improved smartphone glass twice as likely to survive drops

They're clearly made nearly entirely of glass on purpose

The iphone 4 was always a good laugh as you could smash both sides of it. Always thought that was daft - having a "safe landing side" must cut down the number damaged.

First thing I do when purchasing a new phone is get a chunky, smash proof case for it. I’ve never had so much as a scratch on any of my iPhones. Why doesn’t everyone do that?

To be fair even before this I've seen how its improving over time. I dropped my Samsung S4 on some pavement a few years ago, it shattered. I've dropped my Samsung S7 a couple of times in similar circumstances and it actually didn't crack the screen, only dented, scratched the metal casing.

To be fair even before this I've seen how its improving over time. I dropped my Samsung S4 on some pavement a few years ago, it shattered. I've dropped my Samsung S7 a couple of times in similar circumstances and it actually didn't crack the screen, only dented, scratched the metal casing.

It is due to the recent improvements in pavements making them much softer with a little bit of bounce.

Just like when batteries get twice as good, they just put a smaller battery in. This will just mean more glass, less other stuff for strength & just as much chance of breaking.

Consumer demand. We started buying them more than plastic backed ones.
And then put them in a case that costs, in almost every case, under £20.
LOL

Back