fit, but its a big ask, he'd be in the squad if so

They did this in windies too, they just dont pick enough batsman, you need options

You'd have thought Smith would have watched India v Australia and thought about all the injuries they had, and then thought we need options

I accept its unusual times, and rotation etc, but one they have done makes no sense.
It's nonsense.

Wood treated like crap instead of archer as well. We need wood in India we dont need him in Sri Lanka.

Spot on

this is an absolute marque series, and they aren't treating as one

I usually defend the players to the hilt, but the fact Buttler is missing 3 tests because of burnout, but will be back in a few weeks to spend 10 weeks in a hotel for the IPL is ridiculous quite frankly.

You either need rest or not. He is on a test contract, cant have it both ways.

Last edited:
Spot on aye

Just really really light on batting

Sibley already has big problems with spin, so he basically can't be dropped now at all. Yet we send a better player of spin home? Its not about him being in the XI, its about catering for injuries and loss of form.

if Root breaks fingers, big problems, who plays?

If Sibley gets single figures tomorrow and in the 1st India test, who plays?

They are really relying on Pope being fit, but its a big ask, he'd be in the squad if so

They did this in windies too, they just dont pick enough batsman, you need options

You'd have thought Smith would have watched India v Australia and thought about all the injuries they had, and then thought we need options

I accept its unusual times, and rotation etc, but one they have done makes no sense.

Spot on

this is an absolute marque series, and they aren't treating as one

I usually defend the players to the hilt, but the fact Buttler is missing 3 tests because of burnout, but will be back in a few weeks to spend 10 weeks in a hotel for the IPL is ridiculous quite frankly.

You either need rest or not. He is on a test contract, cant have it both ways.
Fact of the matter is the ECB are over a barrel when it comes to the IPL. If they were to block players you'd surely see some of them become professional T20 players and chase the money. And in Buttler's case he had his wife and kid with him at the IPL, that's very different to being in what is a far stricter, more insular England bubble.

Fact of the matter is the ECB are over a barrel when it comes to the IPL. If they were to block players you'd surely see some of them become professional T20 players and chase the money. And in Buttler's case he had his wife and kid with him at the IPL, that's very different to being in what is a far stricter, more insular England bubble.

That fine. Then give his test contract to someone else

Weren't you saying he was nigh on indispensable last summer? ;)

Aye big fan
Fine. Then see how much the sponsors and broadcasters are willing to pay when all of the best players walk away. ;)

I agree with your sentiment but the ECB have to be pragmatic about it.

Listen I’m not one of those people, I like players going to IPL

But it’s an unusual year and I’m a bit disappointed people missing nearly a whole series for it. It’s a tricky balance I agree, just dunno feels bit wrong to me

Last edited:
His glovework was very good in the first test. Hopefully he can really crack Test cricket now - keeping in the subcontinent is so tough. Looks like his undeniable talent is really starting to come to the fore

Plenty of good players in that position, its least of our worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back