How deep is the River Wear at Sunderland?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah seen that place on the north side, walked past it on the north side before and never thought anything. Passed it on the south side looking across the river and it looks derelict. Certainly didn’t look like anyone lives there now, apart from the rats.
It' a f@@king eyesore mate - should be bulldozed and all the rotting boats taken away for scrap.

The original owner justified towing that rusty old barge up the river by saying he was going to turn it into a floating dock/marina for river boats. FFS.
A shame, looks a great little place.
It was a fantastic pub at one time - I had my eighteenth birthday party in there. Last owners really ran it into the ground - didn't care about it and mad no effort to make it an attractive place to visit. It's on a riverside walk, has stone floors, and they wouldn't let dogs in, ffs.

It was one of the reasons given that Shipbuilding wouldn’t be returning to the Wear..specifically Pallion yard with the undercover dock..the river would need dredging from under the Alex bridge and then out to the piers..the cost would be huge.

The pub was the golden lion, caught fire a few month ago.
Think the boat was once moored up at North hylton, broke free and sank

Always thought the Golden Lion was in a great location but never made the most of it. Probably not helped by being at the end of Sunderland's longest dead end.

I can remember when Charlie Darby used to live behind it, the last of the Hylton ferry boat rowers. Miserable fucker he was.

It was one of the reasons given that Shipbuilding wouldn’t be returning to the Wear..specifically Pallion yard with the undercover dock..the river would need dredging from under the Alex bridge and then out to the piers..the cost would be huge.

They repaired some cat-ferries a few years ago at Pallion, but they have a very short draft.

Always thought the Golden Lion was in a great location but never made the most of it. Probably not helped by being at the end of Sunderland's longest dead end.

I can remember when Charlie Darby used to live behind it, the last of the Hylton ferry boat rowers. Miserable fucker he was.
Looks a cracking spot tbf. Shame.
It' a f@@king eyesore mate - should be bulldozed and all the rotting boats taken away for scrap.

The original owner justified towing that rusty old barge up the river by saying he was going to turn it into a floating dock/marina for river boats. FFS.

It was a fantastic pub at one time - I had my eighteenth birthday party in there. Last owners really ran it into the ground - didn't care about it and mad no effort to make it an attractive place to visit. It's on a riverside walk, has stone floors, and they wouldn't let dogs in, ffs.

You would think the council would give the owner a “nudge”. a real eyesore...

Yeah I’d imagine it was a great boozer back in the day. Just reading on the linked thread the land was sold for 61k and is being redeveloped

Last edited:
Agree , great location, you would think anyway, but over last 20 years no one hardly drank in it. If the council had made that walk from Sunderland or South Hylton to Fatfield more attractive , then it could've helped the pub no end. Where I live there is an old railway line that was made into a walkway 40 years ago , for years it was underused , but lately it has suddenly taken off, with hundreds of cyclists and walkers everyday using it. This walk along the banks of the wear would've been great, with pubs such as the Golden Lion, the one at Cox Green and then the few in Fatfield all to have a go at.

They repaired some cat-ferries a few years ago at Pallion, but they have a very short draft.

Aye I know a few lads who worked on the cat ferries..for Shipbuilding to have returned on any ‘grand’ scale would require dredging..a mate of mine works in Germany making the wind turbines that are out at sea..his company were interested in the Pallion dock but they were told they’d receive no aid in making the river accessible for the transportation barges.

Just reading on the linked thread the land was sold for 61k and is being redeveloped
Rumour is that it's going to be flats.

The door surround and plaque above it are listed, I believe, so would need to be integrated into any new development.

I would personally prefer it to be redeveloped as a pub, possibly with a restaurant attached and a proper beer garden with outside facilities for kids. Marketed properly, it could become a 'go-to' spot in the summer and a Christmas party venue in the winter. Would need a lot of money behind it, though.

Rumour is that it's going to be flats.

The door surround and plaque above it are listed, I believe, so would need to be integrated into any new development.

I would personally prefer it to be redeveloped as a pub, possibly with a restaurant attached and a proper beer garden with outside facilities for kids. Marketed properly, it could become a 'go-to' spot in the summer and a Christmas party venue in the winter. Would need a lot of money behind it, though.
Yeah flats would be the natural choice these days unfortunately. The date was in the 1700s iirc.

Looks a cracking spot tbf. Shame.

You would think the council would give the owner a “nudge”. a real eyesore...

Yeah I’d imagine it was a great boozer back in the day. Just reading on the linked thread the land was sold for 61k and is being redeveloped

Sadly it was never a great boozer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back