Hylton Red House

Anyone calling Southwick rough is either a fanny or never set foot there in the early 90s
Southwick's slightly skanky and packed with gormless kids 10 to a house, down Ridley Street.

Some right fannies on here like, nothing wrang with Redhouse, Castle town, Hylton Castle, Downhill, Potts etc

Hendon is Sunderland's worst area, round Tower St bit, still not really that bad though
Pallion, Southwick, Eden Vale, i'd say. Dunno if they rough, but, they're a bit crap.

Tower Street is okay, but T.S. West isn't the best.

Egerton, Hendon Burn Ave (next one to Tower), Toward Road, Noble, Buddle Terrace and Deerness, might be the worst bits Hendon. St. Leonard, on the way out, anarl, but not as abject.

Last edited:
Parts of it are classed by the government as the roughest 2% of the country.
What criteria does the government use to rate roughness?

Edit: already seen. I'd class roughness more as likelihood of being involved in violent crime and that over being poor or unhealthy but fair enough.

Last edited:
One thing I’ve never understood, attacking the emergency services. Hopefully one of the little shits attacking the fire brigade falls asleep smoking his solid joint, sets light to his tracky and burns to death in his cesspit of a house. That’ll learn em!
Should be an automatic jail term.

Edit: already seen. I'd class roughness more as likelihood of being involved in violent crime and that over being poor or unhealthy but fair enough.
If you don't have a friend called tarquin or philomena.

Last edited:

They use a combination of

Income deprivation
Crime rates
Access to services
Access to housing
Educational outcomes
Deprivation affecting children specifically
Deprivation affecting the elderly specifically
Think there’s one on quality of the environment too

They all get packaged up into a single measure but you can still split them

When I think rough crime is my first thought but I also think cultural and income

You’re not wrong though maybe many people do see it as mostly crime?

Back