Iain Dowie

After losing the play-off semi final to eventual winners Watford, Dowie left Crystal Palace by "mutual consent" on 22 May 2006 following discussions with chairman Jordan.
Do you know the real reason the daft fucker stopped the bus on a motorway and as a training exercise got the squad to march two miles over broken ground to the hotel in the dark at the time i was commuting from amsterdan and london and had a drink with the director from america who was flying over to fire him. stopping the players bus on a motorway getting them to risk millions of players worth of money in the night. its a different kind of stupid

After losing the play-off semi final to eventual winners Watford, Dowie left Crystal Palace by "mutual consent" on 22 May 2006 following discussions with chairman Jordan.
Do you know the real reason the daft fucker stopped the bus on a motorway and as a training exercise got the squad to march two miles over broken ground to the hotel in the dark at the time i was commuting from amsterdan and london and had a drink with the director from america who was flying over to fire him. stopping the players bus on a motorway getting them to risk millions of players worth of money in the night. its a different kind of stupid
was it the M25 ?

They marched along the motorway?
hotel apparently was two miles from the place on the motorway they stopped at he thought as a team exercise it would be a good idea to pull over and have the team hike 2 miles in the dark. Man after i got a drink in him the guy was livid. one it was illegal two want happens if they slip and break something
was it the M25 ?
the guy didn't say just said it was a motorway
it was like why are you coming over here to fire that f***ing idiot

Last edited:
BHH

hotel apparently was two miles from the place on the motorway they stopped at he thought as a team exercise it would be a good idea to pull over and have the team hike 2 miles in the dark. Man after i got a drink in him the guy was livid. one it was illegal two want happens if they slip and break something

the guy didn't say just said it was a motorway
it was like why are you coming over here to fire that f***ing idiot
Why was it illegal mate?

Strange and random post 🤣.

Coaches / managers do mad things when they crack. I used to sponsor a couple of super league players and got to know them really well. We heard all sorts of stuff that went on. One match day the whole squad turned up with bandages on their knuckles, a couple were so bad that they couldn’t play due to infections. Turns out the coach was so pissed at their performance the previous week that he’d taken them to Brecon Beacons for 2 days and made them do an SAS assault course using only their knuckles to take their body weight when they were crawling through the gravel and mud.

It’s hardly
Marching to London from jarrow like

Two things that jump out:

Would a professional coach driver really stop on a motorway (presumably the M25) to let the entire passenger list off?

Why were Palace staying in a hotel for a game that was relatively local? Was it by Selhurst Park or somewhere random off the M25 in Berkshire or something.

Back