Houghton Cut

Piece of black tarmac kicked up a right fuss in my local and got booted out by the barman. Then this piece of green tarmac comes in, acts like a right bellend, but the barman just keeps serving him free pints whenever he demands them, shitting himself.
When the green tarmac walked out I asked the barman why he dealt with the black tarmac so quickly but was so sheepish with the other.

He said "Mux lad, black tarmac is black tarmac, but that other ones a cyclepath"

I used to like you.

Last edited:

I heard a story about back in the day the passengers used to have to get off the bus so the bus could drive up Houghton Cut
We’ve done that plenty of times with a Ford Tranny mini bus on the way home from a match years ago.

Everyone out, 2nd gear all the way to the top then jump back in lads.

We’ve done that plenty of times with a Ford Tranny mini bus on the way home from a match years ago.

Everyone out, 2nd gear all the way to the top then jump back in lads.
For a moment I thought you were talking about a transgender Sunderland fan from one of Sunderlands large council estates.

It was a dangerous road one time- i believe the camber of the road was opposite to what it should be.
A car load of lads from my school were killed there in 1984. Tragic.

It was a dangerous road one time- i believe the camber of the road was opposite to what it should be.
A car load of lads from my school were killed there in 1984. Tragic.
I remember that. Think they hit one of the supporting pillars on the left as you approached the Cut. The scars on the pillar were visible for a long while afterwards.

Bede wasn't it?

It was definitely steeper before 1968 - 70 when it was improved and widened.
I was on a bus once before then which slid down the cut sideways on the icy road. Luckily there was nothing coming up and the driver managed to straighten up before the bottom!

Piece of black tarmac kicked up a right fuss in my local and got booted out by the barman. Then this piece of green tarmac comes in, acts like a right bellend, but the barman just keeps serving him free pints whenever he demands them, shitting himself.

When the green tarmac walked out I asked the barman why he dealt with the black tarmac so quickly but was so sheepish with the other.

He said "Mux lad, black tarmac is black tarmac, but that other ones a cyclepath"
Malteser and a smartie are sitting in the pub and smarties giving it the big one "Hard as fuck me Malteser, toughest chocolate sweet in here, anybody want a go, then come on 'Ave it"

Victory V walks in and smartie dives straight under the table.

"What's going on there then smartie? Thought you were hard as fuck haha" says malteser.

"I am, but that's Victory V man, he's f***ing menthol"

Malteser and a smartie are sitting in the pub and smarties giving it the big one "Hard as fuck me Malteser, toughest chocolate sweet in here, anybody want a go, then come on 'Ave it"

Victory V walks in and smartie dives straight under the table.

"What's going on there then smartie? Thought you were hard as fuck haha" says malteser.

"I am, but that's Victory V man, he's f***ing menthol"
I like it but have you got the right thread?
@Malloy

Dug by frenchie prisoners iirc, which inspired the fancy Gallic suffix for houghton.
How does that account for Chester-le-Street, Hetton-le-Hole etc?
The le Spring was summit to do with early settlers, not frogs?
Fenchouses apparently got its name as that's where the French pows were kept
Always thought it was Norman related?

Last edited:

Back