House Re-pointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stevie Freestein IIStriker

'' Mortar was removed using angle grinders.''

I spent 35 years supervising building works. I was a traditionalist. If any body came and tried to angle grind any repointing works I was looking after I'd have had them removed from site.What will often happen if angle grinders are used is that you will lose the arris of the brick ( the corner ) and it will look crap. I have seen some horror jobs with hand held grinders. Plugging chisel is still the best way particularly on a domestic job. Price- well you get what you pay for .
Had my house repointed before I sold it last year. A young brickie foreman did it - £120 quid a day, three bed semi and I provided the scaffold separately . Cost me £1200 and I was really pleased.
The brickie even did half a dozen mortar samples so the texture and colour would continue to match the neighbours.
Good point

Whatever the cost, get it done. My gable end fell owa ten to midnight new yeas eve 2006. What a fuckibg start that was!
Mean Machine 1981post: 16734544 said:
I live in a 3 bedroom semi and I have been quoted at £1350 for the whole house to be done Good price? I think so but no experience in this at all so anybody with experience on general cost appreciated.

A surprisingly interesting thread. :lol:

Our house was built in the 1920's and needs some pointing doing. Semi detached. However we had an extension built on the side so effectively all we need doing is the bit at the front and the bit at the back.

A quick question though and hopefully a sensible answer will be forthcoming; what about the bit at the side that is now hidden? Clearly that cant now be pointed so is there now a potential and hidden problem?

A surprisingly interesting thread. :lol:

Our house was built in the 1920's and needs some pointing doing. Semi detached. However we had an extension built on the side so effectively all we need doing is the bit at the front and the bit at the back.

A quick question though and hopefully a sensible answer will be forthcoming; what about the bit at the side that is now hidden? Clearly that cant now be pointed so is there now a potential and hidden problem?
Exactly what's the point

I got a 3-bed semi re-pointed and it cost about £2k IIRC.

I got it done by a GunPoint franchise. They take all of the old pointing out and then use an injection gun to make sure that it's re-pointed to the right depth.

http://www.gunpointlimited.co.uk/licensees/
Wouldnt they just fill what was grinded out? I used one of those guns years ago and it was just a big mastic gun, no depth filling technology :confused:

Wouldnt they just fill what was grinded out? I used one of those guns years ago and it was just a big mastic gun, no depth filling technology :confused:
:lol: depth filling technoligy, it's pointing, there's no f***ing technoligy involved, just sand and cement, you scrape the fucker in then smooth it off with a pointing trowel, fuck me people suck this bullshit in by the spade full.

The only way to be sure is to re-lay the lot, brick by brick - yer dinnit want yer gable end fallin ower do yer?

Ok stuff about middle class problems from one poster and black ash pointing from another.
Before that evil cow thatcher wrecked the old working class there was a thing called a craft tradition. The working class were the custodians. I've met building graduates with less knowledge than a brickie had back in the 60's. It is NOT middle class to worry about the best pointing for your drum. It is an honouring of a working class tradition where men were not only men but craftsman and artisans.[DOUBLEPOST=1389742999][/DOUBLEPOST]
Exactly what's the point
Ha.. As the lecturer said...is mortar there to keep the bricks apart or to glue them together. Frankly if the brickwork isn't exposed then there is little problem. Think about it even when repointed the depth of repointing is rarely 25mm deep. The rest of the joint can and often is very weak but the repointing provides a frost free barrier and also a barrier to moisture infiltration. As long as there is no other issue such as say sulphate attack which is relatively rare then there wont be a problem.[DOUBLEPOST=1389743247][/DOUBLEPOST]
Whatever the cost, get it done. My gable end fell owa ten to midnight new yeas eve 2006. What a fuckibg start that was!
doubt if that was pointing more likely negative wind pressure and a poor set of brick ties. I was once working on a remedial site in Basingstoke and every gable end was lost in one storm. Each one hadn;t had a single cavity tie installed..

Last edited:
:lol: depth filling technoligy, it's pointing, there's no f***ing technoligy involved, just sand and cement, you scrape the fucker in then smooth it off with a pointing trowel, fuck me people suck this bullshit in by the spade full.
Thought a traditionalist like you would include lime there Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back