How to solve a problem like Joe Root?

mackembhoy

Striker
Joe Root as a captain has been poor. No real other options, I guess he's just going to have to get better.

His batting while consistent hasn't been match winning in a fair while, his conversion rate being the bigger problem. As much as he says he's happy to bat 3 he's clearly been better at 4 and 5.

This below graphic is rather damning, despite it being a team game. Him not converting 50s saw us not get in the position to win games in Australia/India.

Root's at the bottom of this list for averages so he's actually cut off the preview of the graphic.

It's a problem like, you give the Captaincy to your best player when what you really want is your best player to go on being your best player.

In Stokes case he already does 3 jobs batting bowling and demon fielder/catcher.

Leadership drags him down but he wont admit it to himself. You can see the captains that enjoyed the leadership like Vaughan, Morgan, Strauss and Hussain. Root and Cook before him dont and I think if Flintoff/Pietersen had it any longer it would have dragged them down. Big personalities dont always enjoy leadership.

Leadership drags him down but he wont admit it to himself. You can see the captains that enjoyed the leadership like Vaughan, Morgan, Strauss and Hussain. Root and Cook before him dont and I think if Flintoff/Pietersen had it any longer it would have dragged them down. Big personalities dont always enjoy leadership.
Agreed.
Conversely, I think Buttler may be the type the captaincy would bring the best out of. He seemed to thrive in the responsibility in the limited times he’s led the ODI side, iirc.

Is there a county captain out there who can bat to a half-decent level at number 4? I have no idea!
I honestly think if Rory Burns can nail down his England place, he could. His captaincy was the main reason we won the Title last year.
He has a huge amount of work to cement his place in the side, however.

A very big ask to pluck someone from County Cricket and stick them in as England captain.

I honestly think if Rory Burns can nail down his England place, he could. His captaincy was the main reason we won the Title last year.
He has a huge amount of work to cement his place in the side, however.

A very big ask to pluck someone from County Cricket and stick them in as England captain.

Burns could certainly be an option in a years time if he cements a place in the team. I don't agree with Buttler as he's still got work to do to keep his place in the side IMO, if he could do that and score heavily for the next 12 months he would be the perfect fit.

I would have Buttler as captain personally, think he will relish the responsibility and allows Root to concentrate on his game.
Buttler also needs to nail down his Test spot for me. He's getting away with it because the problems with the top three and Bairstow, but he hasn't scored a run since India last summer!

Buttler also needs to nail down his Test spot for me. He's getting away with it because the problems with the top three and Bairstow, but he hasn't scored a run since India last summer!
Agreed but theres hardly people beating down the door for his spot. He is ahead of Denly and Bairstow in the queue fairly easily and who is there to come in. The only real certs to be in the starting 11 at the minute is Root, Stokes and Woakes imo.

Buttler has got the best cricket brain in the current team for me. I also like the way he is so natural and open with the media.
I'd be surprised if Root stays in the job longer than 18 months. If Buttler can nail down his spot during that time it's his in my view.
You don't want to add any further workload to Stokes. I think he got the vice-captaincy back simply to add some extra responsibilty so he won't f**k up again.

Buttler has got the best cricket brain in the current team for me. I also like the way he is so natural and open with the media.
I'd be surprised if Root stays in the job longer than 18 months. If Buttler can nail down his spot during that time it's his in my view.
You don't want to add any further workload to Stokes. I think he got the vice-captaincy back simply to add some extra responsibilty so he won't f**k up again.
What evidence have you that of this with respect to red ball cricket? (especially sine he said himself 3/4 years ago that while he understood where he was in white ball cricket and what he needed to do in he didn't in red ball cricket).
What evidence have you that of this with respect to red ball cricket? (especially sine he said himself 3/4 years ago that while he understood where he was in white ball cricket and what he needed to do in he didn't in red ball cricket).
In the last 3 seasons Buttler has played only 4, 1 and 0 first class matches for Lancs.

Last edited:
Joe Root as a captain has been poor. No real other options, I guess he's just going to have to get better.

His batting while consistent hasn't been match winning in a fair while, his conversion rate being the bigger problem. As much as he says he's happy to bat 3 he's clearly been better at 4 and 5.

This below graphic is rather damning, despite it being a team game. Him not converting 50s saw us not get in the position to win games in Australia/India.

Root's at the bottom of this list for averages so he's actually cut off the preview of the graphic.

Tom Latham, couldn’t get it off the square for Durham last time out. Typical....

Back