Ian Holloway Compliment

If you go on this site you can enjoy playing "Which of these 23 teams have attendances higher than Sunderland's?" I got 20 of them. You may be surprised by some answers.

Got nothing but respect for Ian Holloway. Nothing to do with that interview but the cards life dealt and how he faced up. Top bloke👍

Read his autobiography and he really does seem like a decent bloke. The stuff when he struggled at Wimbeldon and Harry Bassett wanted him to be more like Wally Downes and the 'jokes' aimed towards him when his wife had cancer, just shows Wimbledon to be a f***ing rancid club at the time.

Reckons he used to take things too seriously and that's why he comes out with some of the silly stuff in the media, for a bit of entertainment.

Last edited:
There are few better jobs I've seen in football than what he achieved at Blackpool. It's a shame it gets overlooked but he barely had a budget to stay in the Championship, let alone win promotion and accrue more than 40 points. They were desperately unlucky to go down.

Lovely words from a classy man. He's spot on about the shirt. I've been thinking Lee Johnson hasn't been getting the credit he deserves for the job he's done so far, so it's good to read a bit of praise.
They were brilliant to watch that season they were in the Prem. An absolute mess at the back but a constant threat going forward.

Mad as a box of frogs, but loved in Bristol (well, the half north of the river anyway)
1/3 or 1/4* attendances don’t lie.
Lacks class too, “the only good City fan is a dead one”
Plays the village idiot due to the accent, embarrassing for the rest of us.
Apart from that he seems alright, good footballer too. My old man used to play u18 county football with him, Holloway was 14..

Last edited:
Mad as a box of frogs, but loved in Bristol (well, the half north of the river anyway)

A friend of mine once interviewed him for the manager's job at a League 1 club (they may have been in L2 at the time) and afterwards used exactly the same phrase.

Apparently he spent most of the interview talking about his daughters and had to be constantly dragged back to football matters.

He didn't get the job.

Back