Imran Tahir - Bookmark this thread

he has been trying to qualify for South Africa for 4 or 5 years...does anyone stand a chance in Pakistan cricket??

Given the politics you wouldn't fancy anyone's chances, mind I think Kaneria is poor and other than Ajmal I don't think they have anyone else of real ability so you would imagine if he had stuck it out in Pakistan he should have played a few tests by now.

Given the politics you wouldn't fancy anyone's chances, mind I think Kaneria is poor and other than Ajmal I don't think they have anyone else of real ability so you would imagine if he had stuck it out in Pakistan he should have played a few tests by now.

Kaneria is class, seen him loads of times 'live'. I guess its just the politics of Pakistan as to why he hasnt delivered

261 wickets @ 34.79 for a leggie is pretty decent for someone who was in and out of the side

185 wickets @ 32.97 for Mushtaq Ahmed and he terrorised county batsman for years

Kaneria is class, seen him loads of times 'live'. I guess its just the politics of Pakistan as to why he hasnt delivered

261 wickets @ 34.79 for a leggie is pretty decent for someone who was in and out of the side

185 wickets @ 32.97 for Mushtaq Ahmed and he terrorised county batsman for years

Perhaps it's just me but whenever I see Kaneria, he looks very wayward. Too many buffet balls and unable to bowl a consistent, nagging line to hold up and end and frustrate a batsman if the pitch isn't offering much. He must have a very good record on home pitches because I'd guess he averages over 50 in places like England, South Africa and Australia, with a high economy rate.

Perhaps it's just me but whenever I see Kaneria, he looks very wayward. Too many buffet balls and unable to bowl a consistent, nagging line to hold up and end and frustrate a batsman if the pitch isn't offering much. He must have a very good record on home pitches because I'd guess he averages over 50 in places like England, South Africa and Australia, with a high economy rate.

24 wickets @ 40.58 in Australia (when they were good)
15 wicksts @26.33 in South Africa
20 wickets @ 51.40 (the reason why England have never produced a decent leggie, which is what I alluded to with PD earlier on Borthwick)

24 wickets @ 40.58 in Australia (when they were good)
15 wicksts @26.33 in South Africa
20 wickets @ 51.40 (the reason why England have never produced a decent leggie, which is what I alluded to with PD earlier on Borthwick)

Just because England haven't produced a decent one does not mean the good ones from elsewhere can't bowl well here. Warne and Mushtaq had excellent and good records here respectively.

Just because England haven't produced a decent one does not mean the good ones from elsewhere can't bowl well here. Warne and Mushtaq had excellent and good records here respectively.

I believe the reason why Salisbury got a go in the test side was because of bowling at the Oval which is one of few tracks conducive to leg spin. When he went out on alien wickets for England he wasnt better than a club leggie IMO

I believe the reason why Salisbury got a go in the test side was because of bowling at the Oval which is one of few tracks conducive to leg spin. When he went out on alien wickets for England he wasnt better than a club leggie IMO

It didn't matter where England played him, he looked nowhere near test standard. What you have to remember is, until Warne came along, leg spin bowling was just about dead. It was his success which made leg spin popular again and since then more have emerged. In England's case it has been a bit later as we have only had Salisbury and now the emergence of Rashid and Borthwick. The pitches over here may play a part in that but in all honesty no country has had a dearth of leg spin bowlers for god knows how long.

It didn't matter where England played him, he looked nowhere near test standard. What you have to remember is, until Warne came along, leg spin bowling was just about dead. It was his success which made leg spin popular again and since then more have emerged. In England's case it has been a bit later as we have only had Salisbury and now the emergence of Rashid and Borthwick. The pitches over here may play a part in that but in all honesty no country has had a dearth of leg spin bowlers for god knows how long.

India and Pakistan have produced leggies

Afridi & Kaneria are very good

India and Pakistan have produced leggies

Afridi & Kaneria are very good

Hardly a massive amount though. Pakistan have had Mushtaq, Kaneria and Afridi (who has a very moderate test record), India have had Kumble and I can't think of any more and Sri Lanka currently have Mendis. So not many at all really which is surprising for the subcontinent, the supposed home of spin bowling.

Hardly a massive amount though. Pakistan have had Mushtaq, Kaneria and Afridi (who has a very moderate test record), India have had Kumble and I can't think of any more and Sri Lanka currently have Mendis. So not many at all really which is surprising for the subcontinent, the supposed home of spin bowling.

India havent really needed another leggie with Kumble at one end Singh at the other. You dont know what they have had in domestic cricket, although I am sure Rentaghost will be able to provide a breakdown of all leg spinners in Indian domestic cricket for the last 20 years

Two leggies in a side doesnt really work

India havent really needed another leggie with Kumble at one end Singh at the other. You dont know what they have had in domestic cricket, although I am sure Rentaghost will be able to provide a breakdown of all leg spinners in Indian domestic cricket for the last 20 years

I agree it doesen't, but my point was that England aren't the only country to have struggled to produce leg spinners in the last couple of decades. WIndies, South Africa and New Zealand have had none of note. Australia had 2, and fortunately for them, the best, and even the subcontinent teams have only produced a handful. The difference has been that the other countries have had players like Vettori, Singh, Muralitharan who have been so good that a high class leg spinner hasn't been missed.

Well you've got Chawla and Mishra on the outskirts of the national team at the moment. In the recent past just before Kumble I always thought Hirwani was a canny turn and he always had the edge of Sivaramakrishnan IMO :)

Well you've got Chawla and Mishra on the outskirts of the national team at the moment. In the recent past just before Kumble I always thought Hirwani was a canny turn and he always had the edge of Sivaramakrishnan IMO :)

excellent reporting as always squire

do you have a run down on the upcoming players to watch out for in the Afghan test team

like for like comparisons difficult to make.

anyhows unlike some on here, ive stuck my neck on the block early not told you he is class 100 test wickets later

You must have seen him more than me, the couple of times I've seen him he's looked good but nothing spectacular. Better than the DuPlessis bloke they've called up though, he was utter gash for Lancs a couple of years ago.

Back