Inbetweeners & Still Game

stick with it. it's the characters personalities that makes it.
This is the thing. Even side characters like Pete the Jakey and Naveed / Meena at the corner shop - tremendous. By the time you're a couple of series in, you're rooting for all of them it's so well written and performed.

The same holds true for Early Doors, my missus hates it because it's not 30 Rock, slick one liner after one liner, but it's character driven, full of warmth and pathos, and acted by dramatic performers in the main. By the time Early Doors had finished it's way too brief two series, several of the actors from the show had gone on to huge acclaim like James McAvoy and Maxine Peake. James McAvoy played the landlord's daughters' boyfriend in series one but left to go to Shameless - there was a gag written in to series two about him dumping the daughter and leaving town..."Bloody shameless, he was..!" A running joke was that he had an enormous cock, so when a character muses, "I wonder if she misses him..." someone replies "I'm sure there's a bit of him she's missing..."

This is the thing. Even side characters like Pete the Jakey and Naveed / Meena at the corner shop - tremendous. By the time you're a couple of series in, you're rooting for all of them it's so well written and performed.

The same holds true for Early Doors, my missus hates it because it's not 30 Rock, slick one liner after one liner, but it's character driven, full of warmth and pathos, and acted by dramatic performers in the main. By the time Early Doors had finished it's way too brief two series, several of the actors from the show had gone on to huge acclaim like James McAvoy and Maxine Peake. James McAvoy played the landlord's daughters' boyfriend in series one but left to go to Shameless - there was a gag written in to series two about him dumping the daughter and leaving town..."Bloody shameless, he was..!" A running joke was that he had an enormous cock, so when a character muses, "I wonder if she misses him..." someone replies "I'm sure there's a bit of him she's missing..."
Agree completely about Early Doors.
It is a gentle, inoffensive light-hearted comedy that, on the surface, seems a bit bland ?
But, it's the characters that make it memorable.
Old Tommy, Ken the Landlord, Ken's Mam, Duffy etc. - I'm sure we have all met people just like them in old-fashioned pubs ?
Wish I had gone to see the stage show, but think it's too late now to make another series...

It is a gentle, inoffensive light-hearted comedy that, on the surface, seems a bit bland ?
Old Tommy, Ken the Landlord, Ken's Mam, Duffy etc. - I'm sure we have all met people just like them in old-fashioned pubs ?
Wish I had gone to see the stage show, but think it's too late now to make another series...
The stage show has recently been uploaded to youtube and I've seen some of it. It's OK but not on a par with the TV show. A lot of the regular actors weren't in it, replaced by others and not as good, especially Joan and Eddie, and it doesn't have the same pathos.

That scene when Ken realises Melanie is going to see her real dad for the first time and goes upstairs to his room to weep while The Good Life plays over the top always makes me blub. Same as when they do the football card and give the takings to Eddie so he can pay his phone bill - the acting is SO good.

Inbetweeners was class and I didn't mind the films either.

Not a bad episode, still cracks me up anytime I catch one of them on tele. Sure I have them all on DVD somewhere.

Father Ted for me is the best British comedy series though 👍

I always thought part of the genius of Early Doors was that it was like you'd just ventured into a new local for the first time - it starts with a quiet teatime midweek scene, nothing much happening, you briefly meet a few characters, then as it goes on you get to know everyone more and more, and by the end of it everyone's getting hammered at a massive party.

Last edited:
I always thought part of the genius of Early Doors was that it was like you'd just ventured into a new local for the first time - it starts with a quiet teatime midweek scene, nothing much happening, you briefly meet a few characters, then as it goes on you get to know everyone more and more, and by the end of it everyone's getting hammered at a massive party.
To the regiment...!

The best thing about still game is all the supporting characters are quality. My family had a newsagent and having worked in them in a not so great area, navid is spot on... My favourite navid because anyone who has worked in a shop has been there...

Bit strange listening to it in the first take without canned laughing but you get the gist.

I’ve seen that loads of times but it still has me crying 😂😂😂😂

Back