How accurate are generational traits

My experience is that they are lazy, lying little wankers.

I was talking to my old man about this the other day, about how through any School holiday term, he’d have me cracked on with some form of DIY etc with him. At the time, I resented him because I wanted to be out with my mates, but long story short because of what he did, I’ve ended up with a work ethic out of it. You don’t hear many kids doing the same now....

Generation X wasn’t responsible for the snowflakes and isn’t the selfish bastards with gold plated pensions who vote Tory and brexit.

Let’s stop another generation of fuckwits while we can.

Although to be fair you seem to be playing your part.

Generation X were still a pain in the arse though.

Instead of being wailing fannies they were moody, overly cynical, “above it all” bellends.

Generation X wasn’t responsible for the snowflakes and isn’t the selfish bastards with gold plated pensions who vote Tory and brexit.

I think I’m going a stellar job of making sure there isn’t another generation of fucktards :D

What’s the period Gen X was born in? I believe I’m a millennial with Gen X parents.

No, there’s not much iirc. Will try and find a BBC article on it, basically explaining that the same charges have been levelled at every generation for as long as people can remember.

True, but that’s isn’t the whole picture IMO.

The term “Generation Snowflake” wasn’t just plucked out of thin air. People noticed that the young adults of the late noughties through to the 2010s are far more likely to take offence and find opposing views to their own difficult to deal with. There’s got to be something in it.

What’s the period Gen X was born in? I believe I’m a millennial with Gen X parents.

They were born in the late 70s and had their adolescence in the mid 90s.

True, but that’s isn’t the whole picture IMO.

The term “Generation Snowflake” wasn’t just plucked out of thin air. People noticed that the young adults of the late noughties through to the 2010s are far more likely to take offence and find opposing views to their own difficult to deal with. There’s got to be something in it.

Are we sure? A quick flick through any social media platform will reveal hordes of 60 something year olds with pixelated profile pictures taken from an unflattering angle on a very poor phone camera liking and sharing things that outrage them, but which often aren’t actually true.

BB: 45-65
GX: 65-85
MN: 85-05
GY: 05-25

Roughly.

My parents are both Generation X then.

They were born in the late 70s and had their adolescence in the mid 90s.

By this definition they’re not. Late 60s.

Are we sure? A quick flick through any social media platform will reveal hordes of 60 something year olds with pixelated profile pictures taken from an unflattering angle on a very poor phone camera liking and sharing things that outrage them, but which often aren’t actually true.

Reactionary rage is similar but not the same as not being able to air your political views unless you’re in a “safe space” or needing a trigger warning prior to a university lecture.

In your view, is it a completely unjustified label?

I think millenials may know more about subjects they are interested in due to the ease of getting information from the internet. However I would also guess that due to social media sites they would tend to band together with other people who already agree with them and where they can get the all important "like" for their comments so I think from that point of view they may be more narrow minded. I think the collapse of manufacturing in the UK means that they are much less likely to be practical minded.
This is canny spot on.

Reactionary rage is similar but not the same as not being able to air your political views unless you’re in a “safe space” or needing a trigger warning prior to a university lecture.

In your view, is it a completely unjustified label?

I don’t recocgnise your characterisation of universities (2009-2012 as an undergrad, 2012-2016 as a postgrad) so from that stand point yes, I think it is unjustified.

I have heard more and more about it in very recent years but can’t help but suspect it’s being heavily overstated.

Then there’s the fact that people espousing that ‘reactionary rage’ will often try to implement similar strategies - ‘Well it’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it.’ In the face of a constructive, facts based argument. The difference is they typically don’t have control of a student union to do anything about it.

Last edited:
I tend to view Generation X as moody 18-19 year olds wearing long sleeved jumpers, drinking black coffee and listening to the Smashing Pumpkins all day in 1995.

That’s the stereotype I recognise as well, which doesn’t fit my parents, but then they’re definitely not baby boomers either.

We need more granularity in these generation boundaries!

Back