House Re-pointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a 3 bedroom semi and I have been quoted at £1350 for the whole house to be done Good price? I think so but no experience in this at all so anybody with experience on general cost appreciated.

How long do they reckon it's going to take them?

Keep in mind there's very little material cost, so it's basically just a question of what day-rate you're prepared to pay to someone.

For what it's worth, i'm having some done to my place and it's costing me £100.

How long do they reckon it's going to take them?

Keep in mind there's very little material cost, so it's basically just a question of what day-rate you're prepared to pay to someone.

For what it's worth, i'm having some done to my place and it's costing me £100.

Somebody quoted me between £2000 and £3000 so when this price come back I wondered if this was too good to be true.

It's going to take 6 - 7 days. so £200 a day aint bad. I still want 2 more quotes like. But so far I am liking it.

Somebody quoted me between £2000 and £3000 so when this price come back I wondered if this was too good to be true.

It's going to take 6 - 7 days. so £200 a day aint bad. I still want 2 more quotes like. But so far I am liking it.

£200 a day is quite a lot for relatively unskilled work IMHO.

Shite job mind.

Yes, but they will get their scaffolding up, then tell you it needs extra work and the bill will be 50% higher.

I got a 3-bed semi re-pointed and it cost about £2k IIRC.

I got it done by a GunPoint franchise. They take all of the old pointing out and then use an injection gun to make sure that it's re-pointed to the right depth.

http://www.gunpointlimited.co.uk/licensees/

They any good ?

I had mine done not long back and it cost me about £2k, lots of bricks replaced and cavity cleaned out so I though that was a fair price, but I am not 100% happy with it and thinking of getting it re-done by GunPoint.

They any good ?

I had mine done not long back and it cost me about £2k, lots of bricks replaced and cavity cleaned out so I though that was a fair price, but I am not 100% happy with it and thinking of getting it re-done by GunPoint.

Hello m8, I have made some room in my in-box if you want to PM.

Mine was done by a company near Uttoxeter which is about 15 miles from where I live.

I was happy with the work, seemed expensive but I'd heard some horror stories.

Hello m8, I have made some room in my in-box if you want to PM.

Mine was done by a company near Uttoxeter which is about 15 miles from where I live.

I was happy with the work, seemed expensive but I'd heard some horror stories.

Is it neat ?

They organised the scaffold - perhaps cheaper if you know someone in the trade.

They temporarily removed cabling etc. on the walls.

Mortar was removed using angle grinders. Re-pointed then they returned after a few days and cleaned off the walls.

I'm on a water meter so the bloke went marching up the street with a hose to look for a fire hydrant to use.[DOUBLEPOST=1389718187][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is it neat ?

As neat as tiger feet. I could try to find a photo but the house is being rented out at the moment.[DOUBLEPOST=1389718224][/DOUBLEPOST]If you contact a GunPoint licensee you could ask to see examples of the work?

Stevie Freestein IIStriker

'' Mortar was removed using angle grinders.''

I spent 35 years supervising building works. I was a traditionalist. If any body came and tried to angle grind any repointing works I was looking after I'd have had them removed from site.What will often happen if angle grinders are used is that you will lose the arris of the brick ( the corner ) and it will look crap. I have seen some horror jobs with hand held grinders. Plugging chisel is still the best way particularly on a domestic job. Price- well you get what you pay for .
Had my house repointed before I sold it last year. A young brickie foreman did it - £120 quid a day, three bed semi and I provided the scaffold separately . Cost me £1200 and I was really pleased.
The brickie even did half a dozen mortar samples so the texture and colour would continue to match the neighbours.

Stevie Freestein IIStriker

'' Mortar was removed using angle grinders.''

I spent 35 years supervising building works. I was a traditionalist. If any body came and tried to angle grind any repointing works I was looking after I'd have had them removed from site.What will often happen if angle grinders are used is that you will lose the arris of the brick ( the corner ) and it will look crap. I have seen some horror jobs with hand held grinders. Plugging chisel is still the best way particularly on a domestic job. Price- well you get what you pay for .
Had my house repointed before I sold it last year. A young brickie foreman did it - £120 quid a day, three bed semi and I provided the scaffold separately . Cost me £1200 and I was really pleased.
The brickie even did half a dozen mortar samples so the texture and colour would continue to match the neighbours.

The mortar is the only thing that has me contemplating getting mine redone, I went for a black died mortar to replicate black ash like the olden days but the colour is different in waves, you can see how much they had done per day :lol:

Hate owt like that.

The mortar is the only thing that has me contemplating getting mine redone, I went for a black died mortar to replicate black ash like the olden days but the colour is different in waves, you can see how much they had done per day :lol:

Hate owt like that.

Middle class problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back