How to solve a problem like Joe Root?

Joe Root as a captain has been poor. No real other options, I guess he's just going to have to get better.

His batting while consistent hasn't been match winning in a fair while, his conversion rate being the bigger problem. As much as he says he's happy to bat 3 he's clearly been better at 4 and 5.

This below graphic is rather damning, despite it being a team game. Him not converting 50s saw us not get in the position to win games in Australia/India.

Root's at the bottom of this list for averages so he's actually cut off the preview of the graphic.

I’ve said it for a long time. Morgan as skipper and he can replace Denly in the middle order. And he’s a lefty. And he’s in form. It is an absolute no brainer but they won’t because they’ve formed a plan around Root as captain and won’t go back on it because it’ll be seen as management failure.
I see Morgan as a Brearley type of captain. When I watch him getting interviewed I am struck by how he manages his players and has a game plan which he changes on the good to suit a situation. This is something Root, for all he is a superb batsman, doesn’t possess.
The captaincy clearly negatively affects Root’s batting as well which we just can’t afford.
Unfortunately I think the Ashes are gone because we put so much into the ODI game over the last few years and have neglected forming a solid plan to beat the Aussies . This is a real shame .

I’ve said it for a long time. Morgan as skipper and he can replace Denly in the middle order. And he’s a lefty. And he’s in form. It is an absolute no brainer but they won’t because they’ve formed a plan around Root as captain and won’t go back on it because it’ll be seen as management failure.
I see Morgan as a Brearley type of captain. When I watch him getting interviewed I am struck by how he manages his players and has a game plan which he changes on the good to suit a situation. This is something Root, for all he is a superb batsman, doesn’t possess.
The captaincy clearly negatively affects Root’s batting as well which we just can’t afford.
Unfortunately I think the Ashes are gone because we put so much into the ODI game over the last few years and have neglected forming a solid plan to beat the Aussies . This is a real shame .

Hasn't Morgan openly said he doesn't want to play red ball cricket anymore?

Now 47.91

Pre-captaincy he was averaging 52.80. Since taking the captaincy he's averaging 40.82 (and getting worse).

As I was saying there in the Ashes thread he averaged 32.50 in this series and got no tons. His form has got be a serious long term concern. He was once considered alongside Kohli, Smith and Williamson, England need to get the best of him once more if they are to climb the rankings but are failing to do so at the moment.

Back