How long have you stayed in a job?

safcforever

Striker
I’m considering changing jobs again. I just realized I’ve never done the same job for longer than 3 years

i done 14 years in the military but I was moved around a lot and held different positions

I then went into another industry for a few months then took a supervisor role. Then 12 months later got a manager job, that I done for 6 months then moved country.

If I move from this one I will have had 4 different jobs within 4 years in Canada

is this normal? Or do most people get a job and just stick with it?

I've only had 2 jobs and liked them both. First one for 2 years (electrical eng), then 45 years within the MN, serving at sea and in education. I've no real advice to pass on :)

I’m considering changing jobs again. I just realized I’ve never done the same job for longer than 3 years

i done 14 years in the military but I was moved around a lot and held different positions

I then went into another industry for a few months then took a supervisor role. Then 12 months later got a manager job, that I done for 6 months then moved country.

If I move from this one I will have had 4 different jobs within 4 years in Canada

when i look at cv's like yours it puts me off

15 years in a call-centre at Doxford Park.

Started with this company in 1977 so 43 years but had around 8 different jobs - currently managing Masterdata in SAP for all the European business

Depends what you do mate?
I been in the oil and gas industry for 45 years worked for loads of different people on a contract basis.
When I look at CVs I look for experience not length of time with one company.

Next summer will be 10 years in my current job. Worked my way up and grown with the business. Started when I was 23.

Sometimes get itchy feet and feel like I should try something else.

23 yrs. Walked into work last October as normal. Everyone dragged into canteen. "We are no longer trading, doors are shut". Unbelievable. Been there since 1996.

First job 1989 to 2006.
Second job 2006 to 2016
Third job 2016-2018
Current job 2018 to now
I like to think i've been lucky and found companies to work for that i've been really happy at and also have a job that i enjoy.

Very similar to you, I’ve worked for my current company for 9 years but had 5 positions during that time, before that I didn’t tend to have a job longer than 2 years in one place, change has always been good for me.

Starting to settle down slightly though, if the next step works out how I’d like it to I doubt I’d move on again but I had to get the experience to put me in that position.

Roughly 2 1/1 years. Seem to get very bored after that amount of time and if there isn't any promotion / progression opportunity then it's time to move on for me.

In my current position 20 months and got a few irons in the fire for promotion before I reach 2 years.

In the 20 year I've been working I've averaged about 4 or 5 years at each place. Longest being about 8 year, shortest 18 month.

Pretty much the same job all the way through though, so aside from that 18 month I've changed companies but more or less done the same thing.

Back