Hoaders

gards2

Striker
Was a UK documentary in the 90s/00s

A guy had gaps in his house so he could get to the bog, kitchen, bedroom etc and he was, from memory, okay with it. The audience looked on with aghast and shock/horror i'm sure. I think the term 'neat-freak' came out of it amongst my friends at the time, as an opposite of these adorable people. But as an ex patient of the "LSD Willing Participants Control Group" I thought it was lovely! haha

All those things, in his home had memories. He could probably point out when and where it came into his possession. They had value to him, even though, he hadn't touched them for years, in some cases. They were never, destined for the bin.

Is it wrong of society to judge these people? i don't think it is. I think it's a lovely mess, full of love and maybe just, not wanting to let go of things that came into their lives.

A guy had gaps in his house so he could get to the bog, kitchen, bedroom etc and he was, from memory, okay with it. The audience looked on with aghast and shock/horror i'm sure. I think the term 'neat-freak' came out of it amongst my friends at the time, as an opposite of these adorable people. But as an ex patient of the "LSD Willing Participants Control Group" I thought it was lovely! haha

All those things, in his home had memories. He could probably point out when and where it came into his possession. They had value to him, even though, he hadn't touched them for years, in some cases. They were never, destined for the bin.

Is it wrong of society to judge these people? i don't think it is. I think it's a lovely mess, full of love and maybe just, not wanting to let go of things that came into their lives.
Can't be healthy though, a breeding ground for vermin and pests. I worked in some houses for the PWD and Sunderland Housing Group, not nice places with basically rubbish everywhere. Most of them will have had some trauma creating a mental health issue

Is that the one where he had piles of newspapers he had to climb over to get from room to room. His neighbour took pity on him and helped himget rid of some stuff.

Last edited:

Wasn’t that the program where some woman hoarded her own sh*t in the bath tub - the harmless old loveable eccentric.

Can't be healthy though, a breeding ground for vermin and pests. I worked in some houses for the PWD and Sunderland Housing Group, not nice places with basically rubbish everywhere. Most of them will have had some trauma creating a mental health issue
rubbish is rubbish, food waste etc He had papers and furniture etc

Not the same thing

Love watching "hoarding buried alive", the yanks generally win the hoarding trophy from what I've seen.
I remember one episode where the bank were foreclosing on a woman's property, it was sold and the new buyers had to deal with her shit (including a serious rat infestation because her rooms were nigh on full to the ceiling with junk).
She has some kind of traumatic story, they actually cleaned the place up and rented it back to her, lunatics !!!!
<iframe src="Day No GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY" width="430" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>
That shit is going to trigger someone's epilepsy fool !!!!

My Dad was a compulsive hoarder - we're just about finished clearing the house (taken nearly a year of weekends) - we joke about it, but it isn't that funny, really.

Fortunately perishables were frozen (used tea bags, apple and orange peel and dandelion flowers amongst other things). He kept old newspapers going back to the 60's, every kettle or toaster that they ever owned (burned out elements didn't matter) - my mother would try to throw stuff away, but he'd fish it out of the bins. In amongst the rubbish are family 'heirlooms' - loads of antiques - Sunderland glassware, bone china, telescopes, furniture, photo albums going back to the Victorian era - and we have no idea what is worth keeping or just for the skip (I'm keeping anything relating to SAFC - got stuff relating to the 1937 and 1913 Cup Finals).

Dad was 7 when his father died in 1945 (not killed in action - he had a couple of nasty illnesses) - we suspect that might be trigger for not wanting to let things go.

Love watching "hoarding buried alive", the yanks generally win the hoarding trophy from what I've seen.
I remember one episode where the bank were foreclosing on a woman's property, it was sold and the new buyers had to deal with her shit (including a serious rat infestation because her rooms were nigh on full to the ceiling with junk).
She has some kind of traumatic story, they actually cleaned the place up and rented it back to her, lunatics !!!!

That shit is going to trigger someone's epilepsy fool !!!!
This is her, "Michelle"

It's bloody awful and goes down generations. I'm the opposite where I can't stand anything out of place or untidy. I don't think it's a coincidence that I experienced hoarders as a child and the way I am now.

My dad lived there when he worked in Barrow in the 90s. Lovely little town but a bit lairy on Friday and Saturday nights.
Similar story, my dad worked in Barrow in the early 00s. He had a flat in Dalton which was lairy of an evening as well. Ulverston had a class indie clothes shop (maybe its still there!) where I got all my punk and emo tshirts when I was young and had shit music taste. As opposed to now when I'm old and have shit music taste.

There was an old lady at the bottom of our road when I was a kid who became a hoarder after her husband died suddenly. Lived in a big house on the banks of the Thames near Laleham, would have been worth a fortune these days. By the time she died about 10 or more years back, you couldn't see in the windows for piled up junk and the place was almost derelict.

Fella bought it, flattened the property and built something else. Shame really.

Back