Iceland (the country)

Pray for your wallet and its contents.
Me mate went about two years ago and tried to do things as cheaply as possible due to the price of everything. Went to buy a sliced loaf of bread and it was about 6 quid, so he logically thought he’d get the unsliced loaf as it may be cheaper. It was about 10 quid.

Me mate went about two years ago and tried to do things as cheaply as possible due to the price of everything. Went to buy a sliced loaf of bread and it was about 6 quid, so he logically thought he’d get the unsliced loaf as it may be cheaper. It was about 10 quid.

Your mate either went to the most expensive shop in Iceland or he is telling porkies.

Going for 4 days to Reykjavik with the Mrs (no). Any reccomendations on what to do there? aside from the blue lagoon.

Haven't read the rest of the comments so sorry if said before.

We didn't do blue lagoon, to mainstream for me. Also, when we were over there I learned that the water is just pumped there from another location, so it sort of killed its vibe imo.

Anyway, we were lucky enough to get a bnb on the main street just opposite the 66 degree North shop on the High Street, it wasn't planned but what a great location. Nice hotel aswell!

The bars around that area were great, live music on a night in wooden lodges, loved it. There is an app you can download for your phone which let's you know which bars in town are serving the cheapest pints in there happy hour. Happy hour over there is spread out throughout the day generally. So no matter the time of day you can get a reasonably priced pint somewhere.

We did a whale watching tour, was well worth it, we only saw one whales back a few times but it made the holiday. Wish I could remember the tours name.

The price of food there is out of this world but if you plan you can get a few cheaper meals. But we just went all out, your only there once we figured...

We hired a car, did the golden circle in blizzards, which was an expirience!

Gulfoss (I think) phenomenal waterfall on the golden circle.

Churches - I am most definatley not a man of religion but the churches over there are something else. My favourite thing to do in Reykjavik was to wonder the streets and find hidden churches, back roads and parks. It's the cheapest and most fulfilling thing to do imo.

All in all the place is unlike anywhere ive been before. For all we said it was a once in a lifetime trip we will be back! Just probably in the summer to mix things up a bit.

Buy alcohol at the airport when you land,put in a carrier bag on a night out and just buy the mixers.

Been 3 times for football and ive never seen the northern lights.
First went in 1985 prohibition was still in force,only places you could buy alcohol was in restaurants which were few and far between .our hotel loftleider only sold non alcoholic beer .You were allowed to buy alcohol at the airport when you landed to compensate the ban.You could tell who was across for the football as everyone got a carrier bag and a paper cup.

Went on a corporate freebie years ago , we had everything organised for us over the weekend, the usual things that have already been mentioned on here , really should go back sometime.

Just got back,

Was pricey in places but was amazing trip. We did the blue lagoon (tourist trap i know), and they were selling waterproof pouches for cameras etc for 20 quid.

My mrs (no) got the exact same ones off groupon for 2.50 each

Did the golden circle, but have to say the drive back through heavy snow was stressful... visibility of about 10 metres...

Will be going back, probably stay at the same air bnb

Back