I'm off up Snowdon

In a couple of hours, 70 of us, myself included will be climbing Mt Snowdon to get to the summit for sunrise.
Not your usual Friday night/Saturday morning activity, but there you go!
Hopefully it'll result in a good few thousand pounds (£15K would be nice) being raised for my hospice.
Other charity events are available...

Any of you off up a mountain this weekend?
Share your pictures :D
We're getting the train up in the morning with the kids

Hardly a climb is it, more a walk.
Well done though for raising money doing it.
I'll be climbing the stairs soon, once I get to the top I'll be so exhausted I'll probably just go straight to bed.

A number of years ago I persuaded my wife to walk up Snowdon with me on the agreement that I promised her a treat at the cafe at the summit. It was a long, hard slog, freezing cold and foggy but the thought of the cafe and a hot drink with a large piece of cake kept her going and we eventually made it to the top. It was certainly a relief when the cafe finally came into view. The only problem was it was shut!

The train wasn't running either and it's fair to say it was fairly quiet on the long walk back down!

Often when we go to a cafe now, we look back and laugh about the Snowdon adventure, but it took some living down at the time!

In a couple of hours, 70 of us, myself included will be climbing Mt Snowdon to get to the summit for sunrise.
Not your usual Friday night/Saturday morning activity, but there you go!
Hopefully it'll result in a good few thousand pounds (£15K would be nice) being raised for my hospice.
Other charity events are available...

Any of you off up a mountain this weekend?
Share your pictures :D
Good luck chief.

Ben Nevis next month for me, raising money for JDRF.

Shamed into it as my 12 year old triple nephews and neice, all of whom have type 1 diabetes and one who has cerebral palsy, are doing it. Not looking forward to it at all.

Good luck chief.

Ben Nevis next month for me, raising money for JDRF.

Shamed into it as my 12 year old triple nephews and neice, all of whom have type 1 diabetes and one who has cerebral palsy, are doing it. Not looking forward to it at all.

Amazing work. Sling your JG page up on here or the Manc Group and I'll sponsor you
Good for you mate. Any just giving links or whatnot?

As requested...

To say the conditions were challenging would be an understatement.
50mph winds and rain going everywhere. We got to the top in 3 and a half hours which even the guides said was impressive.

If you'd be kind enough to sling a few quid at my efforts, I'd be most grateful :D

Last edited:
What a stroke of political genius to change the name of your most famous tourist attraction to something nobody, including Welsh people have ever called it and never will . It's like re-naming Stonehenge "That rock thing".

I thought I'd google this to find out...

The name "Snowdon" is first recorded in 1095 as Snawdune, and is derived from the Old English elements snaw and dun, meaning "snow hill".

The Welsh name of the mountain, Yr Wyddfa, is first recorded in Latin as Weddua vaur in 1284. This is probably an approximation of Pen y Wyddfa Fawr. The element gwyddfa in this context means 'height, promontory', and also appears in the Welsh name for the town of Mold, Yr Wyddgrug.

Incidentally, if anyone would like to still sponsor me, I'd really appreciate it :D

Back