I fancy a new Digital SLR Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of me mates at work just won a Nikon competition the other week. Got a lens and a gps system for his camera.

I had'nt given it much thought to be honest, i'll look into it.

I'm off to Wroclaw in Poland at the end of next month and looking at some of the architecture and scenery online of the city and the mountains has got me itching to start snapping away again.

Which mountains are they? The tatras are great but that's a canny distance

Which mountains are they? The tatras are great but that's a canny distance

Haven't got the foggiest, my lass is Polish and she keeps mentioning the mountains and showing me pictures.

We're going to Wroclaw and Klodzko, so i'm guessing they are driving distance from there????

Haven't got the foggiest, my lass is Polish and she keeps mentioning the mountains and showing me pictures.

We're going to Wroclaw and Klodzko, so i'm guessing they are driving distance from there????

Prolly Krkonose in the Czech Republic

The poles are mad for mountains. The trek to Morski Oko (lake in the Tatras) is like a pilrimage it seemed. Young mostly, not the crusty old walkers you get in the UK

Then all the lasses pretend they are supermodels and strike poses for their boyfriends in front of the lake. Quite bizarre :lol:

Get some Velvia 50 in yer pentax

Prolly Krkonose in the Czech Republic

The poles are mad for mountains. The trek to Morski Oko (lake in the Tatras) is like a pilrimage it seemed. Young mostly, not the crusty old walkers you get in the UK

Then all the lasses pretend they are supermodels and strike poses for their boyfriends in front of the lake. Quite bizarre :lol:

Get some Velvia 50 in yer pentax

Looks like a cracking film that mind judging by a quick swizz on google images.

Just opened me camera bag and it looks like theres a roll of Ilford HP5+ 400 in there.

God only knows what's on there!

I got into Velvia 50 this year after a recommendations from somebuggeronherewithadaftusernamewithnospacesinit

It's very good. Much richer than digital.

Must have been that koont amnorrageordie

*health warning Velvia 100 is a totally different (shit) film

100ef is different again, and not bad

Seeing as it has been 12 years since i studied photography for GCSE, if i get myself a roll of this Velvia 50, is there anything i need to be doing to get decent results?

I've only ever really done black and white stuff so this will be all new to me

Seeing as it has been 12 years since i studied photography for GCSE, if i get myself a roll of this Velvia 50, is there anything i need to be doing to get decent results?

I've only ever really done black and white stuff so this will be all new to me

Grad filters would be good if you are doing landscapes....it's a very contrasty film...

But all the slide films are

Not a problem for detail shots or where there is low contrast in the subject

I got into Velvia 50 this year after a recommendations from somebuggeronherewithadaftusernamewithnospacesinit

It's very good. Much richer than digital.

I've got two out of date rolls in the freezer (just under the bairn's fishfingers) must get round to using them. Very nice with chips.

see what I did there? :cool:

I'd second the idea of rediscovering your film cameras. I did this recently and I've never enjoyed it more.

As for Velvia, I'd never used it before (when I last was enthusiastic about photography I always used Kodachrome, but obviously that's not possible now :cry:) but I've bought both Velvia 100 (RVP) and Velvia 50. I'd heard they are very similar, but obviously the 100 is more versatile and less needy of a tripod. Is it not the Velvia 100F that's the different, less saturated one, that people dislike?

To be honest, a lot of my photography is just informal family stuff, and Velvia isn't that suitable for portraiture apparently due to the colour intensity, but I've bought some anyway and am trying it out in a variety of shots.

Only thing is, whenever I've had slides scanned I've always been disappointed with the results, compared to how they look projected, so I'm not sure it's a route I'll be going down very often, unless I can improve on the scanning.

I'd second the idea of rediscovering your film cameras. I did this recently and I've never enjoyed it more.

As for Velvia, I'd never used it before (when I last was enthusiastic about photography I always used Kodachrome, but obviously that's not possible now :cry:) but I've bought both Velvia 100 (RVP) and Velvia 50. I'd heard they are very similar, but obviously the 100 is more versatile and less needy of a tripod. Is it not the Velvia 100F that's the different, less saturated one, that people dislike?

To be honest, a lot of my photography is just informal family stuff, and Velvia isn't that suitable for portraiture apparently due to the colour intensity, but I've bought some anyway and am trying it out in a variety of shots.

Only thing is, whenever I've had slides scanned I've always been disappointed with the results, compared to how they look projected, so I'm not sure it's a route I'll be going down very often, unless I can improve on the scanning.

Nope it's Velvia 100 that's minging, not 100f

100f is stable, pretty good all round film, but lacking a bit of the saturation and punch of 50. Some might prefer it

100 has a minging magenta caste, I think it's foul

Stupid that these films have the same name when they are so very different

100 should be called Ropia, Failia or Purplia :)

Yep, 50 is no good for portraits, your people look like Hiroshima victims or David Dickinson

I doubt the other Velvias are either. Astia for portraits iirc, although I don't do em

Sounds to me you've just had poor scans... What were they done on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope it's Velvia 100 that's minging, not 100f

100f is stable, pretty good all round film, but lacking a bit of the saturation and punch of 50. Some might prefer it

100 has a minging magenta caste, I think it's foul

Stupid that these films have the same name when they are so very different

100 should be called Ropia, Failia or Purplia :)

Yep, 50 is no good for portraits, your people look like Hiroshima victims or David Dickinson

I doubt the other Velvias are either. Astia for portraits iirc, although I don't do em

Sounds to me you've just had poor scans... What were they done on?

Cheers. Just commercial scans done by the processing lab (Fuji) which were a bag of sh1te, lacking in all the 'pop' that you really want from slides (and with a lot less than you'd get from print film too). They would appear to be done by the same machine that does the cheapo low res scans in Asda, only in Asda they charge 97p rather than £7 - utter rip off. I'm going to take the next batch to Digitalab I think.

I love film, but there's no doubt that digital SLRs have their place.

Film is more rewarding, but if you're on a walking about in a city then it's great being able to shot hundreds of shots without worrying about developing costs.

For your budget, I'd consider a second hand Nikon D80 with perhaps the 18-55 and 55-200 vr lenses, or else another DSLR that you can use your old lenses with - Sony iirc.

It'll be a great accompaniment to you film cameras, rather than a replacement.

And Velvia is immense. Took this on Velvia 100 on an old Yashica Mat. It's such a great film.

Well i decided sod it, and i've had a bit of a splurge on a new Nikon D3100.

Well i decided sod it, and i've had a bit of a splurge on a new Nikon D3100.

I've read some pretty good reviews of that lately. Too small and light for my sausage fingers though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back