Holiday nightmares

😂 shellshocked.

I cant even bear a couple of bus hours. Why would you put yourself through it 😂

I did nine hours on a rickety old bus (not a coach) in the Himalayas. It was the longest 18 hours of my life. When I first got on I sat on the back seat. The conductor said "I wouldn't recommend you sit there". Within a few minutes I could see why, it was like sitting on one end of a seesaw with a 40 stone bloke at the other. Every bump you went a foot in the air. Soon moved to a seat in the middle.

Went to Bruges between Christmas and New Year about 10 years ago and got flu almost immediately. Foolishly went away without packing any medicines or painkillers or owt and all the shops/pharmacies were closed because of the time of year, so I spent 4 days in Bruges in bed shivering and sweating while my ex pottered about on her tod. Managed to go out one night and ate frogs legs and chips.

Shite.

The tall ships was simultaneously the worst and best holiday ever. You haven’t lived until you’ve sat eating your Sunday roast in a room that’s pitching and rolling with the entire floor covered in puke, and people in bunks all round you adding to it constantly.
I was the only person out of 45 crew who managed to eat their dinner.

Arrived in Benidorm, sitting round the pool on the first day, heard a scream and turned to see a lad falling off the 8th floor balcony and landing on the concrete beside us. We had to comfort him, get an ambulance, find the rep and deal with the local TV when they arrived. He died in hospital.
Actually the rep was a Sunderland lad, might post on here?
Now that IS a bad holiday.

Had a day in London, Wembley stadium was nice, Borini scored a cracker, got beat, journey home was a nightmare.

Last edited:
The Loud Canadian thread got my reminiscing about an absolutely minging holiday I went on the Christmas before last in Mexico.

The flight was delayed for about 4 hours, we got on the plane to find there was no in-flight entertainment.

Flew into Cancun and due to traffic, roadworks and a lack of fuel the journey to the apartment took absolutely ages.

Got there and the apartment complex was in the middle of a building site. We'd been given the wrong code for the lockbox so we were sat outside the gaff waiting for someone to let us in. When they finally came they'd brought the wrong keys.

The kip was half finished. There was no kitchen tap so water just sprayed all over when you turned on the water. There had been a tropical storm so the roof terrace/bbq/hot tub were unusable. It had also knocked the hot water and the power out.

There was non-stop digging and hammering all day long. We both got food poisoning and were shitting and spewing all over. The place was swarming with loud Americans, everything cost a fortune.

I fell asleep in the sun and got sun stroke. We broke up when we got home.

Can anyone beat that?
We went to Malta all inclusive and the hotel was like faulty towers. When we got there one room wasn't ready and they wanted to split the 4 of us into two rooms just for the night, when we went to the first room the ceiling fan was hanging off so we piled into the one room. The place looked like Beirut even on the photos but it was paid for by me mar so couldn't really say owt. The food was awful so we ate out every day. It's the only bad hotel I've had, the actual holiday was fine though

Logon or register to see this image

(Incident, rather than nightmare, sorry)

Years ago, in France.....'camping a la ferme'........only people on the site. Pitched tent next to a river.

Went out for a meal.......came back and had a blazing row with the missus.

She stormed off into the tent, leaving me in a camping chair reading a book.

I kept leaning the chair back, absent mindedly and of course. leaned too far.....falling into the river with a big splash.

As I stood up to my chest in the water....all I could hear was the sound of laughter from the tent!

Thanks pet! :rolleyes:

I went to Cyprus about 20 years ago. Like you our flight was delayed. When we got there we got the keys to our apartment which was about half a mile away. We were knackered when we got there.

Once in the rooms were full of dust from the building of a new road out the balcony. We complained and were told there was no more rooms but would send the cleaners. We walked back to discover our luggage was covered in dust. When the cleaner arrived she was flabbergasted by how much dust there was. She then complained to reception which then miraculously found a room so off we tottled with our dusty luggage half a mile to reception.

We were took to this other apartment but were told it was only for one night. As we were settling in I noticed these antenna like things sticking out from under the fridge. I got my fishing rod and wiggled it under the fridge. Now I done like cockroaches (shit scared of them) but this massive mouse sized fucker ran out from under the fridge and ran under the sofa which we were standing on. Fuck what do I do now? Me our lass (no) the daughter (no) all screamed in fear. The Mrs (no) got the courage to go to the phone and call reception. They sent a janitor who just laughed at us screaming as he chased around the room. Did we not want to stay in that room!

Later we went out for our dinners and upon returning back to our room we had only been burgled. We had only been on our hols for 4 hours and just wanted to come home 😩

We moved to our new apartment the next day so things did improve but there were bloody massive cockroaches all over due to the building work. Shit holiday all round the knars
Go to the North Pole next time - no cockroaches there.

We went to Malta all inclusive and the hotel was like faulty towers. When we got there one room wasn't ready and they wanted to split the 4 of us into two rooms just for the night, when we went to the first room the ceiling fan was hanging off so we piled into the one room. The place looked like Beirut even on the photos but it was paid for by me mar so couldn't really say owt. The food was awful so we ate out every day. It's the only bad hotel I've had, the actual holiday was fine though

Logon or register to see this image
Those huges fences to keep folk in? Or out? 😉

(Incident, rather than nightmare, sorry)

Years ago, in France.....'camping a la ferme'........only people on the site. Pitched tent next to a river.

Went out for a meal.......came back and had a blazing row with the missus.

She stormed off into the tent, leaving me in a camping chair reading a book.

I kept leaning the chair back, absent mindedly and of course. leaned too far.....falling into the river with a big splash.

As I stood up to my chest in the water....all I could hear was the sound of laughter from the tent!

Thanks pet! :rolleyes:
She was probably only gutted she didn’t actually see it happen.

Serves you right for being mean to her.

Not a nightmare but I did lose aircon for 48hours in Jamaica.

Went off Sunday night during the night so we woke up sweating.
Reported on the Monday morning.
Asked on the afternoon, if it was sorted, yes, we were told.
Back to the room and it wasn't
Back to reception.
As I arrived, about 20 people were at the desk, turns out the whole block was off
I readied myself for a wait, then I realised that everyone else was American.
Boy, those guys can complain.
Reception started taking room numbers, dishing out fans, buckets of ice, cash, vouchers, free exclusive club access, premium restaurant booking and all sorts.
I got near to the front this British women started complaining and just got fobbed off.
So when I got to the front I said in my best American accent "Hey buddy, 214, where the air man!"
I walked off with a bag full of stuff and clutching 2 huge fans.
Air came back on during the night. Bloody freezing when I woke up :)

I’ve been there too. And Maryport.
We had a weekend away in that area and ended up staying in a guesthouse halfway between Cockermouth and Maryport. I didn't mind Maryport it has some interesting shops and pubs. I think the worst place I've been to in the UK is Barnsley. Or possibly Pontefract.

Back