Hoaders

My Dad was a compulsive hoarder - we're just about finished clearing the house (taken nearly a year of weekends) - we joke about it, but it isn't that funny, really.

Fortunately perishables were frozen (used tea bags, apple and orange peel and dandelion flowers amongst other things). He kept old newspapers going back to the 60's, every kettle or toaster that they ever owned (burned out elements didn't matter) - my mother would try to throw stuff away, but he'd fish it out of the bins. In amongst the rubbish are family 'heirlooms' - loads of antiques - Sunderland glassware, bone china, telescopes, furniture, photo albums going back to the Victorian era - and we have no idea what is worth keeping or just for the skip (I'm keeping anything relating to SAFC - got stuff relating to the 1937 and 1913 Cup Finals).

Dad was 7 when his father died in 1945 (not killed in action - he had a couple of nasty illnesses) - we suspect that might be trigger for not wanting to let things go.
okay so he was, a bad hoarder, used tea bags? Again, it's not a generic thing. Mental illness, in some cases yes.

Great response btw nicely done sir!

I remember the show about old Mr Trebus in Crouch End (stuck in my mind because I lived in CE in the 90s). Grim viewing, he just had little walkways to get from room to room and even out in his back garden.

It’s not a fun thing, it’s mental illness - my mother-in-law does it, thankfully not as extreme as Mr Trebus, but hers is all rooted in abandonment as a kid and not being allowed nice things. Spends money her and hubby don’t have, so they borrow from their kids, and moving house for them is a nightmare

Its basically complex OCD . Keeping a bit owa much stuff for sentimental reasons is one thing but not being able to cope with uncertainty & anxiety if you part with a tea bag is another .
Its a very hard way to live too as youve got loads of stuff but cant find/ get to it so you buy new ones . The reason several of the same item are often found when houses are cleared .

Back