Homebrewing - Part 3

Been cleaning my shed out today and found 3 cases of elderflower and 2 cases of lager that was brewed in match 2013! Is 18months in the bottle going to give an off flavour or an awesome flavour?

Re: Homebrewing - Part 2

Not sure i its been said before but can you use steradent to sterilise? ran out of Steriliser today! :(
Try Milton

Anyone heard of the southwark brewing company? 18 Sunderland London branch members and mates on an industrial scale.

Did anyone see my question about my IPA - Should the plastic bottles go solid like they do for ciders/lagers?

As they're not. After 3 weeks.
Yes. Your conditioning will still produce co2.

Just on a wilkos hoppy copper bitter. It's not bad but tastes a bit like John smiths. had better and cheaper ones from the local hb shop. Better brew IPA, had far more flavour.

Might brew me next Wilko one short.

Logon or register to see this image
Try it with 1kg of dark malt. It makes a cheap brew taste expensive

Last edited:
Found a load of blackberries and apples yesterday, anyone got any recipes for scrumpy/cider or blackberry wine?

Apples are quite sour, but taste great. Not sure if they are good for cider? But fancy giving it a go, absolutely shit loads of apple trees I found while out with the dog.
I just boiled about 5lb blackberries and added 1kg of sugar for my wine. It was a slow fermenter and I opened the first bottle on Saturday and it is very good. Been bottled for about 6 months.

I am going to attempt a scrumpy this week using apples from the tree at work. No idea if I need to add any sugar but will do a bit of research before I do.

Sh
I just boiled about 5lb blackberries and added 1kg of sugar for my wine. It was a slow fermenter and I opened the first bottle on Saturday and it is very good. Been bottled for about 6 months.

I am going to attempt a scrumpy this week using apples from the tree at work. No idea if I need to add any sugar but will do a bit of research before I do.
Shouldnt need to if they wind falls.

Reet, am going to set me plum wine away tonight. I have a recipe that involves the whole fruit and takes a fair bit of work. Will the wine turn out as well if I just juice all the plums and hoy it in a demijohn as normal?

Reet, am going to set me plum wine away tonight. I have a recipe that involves the whole fruit and takes a fair bit of work. Will the wine turn out as well if I just juice all the plums and hoy it in a demijohn as normal?

Dunno but I squeezed the life out of rhubarb pulp and the wine is canny cloudy, apparently that's a side effect of squeezing rhubarb.

It may not matter if the plum wine is red, but it's probably worth a quick google

Been cleaning my shed out today and found 3 cases of elderflower and 2 cases of lager that was brewed in match 2013! Is 18months in the bottle going to give an off flavour or an awesome flavour?
Cleared the garage today and found 2 bottles of 2 year old Irish stout. Absolute nectar. :cool:

Been on the Elderberry Wine a fair bit this last week, the ones I nabbed a load of last year from Tesco, at something daft like £2 for a 6 bottle kit. It's a really nice brew and along with Cherry wine has kept me nicely plastered.

A re,minder that Wilkos are still doing a few cheapish brews.

Wherry is £14.25 and Wilkos Real Ale/Golden Ale are £12.75.
Being two can kits they of course don't need brewing sugar so well worth getting.
Having said that the Wilkos brewing sugar is currently only £1.50 so worth stocking up anyway.

New sugar in the Sunderland wilko today. The wife was kind enough to get me a Wherry kit and a 30 bottle white wine kit. Just juiced 4lb of plums and boiled the juice up with 1kg of sugar. Just waiting for the mix to cool down so I can hoy the yeast in.

New sugar in the Sunderland wilko today. The wife was kind enough to get me a Wherry kit and a 30 bottle white wine kit. Just juiced 4lb of plums and boiled the juice up with 1kg of sugar. Just waiting for the mix to cool down so I can hoy the yeast in.

about time, shelves have been empty for about 3 weeks

My plum wine, is 1.8kg of plums, jar of honey & 1kg of sugar
Got 4 gallon on the go, 2 red & 2 yellow.

Back