Hong Kong security law - now passed

Why not ask the citizens of Hong Kong?

I think you'll find that they would far rather go back to being a British colony.....
There was always trepidation in the run up to '97,large amounts of Hong Kong citizens left Honkers for pastures new, they never considered themselves Chinese they were Hong Kongers, I know people come out with this colonial oppression catch-phrase for the colonies, but seriously there was an air of uncertainty back then in that incredible city, for many there was mourning when we left.

Last edited:

Before anyone eulogises 'plucky little Hong Kong' it's worth looking at the way they treat the almost 600,000 domestic servants from Indonesia and The Philippines. I'm over in HK about a dozen times a year and I know a lot of these (mostly) girls from the aforementioned countries. They absolutely hate the HK people for the way they are treated. There are loads of people in HK who would still like to be part of the old British Empire, but there are just as many who consider themselves as HK Chinese. It largely depends on which area of HK you go to. It's a lot more complex than the narrative presented in the West.

Before anyone eulogises 'plucky little Hong Kong' it's worth looking at the way they treat the almost 600,000 domestic servants from Indonesia and The Philippines. I'm over in HK about a dozen times a year and I know a lot of these (mostly) girls from the aforementioned countries. They absolutely hate the HK people for the way they are treated. There are loads of people in HK who would still like to be part of the old British Empire, but there are just as many who consider themselves as HK Chinese. It largely depends on which area of HK you go to. It's a lot more complex than the narrative presented in the West.
Sex tourist? ;)

Sex tourist? ;)
Hahaha. No mate, I used to do a bit of work there and got to know a Filipino girl. I go over and see her when I get a bit of free time. I don't really like HK much at all, but I enjoy going out to the islands like Lamma and Chau Cheng. It's like a different world there. Lamma in particular is a fantastic place.

I very much doubt millions of Hong Kongers will be heading over here. First, of those 3 million eligible only a fraction would want to leave their homeland despite it all. Second, if they did want to move away there are some who may want to live in USA, Canada, Australia, NZ, Europe or somewhere else. Third, the Chinese want to turn HK and the surrounding regions (Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Macao) into their version of Silicon Valley by 2035 apparently which will offer great economic opportunity.

If I was to make a guess about how many will move over I'd say 50,000 to 100,000 and mostly around the London area.

They absolutely hate the HK people for the way they are treated
Most don't hate their Chinese employers to be honest, hate is a strong word, I speak decent enough visaya, I lived in Hong Kong for a number of years and w
Hahaha. No mate, I used to do a bit of work there and got to know a Filipino girl. I go over and see her when I get a bit of free time. I don't really like HK much at all, but I enjoy going out to the islands like Lamma and Chau Cheng. It's like a different world there. Lamma in particular is a fantastic place.
Lamma used to be the old hippy hang out 30 years back, more affluent ex-pats used to be on lantau, I was in mid-levels, I am back there once a year.

I've never had the opportunity to see that part of the world as can't handle long flights but will look at pics on Google :)

Most don't hate their Chinese employers to be honest, hate is a strong word, I speak decent enough visaya, I lived in Hong Kong for a number of years and w
Lamma used to be the old hippy hang out 30 years back, more affluent ex-pats used to be on lantau, I was in mid-levels, I am back there once a year.
Ha, still loads of old hippies on Lamma. We'll have to disagree on the attitude of the domestic servants to their HK employers. I know loads of them and they are unanimous in their dislike of their employers. Not without good reason I might add. They treat them like shite for the most part and the law in HK offers very little protection. Breaks my heart to see thousands of them hanging out under flyovers and in subways each Sunday because their employers don't want them hanging about their place of work on their days off. During lockdown many of them are forced to stay home and as a consequence their employers get them working on their day off, for no money. Rotten system and the employers who exploit them are vile people. Tey go on the streets and riot for 'freedom' but happily exploit others.

Ha, still loads of old hippies on Lamma. We'll have to disagree on the attitude of the domestic servants to their HK employers. I know loads of them and they are unanimous in their dislike of their employers. Not without good reason I might add. They treat them like shite for the most part and the law in HK offers very little protection. Breaks my heart to see thousands of them hanging out under flyovers and in subways each Sunday because their employers don't want them hanging about their place of work on their days off. During lockdown many of them are forced to stay home and as a consequence their employers get them working on their day off, for no money. Rotten system and the employers who exploit them are vile people. Tey go on the streets and riot for 'freedom' but happily exploit others.
Dislike is different from hate, your figures are also wrong, it's 400k not 600k (unless it's gone up by 200k since lasy year) ,i speak decent enough filipino (visayan) having lived and worked in the far East for years, the PI has always been a source of cheap labour, don't hate the player, hate the game, without remittances from OFW's buoyying it up the PI would be on its arse.

Dislike is different from hate, your figures are also wrong, it's 400k not 600k (unless it's gone up by 200k since lasy year) ,i speak decent enough filipino (visayan) having lived and worked in the far East for years, the PI has always been a source of cheap labour, don't hate the player, hate the game, without remittances from OFW's buoyying it up the PI would be on its arse.
It's possible to hate the game and the players of it. You might be right on the 400k figure. Either way, they are treated like shit. There's no excuse for it, none at all. I don't speak Visayan, but I speak a fair bit of Chinese and my English isn't too shabby... most of the lasses I know there speak very good English. I wouldn't say hate is too strong a word either, it's the words they use themselves. Widespread and systematic abuse. I could give you hundreds of examples.

It's possible to hate the game and the players of it. You might be right on the 400k figure. Either way, they are treated like shit. There's no excuse for it, none at all. I don't speak Visayan, but I speak a fair bit of Chinese and my English isn't too shabby... most of the lasses I know there speak very good English. I wouldn't say hate is too strong a word either, it's the words they use themselves. Widespread and systematic abuse. I could give you hundreds of examples.
I lived there, my kids still live there, I heard lots say they dislike their employers,far less said hate over the years, of course there's abuse, as there is in most countries with cheap imported labour, sad but true.

Will our government live up to its promise to allow HK citizens to come to the UK?

Up to 3,000,000 applications for visas.

What do you think?

(Oops, think this should be in the politics thread, mods!)
Don't go there it's full of nutters!
Bring them over. Co Durham could do with fresh ideas and has lots of empty homes. Hong Consett anyone?
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Bring them over. Co Durham could do with fresh ideas and has lots of empty homes. Hong Consett anyone?
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
We might get some decent chinese food at last!
Strange, that's the first thing I thought of too :lol:

Last edited:
"Inward looking, migrant hating, little Britain"
Another one of Project Fear's lies bites the dust

Little Britain likes Bangladeshi and Chinese immigrants as they offer more cheap takeaway options. They don't want those Euro toffs bringing their opera, patisserie and polka.

Little Britain likes Bangladeshi and Chinese immigrants as they offer more cheap takeaway options. They don't want those Euro toffs bringing their opera, patisserie and polka.
"Hong Kongers = cheap Chinese takeaway"?

Either blinded by little Europe EU nationalism, or a compete lack of awareness.

A lot of young Hong Kongers are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

They have an independent identity to mainlanders and would like to taste democracy so they can have a say on the declining economy and their future prospects. They don't have that now and won't get it from greater integration with China.

Despite the offer from the UK you have to wonder how many can afford to take it up. Even if China backed off and allowed greater autonomy, you'd have to wonder what their prospects would be.

Back