Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to go to the euros either Munich or Budapest also want a separate holiday for a week things always come along at once my cousin if studying in Barcelona as well so wouldn't mind a visit.

Budapest is class and cheap mind, never looked at the euro venues mind, father in law has a membership at ferencvaros so wonder if they get dibs on tickets

They aren't free

If you pay money and get something then you've bought something. Good luck getting one for free

Once again putting words into my mouth. I am not saying getting it for free. You are the one that is implying I said get it for free.

I am merely implying I have always regarded such financial transactions as "paying for" not "buying". To me it has always been my perception the difference between the two terms has been you "buy" a tin of baked beans and you "pay" for a season ticket. If I want a bar of chocolate I "buy it". Anything consumable like food I "buy". Anything non-consumable, particularly documents of importance like a season card a driving license I "pay for".

When referring to things like a passport or driving license I have never to my mind used the term "buy". I have always used the words "pay the cost of".

Once again putting words into my mouth. I am not saying getting it for free. You are the one that is implying I said get it for free.

I am merely implying I have always regarded such financial transactions as "paying for" not "buying". To me it has always been my perception the difference between the two terms has been you "buy" a tin of baked beans and you "pay" for a season ticket. If I want a bar of chocolate I "buy it". Anything consumable like food I "buy". Anything non-consumable, particularly documents of importance like a season card a driving license I "pay for".

When referring to things like a passport or driving license I have never to my mind used the term "buy". I have always used the words "pay the cost of".
Bloody hell. It’s Peter the Pedant.

I'm surprised you sleep at night. I bet your lass doesn't struggle though.

That seems to be the consistent feedback on Pisa. Our trip to Florence was ace although shorter than originally planned so we didn’t visit anywhere else on Tuscany.

We’ll definitely be going back going and hopefully staying in the countryside and exploring the different towns and cities. Will check Luca out along with Siena and Bologna.

Lisbon is a fantastic city. Amazing food and a great place to just hang out. If you have the time I’d recommend a day trip to Sintra.
I thought Pisa was as nice as Florence, and less busy - didn't help that I got a 175 euro fine in the latter for driving into the centre of the city - had no idea where I was going, since found there is cameras everywhere and tourists almost always fall into that trap if they are driving

Where is everyone off to this year after the play off final?

last year, I threw a dart at a map of the world and decided to go to wherever it landed. I had a fantastic two weeks sat next to the skirting board.

Nowt better than just letting the ironing build up and not giving a fuck. That is freedom.

Florence has been on my to do list for a few years. I now live within a 4.5 hour drive and we have various friends going there this year so looks like i’ll have 3 trips there this year! One will hopefully change to Pisa and Tuscany as opposed to Florence specifically.

Outside of that ages weekend trips around Switzerland and Northern Italy. Verona looks like it could be a good place to visit and heard good things about Leko.

Florence is outstanding, mate. Both the city and the area around. Absolutely stunning driving around the countryside at about 6 at night when the sun is starting to set, and the Duomo is a special construction - I've seen nothing like it.

Last edited:
Florence is lovely. Stayed in a nice hotel between the Duomo and SAN Lorenzo church. Lovely restaurant next to the church. Food upstairs in the market was nice too

We got told this by a few people so went this yr. Kids are 3 & 1.
Stayed in Cala'n bosch and didn't rate it t all. Nice looking place but seemed more for old folk than young families. The marina has a few restaurants, fine if you want to eat but nothing much else. The water park was tiny and didn't seem much else to do within walking distance. Maybe we were in the wrong area or at the wrong time of year (middle of May) but wouldn't want to go back there.

Heard better things about Cala'n forcat so might try that one year.
Best place I've been in Menorca, my kids loved it. every bar or restaurant has either a soft play, park area, trampolines etc so my 3 were entertained whenever we went out for a bite to eat or a drink. Decent sized water park, there was a go cart track, Jimmy Hills (i know) was basically a load of bars looking onto a stage area, with evening entertainment, the bars had a soft play out the back. A short walk and your at Cala'n Blanes beach which has a big pirate ship play area on the beach, and one of the bars got the barman to dress up as captain jack for a pirate hunt each day, this kept the kids entertained for an hour or so. Plus i just think the fact that its small beach coves rather than huge packed beaches makes it easier with kids as they can go out quite far whilst the water is still shallow and calm.

will definitely be going back to Cala'n forcat

I thought Pisa was as nice as Florence, and less busy - didn't help that I got a 175 euro fine in the latter for driving into the centre of the city - had no idea where I was going, since found there is cameras everywhere and tourists almost always fall into that trap if they are driving

I agree, think because there’s nothing to do there other than the tower area people put it down. Found it to be a pleasant place to spend the day

Best place I've been in Menorca, my kids loved it. every bar or restaurant has either a soft play, park area, trampolines etc so my 3 were entertained whenever we went out for a bite to eat or a drink. Decent sized water park, there was a go cart track, Jimmy Hills (i know) was basically a load of bars looking onto a stage area, with evening entertainment, the bars had a soft play out the back. A short walk and your at Cala'n Blanes beach which has a big pirate ship play area on the beach, and one of the bars got the barman to dress up as captain jack for a pirate hunt each day, this kept the kids entertained for an hour or so. Plus i just think the fact that its small beach coves rather than huge packed beaches makes it easier with kids as they can go out quite far whilst the water is still shallow and calm.

will definitely be going back to Cala'n forcat
That sounds exactly like what we were looking for. Will be giving this a try then, cheers for that.

Reactions: JGC
I'm off to Serbia and Croatia next week like. Giving Belgrade a try as it looks decent and the hotel and beer prices are cheap! Tempted to go up to Novi sad too then Split and the Croatian islands. Anyone done Serbia?

I'm off to Serbia and Croatia next week like. Giving Belgrade a try as it looks decent and the hotel and beer prices are cheap! Tempted to go up to Novi sad too then Split and the Croatian islands. Anyone done Serbia?

Bol on the Croatian island of Brac was one of my favourite holidays. Cracking food in Restaurant Pumparela right on the harbour. Bol's a small place but home to the beautiful shingle beach called 'Zlatani Rat' that adorns many Croatia postcards. I wish I was there now :cool:

Logon or register to see this image

Yeah all the islands round there look amazing. Can you get to brac from Split easy enough? I'm just looking at going to Hvar I think.

Yeah all the islands round there look amazing. Can you get to brac from Split easy enough? I'm just looking at going to Hvar I think.
You can go direct from Split Airport to Bol on a new ferry service and also direct from Split Harbour to Bol though that latter route has limited times. There are frequent ferrires throughout the day from Split harbour to Supetar on the other side of Brac then it's a 50 Euro taxi across to Bol or a local bus if you go that route.

This website shows all of Croatia's ferry timetables so it's an excellent guide for island hopping:

Croatia Ferry Schedules and Timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back