How deep is the River Wear at Sunderland?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 27897

Random question I know, but I am wondering about the capacity of the river in the size of the ships it can handle.

I was reading that the Tyne often regularly undergoes dredging activities to make it deeper (and remove sediment) for big ships and to keep up its "competitiveness" as a river.

But I don't ever recall seeing that happen here, which is unusual given we want to promote our port. I suppose size will always put as at a disadvantage on this.

Random question I know, but I am wondering about the capacity of the river in the size of the ships it can handle.

I was reading that the Tyne often regularly undergoes dredging activities to make it deeper (and remove sediment) for big ships and to keep up its "competitiveness" as a river.

But I don't ever recall seeing that happen here, which is unusual given we want to promote our port. I suppose size will always put as at a disadvantage on this.

The river is dredged near Corporation Quay at the port. It’s not dredged any further up as there is no need to spend that money. I don’t know the depth of the river further up, by there will be metres of silt from when it used to be.

Edit: the port maintain annual records of soundings as these are needed to monitor sedimentation as the rate varies. They advertise certain draughts at their quays so need to maintain a minimum and will dredge deeper, based on a cast off between how much is dredged at any one time relative to time build up.

Last edited:
Was walking along the south side yesterday west of the A19 seen a fishing boat capsized had obviously been there a while and a burnt out pub, looked like it was a cracker in the day. Maybe someone could shed some light on these as iv never been down that part of the river and it was new to me.

Was walking along the south side yesterday west of the A19 seen a fishing boat capsized had obviously been there a while and a burnt out pub, looked like it was a cracker in the day. Maybe someone could shed some light on these as iv never been down that part of the river and it was new to me.
Sounds like the pub owner sunk their boat for not paying for their pints, so they retaliated by burning down his pub?

Burnt out pub is The Golden Lion - been there in one form or another for hundreds of years.

The capsized boat is one of many 'acquired' by the 'scrap boat collector' on the North side of the river next to The Shipwrights'. It was set adrift a bout 18 months back and drifted up river until it capsized and sank where it now lies. There was actually a family living on it at one point who had to be rescued when the boat it was tethered to at 'scrap boat central' sank and threatened to drag it under with it.

That’s a nice area all the way from the A19 bridge, through the cornfield and up to Cox Green. The wreck is relatively new.
What happened to the pub, obviously it was a fire, looks like a good few years back. A great location mind.

edit, just seen japs reply.

Last edited:
Pub burnt down in July last year - me and the missus were on holiday at the time and our youngest messaged us with pictures to let us know what had happened. It had been closed and empty for a while and had just changed hands prior to the fire.🤔

Burnt out pub is The Golden Lion - been there in one form or another for hundreds of years.

The capsized boat is one of many 'acquired' by the 'scrap boat collector' on the North side of the river next to The Shipwrights'. It was set adrift a bout 18 months back and drifted up river until it capsized and sank where it now lies. There was actually a family living on it at one point who had to be rescued when the boat it was tethered to at 'scrap boat central' sank and threatened to drag it under with it.
Yeah seen that place on the north side, walked past it on the north side before and never thought anything. Passed it on the south side looking across the river and it looks derelict. Certainly didn’t look like anyone lives there now, apart from the rats.
Pub burnt down in July last year - me and the missus were on holiday at the time and our youngest messaged us with pictures to let us know what had happened. It had been closed and empty for a while and had just changed hands prior to the fire.🤔
A shame, looks a great little place.

The river is dredged near Corporation Quay at the port. It’s not dredged any further up as there is no need to spend that money. I don’t know the depth of the river further up, by there will be metres of silt from when it used to be.

Edit: the port maintain annual records of soundings as these are needed to monitor sedimentation as the rate varies. They advertise certain draughts at their quays so need to maintain a minimum and will dredge deeper, based on a cast off between how much is dredged at any one time relative to time build up.

It was dredged up to the Wearmouth bridge in 2018 for the Tall Ships.

Boat broke it's moorings and sank on the bend.
Rumour is it was set adrift after it's initial 'escape' from 'scrap boat central'. The Coastguard tethered it to the bank on the North side, opposite the two houses at the bottom of the Gill steps.

It then 'got loose' again and ended up where it is now. Somebody waded out to it and 'liberated' it's prop and various other bits and pieces for scrap before abandoning it to leak the contents of it's engine room and bilge into the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back