Iceland (the country)

Going for 4 days to Reykjavik with the Mrs (no). Any reccomendations on what to do there? aside from the blue lagoon.

Hire a car, it pays for itself after one day and not having to pay for airport transfers. Loads of car hire companies at Keflavik airport and the roads over there are so quiet driving is a piece of piss, even in reykjavik. Just make sure you can use your data abroad for google maps.

Download the Appy Hour app, tells you when all the happy hours are on in the bars in Reykjavik, usually a lot cheaper.

Don't do northern lights or golden circle yours with the tour companies, again, hire a car. You can do the golden circle in half a day and the golden circle 'tour' is essentially a bus journey where you stay far too long at each stop.

I've been twice and not seen the northern lights, it is all down to the forecast. Whale watching tour is good depending on when you are going, there aren't any whales at certain times of the year.

Stay in an airbnb, not a hotel. Buy your food/snacks at the Bonus supermarket chain, it is the cheapest.

Free city walk tour is very good and you pay what you feel at the end. If you do it when you first arrive it helps you get your bearings. CityWalk.is - Free Walking Tour Reykjavik Iceland, Pubcrawl, Financial, #1

Loads of good bars and restaurants in Reykjavik, let me know if you want a list.

I would move there if it wasn't so cold and expensive.

Hire a car, it pays for itself after one day and not having to pay for airport transfers. Loads of car hire companies at Keflavik airport and the roads over there are so quiet driving is a piece of piss, even in reykjavik. Just make sure you can use your data abroad for google maps.

Download the Appy Hour app, tells you when all the happy hours are on in the bars in Reykjavik, usually a lot cheaper.

Don't do northern lights or golden circle yours with the tour companies, again, hire a car. You can do the golden circle in half a day and the golden circle 'tour' is essentially a bus journey where you stay far too long at each stop.

I've been twice and not seen the northern lights, it is all down to the forecast. Whale watching tour is good depending on when you are going, there aren't any whales at certain times of the year.

Stay in an airbnb, not a hotel. Buy your food/snacks at the Bonus supermarket chain, it is the cheapest.

Free city walk tour is very good and you pay what you feel at the end. If you do it when you first arrive it helps you get your bearings. CityWalk.is - Free Walking Tour Reykjavik Iceland, Pubcrawl, Financial, #1

Loads of good bars and restaurants in Reykjavik, let me know if you want a list.

Hi mate,

We are looking into booking a car, is all of the insurance needed? We're looking at about £240 with all insurance added.

Cheers if you can ping me the list that be great

Golden Circle tour, John Lennon island thing, cock museum, get a lobster roll and soup down at the fish quay.

Hire a jeep and explore the rest of the island.

It’s not even that bad man.
It's not and it annoys me how much everyone acts like it is. FFS people go one like it's still £1.50 a pint here.

Not been but someone at work went at the beginning in January for his 60th. He enjoyed it but said he would go in summer if he went again. It was only light 11am-2pm and he said it effected him.

Also mentioned that the prices were extortionate.

Full of pickpockets?

Not that I'm aware of, but it's incredibly expensive

Go alcohol free, very expensive a night on da lash.

It was expensive for fish and chips according to the people I knew who went recently!

Golden Circle tour, John Lennon island thing, cock museum, get a lobster roll and soup down at the fish quay.

Hire a jeep and explore the rest of the island.

It’s not even that bad man.

I'm amazed you feel it through your £600+ coat

Not that I'm aware of, but it's incredibly expensive

It was expensive for fish and chips according to the people I knew who went recently!

I'm amazed you feel it through your £600+ coat

I’m wearing a Carharrt number I got in the sale for £130. And I’m not in Iceland.

It's not and it annoys me how much everyone acts like it is. FFS people go one like it's still £1.50 a pint here.

It's ludicrously expensive. I don't skimp when on holiday as life's too short but some of the prices were barmy. Don't think it's unfair to warn people!

It's ludicrously expensive. I don't skimp when on holiday as life's too short but some of the prices were barmy. Don't think it's unfair to warn people!
For what exactly? It's just big city prices. It's really not that bad at all. We were in Paris this weekend and you can easily pay €11 a pint and €20 for a pretty average main course. As long as you don't expect to pay wetherspoons prices you should be ok. I don't know what some people expect.

For what exactly? It's just big city prices. It's really not that bad at all. We were in Paris this weekend and you can easily pay €11 a pint and €20 for a pretty average main course. As long as you don't expect to pay wetherspoons prices you should be ok. I don't know what some people expect.

You can, but you could also go somewhere cheap if you wanted. There wasn't anywhere particularly cheap in Iceland.

Now, as I say, we were prepared for it and accepted it. But it's definitely one of the more expensive places in the world. It's well known.

Oddly I think the best value we got was with our Blue Lagoon stuff as we wrapped it in with a three-course meal at the restaurant there. Lush and actually cheaper than a couple of pizzas in Reykjavik :lol:

Most of the main things have been mentioned on this thread but if you’re going out on the piss it doesn’t get busy till about midnight. Also you can’t buy cans of alcoholic lager in the centre, we had to drive to some warehouse on the edge of town. I never saw the northern lights either but when we went it was only dark for a couple of hours!

Just looked at my Revolut for when I was up there last May.
2 people, fish stew and a drink in Fish Veitingahus was about £55
The icelandic platter at Cafe Loki (dried fish, hakarl, brenevin and some odds and ends) was about £75
2 soups in a loaf in a place called Svarta Kaffid was £42

quickly adds up if you're not used to paying top prices - between scran and some souvenirs I spent a nudge over £500 in 2 days

Back