If England dont win the Euros

DH1

Midfield
Should he be replaced if we dont win the euros. Going off the friendlies he has a really young squad again, another squad that has the potential to come good in a tournament or twos time if not now. Is anything less than 1st place going to be accepted, I'm thinking probably not by the fans, I think the FA are more than happy.

Do I think england are making a mistake if they get rid of him after the summer, probably.

Can't help but think if they go down the route of anyone else it simply won't work the same as it has under GS, he's got the whole of the English football set up going in one direction player wise (bar ben white) and it's been a largely positive one if you consider every result and tournament standings.

Or we can go back to chopping and changing every few years or so unless they can tie down one of the current elite managers for a long period, which i cant see happening.

Do I think he will win anything, think he's had/got as good a chance if not better than anyone in my lifetime even if I don't agree with his decisions or game management sometimes. From where he started to where he is I've got nothing but admiration for GS.

Would I be pissed off regularly paying to watch England, yes. But I don't so personally I'm happy to let him ride out his vision of what english football should look like.

Last edited:

There's numerous managers who would have won one of these last 3 tournaments with the squads Southgate has had at his disposal. Criminal we're letting him have another crack really.

Tactically outclassed pretty much every time we come up against a half decent nation.

His record against top 10 nations is damning, and the majority of those handful of wins were in the nations league, which no one really cares about anyway.

He will go after the euros whether we win or lose....4 tournaments is a good run for anyone, and he would probably fancy a new role now.
I couldn't imagine him coping with 1 or 2 games every week. It'd be like going from being semi retired all your life to working in McDonald's

Bin off Southgate will have the same affect as we have by binning off Uncle Tony!
It definitely wont.

At no point under Southgate have England exceeded expectations. Mowbray getting us into the playoffs last season would have been a huge over-achievement even if you didn't factor in the injuries we had.

Unless England also bring in Michael Beale, we will only improve after Southgate imo.

I like the bloke but he doesn’t have the killer instinct needed to get over the line.

It’s no coincidence a lot of our fans want to keep him, whereas you ask an area that’s used to winning and it’s the other way.

Two stats that stick in my mind, in 25 games against the “big” international teams he’s won 7, lost 10 and drew 7, that’s not a great record. If he doesn’t win the euros and stays on, he becomes the longest serving manager to never win a trophy.

It’s time to give someone else a chance, preferably someone with the mentality to get these talented players over the line, instead of sitting back at 1-0 in a European final at home, to an Italian team we should have beaten.

It definitely wont.

At no point under Southgate have England exceeded expectations. Mowbray getting us into the playoffs last season would have been a huge over-achievement even if you didn't factor in the injuries we had.

Unless England also bring in Michael Beale, we will only improve after Southgate imo.

I certainly didn't expect us to be a spot kick away from winning the Euros.

Very limited manager.

Said it before, England do well in spite of him, not because of him.

We would be unbeatable with a proper coach like Klopp or Pep

I also think our chances would go up 10 fold with a manager like that, but where would that leave us in a few tournaments time after they've left after a short term cup winning role here. It's like a trade off for me, stick with GS and you have the making of an elite England set up through the age groups and generations which we have now, or trade it off for a potential cup in the short term.

Not that I think england could attract pep or klopp like. Least peps won and done it everywhere so potential for him to want a new type of challenge.
I certainly didn't expect us to be a spot kick away from winning the Euros.
Don't, it's still raw.

Last edited:
Should have gone after the defeat to Italy in 2021. Another Pickford howler last night, we won't win the Euro's, even though we should with the players at our disposal.

Should have gone after the defeat to Italy in 2021. Another Pickford howler last night, we won't win the Euro's, even though we should with the players at our disposal.
Hell of a finish though for both their goals. Couldn't help but imagine what a sunderland player would do receiving that ball for their first. Tragic

I think Southgate may call it a day regardless of whether we win or not, he'll have been in charge for nearly eight years.

Not sure who we would replace him with, the dream would be an elite manager like Pep or Klopp but it's highly unlikely they'd come.

Howe would probably be the best fit but I don't think he has more know how than Southgate to get us over the line.

Back