If England dont win the Euros

Our technique was miles behind europe at that point. Good players in England, but found out in tournaments and champions league.

Saka was terrifying the French at the World Cup until Southgate unbelievably took him off.
The attempts to put it all on the manager is very amusing. As if he's stifling the great Brazilian side of 1970.

Should he be replaced if we dont win the euros. Going off the friendlies he has a really young squad again, another squad that has the potential to come good in a tournament or twos time if not now. Is anything less than 1st place going to be accepted, I'm thinking probably not by the fans, I think the FA are more than happy.

Do I think england are making a mistake if they get rid of him after the summer, probably.

Can't help but think if they go down the route of anyone else it simply won't work the same as it has under GS, he's got the whole of the English football set up going in one direction player wise (bar ben white) and it's been a largely positive one if you consider every result and tournament standings.

Or we can go back to chopping and changing every few years or so unless they can tie down one of the current elite managers for a long period, which i cant see happening.

Do I think he will win anything, think he's had/got as good a chance if not better than anyone in my lifetime even if I don't agree with his decisions or game management sometimes. From where he started to where he is I've got nothing but admiration for GS.

Would I be pissed off regularly paying to watch England, yes. But I don't so personally I'm happy to let him ride out his vision of what english football should look like.
Then we shrug our shoulders since 1966 and realise we never will win anything and wake up the day after we get knocked out for work and look after our loved ones and care for them and forgotten about a game of football??? Normal behaviour?? You stamp your feet have panic attacks want everyone sacked and can hardly taje a breath because 23 millionaires have lost a game of football??

Then we shrug our shoulders since 1966 and realise we never will win anything and wake up the day after we get knocked out for work and look after our loved ones and care for them and forgotten about a game of football??? Normal behaviour?? You stamp your feet have panic attacks want everyone sacked and can hardly taje a breath because 23 millionaires have lost a game of football??
What exactly has he achieved as a manager to get the top job? Over promoted is an understatement.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that.
He was our manager for three and a bit seasons.
We had two mid table premier league finishes under him and went down in his third season.
Wasn't really his fault that we lost players like Schwarzer, Boateng and Cattermole without them being properly replaced.
It was obvious the spending had been curtailed, and even after relegation he had us in the play off positions , one point off top.

He was also (at the time) only the 2nd person to have been awarded (at separate times obviously) premier league player and manager of the month, being the first Boro manager to be awarded the latter in 8 years.

Bit of a myth that he was a failure at Boro really.
I respect your reply but, in the fullness of time, only his record will speak for itself. In four years and five months his record was P 151: W 45: D 43: L 63: WIN % 29.8% which, by any standards, is very poor.

4 wins in 26 games against top ten teams in the world.

He’s absolutely shite, people go on about his tournament performances whilst ignoring who we’ve played.

Indeed, but if you were a betting man, would you put your money on a team with a good qualifying record & who are turning in positive results game after game? Or, would you back a team that had a good record 3 years ago?
I am, or was at least, but I'd never be shelling money out in the hope that the likes of Sterling, Grealish, Walker, Chilwell Rashford and Gallagher put away penalties in the latter stages, which after all is what it'll probably come down to.

People see England as having one if the best squad of players if not the best.
Expectations are high. A win or a very unlucky final defeat will be the only results seen as acceptable imo.
They don't though. Got a lot of bang average players in the squad and a poor defence and mediocre goalkeeper.

Bin off Southgate will have the same affect as we have by binning off Uncle Tony!
Southgate is a lot more likeable as a person than Tawny tho!
There's numerous managers who would have won one of these last 3 tournaments with the squads Southgate has had at his disposal. Criminal we're letting him have another crack really.

Tactically outclassed pretty much every time we come up against a half decent nation.

His record against top 10 nations is damning, and the majority of those handful of wins were in the nations league, which no one really cares about anyway.
The worrying thing is that it was purely tactical we lost that final. Italy managed the game and in extra time we needed to go and attack them as they were drained. Cautious Southgate had us worry about conceding against a team who had no legs and then gambled we could win penalties. That said I already hated Rashford but I don’t think I’ve ever been as angry at an England player when he had the key penalty and tried to be all clever

Last edited:
Not winning any of the 4 major tournaments he’ll have overseen as manager of England with the talent available at his disposal will be seen as a disgrace and rightly so assuming we don’t win the Euros.

Happy to be proved wrong but just can’t see us winning with him as manager.

If England do win the euros does he get a long term contract, and acknowledged by fans as the best manager we’ve had since Ramsey?

Back