HMRC - newcastle city centre

In fairness there it's got more than Cobalt, Doxford Park and Quorum which have similar size office blocks.

The town centre is shut by the time you finish work :lol:

What about darlington?

Quite a few things really but I would say it's the capital of what's now the LA7 (Newcastle, Sunderland, South Tyneside, Durham, Northumberland, Gateshead and North Tyneside) rather than the North East. Teesside is it's own area which Middlesbrough is the capital of there but even most of them apply for Teesside aswell but like you said they might stray to Leeds instead.

But things like:
  1. County Court
  2. Region's Airport
  3. Hub For National Trains
  4. Ferry Terminal (Netherlands)
  5. Largest Shopping Destination
  6. Largest City Population
  7. By far the most visited place out of everywhere.
  8. Region's Arena
One way you could look at it though is someone in Newcastle could easily never leave Newcastle in the North East and live easily. Someone outside Newcastle would seriously struggle to never go into Newcastle unless they're doing it for some form of weird principal whether that's for catching a plane, watching gigs or using a train.
Crown court - Durham has one and Sunderland should have one but anyway never been in one and hopefully never will. Regional airport, Ponteland and if it was built tomorrow newcastle would not want jt - noisy polluting places, massive objection to them so Newcastle can have it. Hub for national trains - geographic location and yes impossibe to get to Edinburgh so give you that. Ferry terminal, north shields so thats a no. Largest shopping centre - debateable and anyway nothing newcastle offers that you cant get online. Largest city again open for debate but does not add to your argument about not leaving the place."By far the most visited place" - again does not add to your argument about not leaving the place - unless you want to avoid the pissed up stag and hen lot. Regions arena - moving to Gateshead and sure people can live without seeing Steps or whoever. For me personally I could quite easily avoid Newcastle not because i have anything against it but despite what you say it offers nothing that I need. Yes, the train maybe but last time I went to Edinburgh drove and since covid no need for the airport. Time prior to that, Teesside and Glasgow airports. Saw Jimmy Carr the other week, had he been on in Necastle no bother but as he was on in Sunderland saved a trip. So honestly, I could probably spend my life without ever stepping in newcastle. Work from home and even in office would be Durham - which I love and would opt over newcastle for a few beers or the cinema. Anyway, dont kid yourself that it is the beginning and the end if the world - it isn't, sorry but it really is easy not to go to Newcastle.

Crown court - Durham has one and Sunderland should have one but anyway never been in one and hopefully never will. Regional airport, Ponteland and if it was built tomorrow newcastle would not want jt - noisy polluting places, massive objection to them so Newcastle can have it. Hub for national trains - geographic location and yes impossibe to get to Edinburgh so give you that. Ferry terminal, north shields so thats a no. Largest shopping centre - debateable and anyway nothing newcastle offers that you cant get online. Largest city again open for debate but does not add to your argument about not leaving the place."By far the most visited place" - again does not add to your argument about not leaving the place - unless you want to avoid the pissed up stag and hen lot. Regions arena - moving to Gateshead and sure people can live without seeing Steps or whoever. For me personally I could quite easily avoid Newcastle not because i have anything against it but despite what you say it offers nothing that I need. Yes, the train maybe but last time I went to Edinburgh drove and since covid no need for the airport. Time prior to that, Teesside and Glasgow airports. Saw Jimmy Carr the other week, had he been on in Necastle no bother but as he was on in Sunderland saved a trip. So honestly, I could probably spend my life without ever stepping in newcastle. Work from home and even in office would be Durham - which I love and would opt over newcastle for a few beers or the cinema. Anyway, dont kid yourself that it is the beginning and the end if the world - it isn't, sorry but it really is easy not to go to Newcastle.

Haway that doesnt fit the narrative 🙄

:lol:

Jesus. Honestly what’s the point. Can’t be arsed with this.
What's the point in what?

You asked "How do you get abroad without flying from your local airport". I just gave my example.

I'm not saying I won't fly from Newcastle. I have before and I will again once my circumstances change and the price is right.

I can get the train to London from Sunderland but always get it from Newcastle as it works out cheaper for my family and that includes parking in Newcastle all weekend factored in.

I also worked in Newcastle before lockdown and will again if we ever get requested to go back in the office. I've got nothing against the place, I do what I think is best for my family.

What's the point in what?

You asked "How do you get abroad without flying from your local airport". I just gave my example.

I'm not saying I won't fly from Newcastle.
Then that’s all you needed to say
Good. Toddle off then...
Enjoy wasting your time crying about Sunderland. Don’t forget to boycott sugar puffs.
Is it fuck, Newcastle people couldn't give a fuck about Sunderland and the majority I've met love to put a downer on Sunderland and love seeing it struggle.
Boo hoo son.

Last edited:
Good. Toddle off then...
"Enjoy wasting your time crying about Sunderland. Don’t forget to boycott sugar puffs"

One person about 1992 and they still remember it - like elephants. Like us thinking nobody up the road eats streaky bacon as it has red and white stripes and one bloke was in the chronic in 2005 refusing to eat it so must be true and must be everybody.

Quite a few things really but I would say it's the capital of what's now the LA7 (Newcastle, Sunderland, South Tyneside, Durham, Northumberland, Gateshead and North Tyneside) rather than the North East. Teesside is it's own area which Middlesbrough is the capital of there but even most of them apply for Teesside aswell but like you said they might stray to Leeds instead.

But things like:
  1. County Court
  2. Region's Airport
  3. Hub For National Trains
  4. Ferry Terminal (Netherlands)
  5. Largest Shopping Destination
  6. Largest City Population
  7. By far the most visited place out of everywhere.
  8. Region's Arena
One way you could look at it though is someone in Newcastle could easily never leave Newcastle in the North East and live easily. Someone outside Newcastle would seriously struggle to never go into Newcastle unless they're doing it for some form of weird principal whether that's for catching a plane, watching gigs or using a train.
Depends on your hobbies.

If I need to go shopping I'll go into Sunderland or the metro centre as it's easier.

the only reason I've been to Newcastle in the last 2 years is for the following:

a business meeting, the football, a show at theatre royal.

As a night out I think it's overrated for the type of music I like, I can have a better night out in Sunderland which is easier to get to and closer.

In the summer I love to get outdoors, what does Newcastle offer there? It has no beach or any decent green space. Certainly nothing better than in the city of Sunderland.

Then that’s all you needed to say
You asked a question and I gave you an answer.

You just deflect or talk out of your backside if the answer doesn't fit your narrative.

You seem to have this obsession that the majority of people of Sunderland hate visiting Newcastle when in reality it's a tiny minority.

From my experience it is actually the opposite way around and more people from Newcastle hate visiting Sunderland. I'm not saying it is a majority either, just I've encountered more people who express that from Newcastle than Sunderland.

Depends on your hobbies.

If I need to go shopping I'll go into Sunderland or the metro centre as it's easier.

the only reason I've been to Newcastle in the last 2 years is for the following:

As a night out I think it's overrated for the type of music I like, I can have a better night out in Sunderland which is easier to get to and closer.

In the summer I love to get outdoors, what does Newcastle offer there? It has no beach or any decent green space. Certainly nothing better than in the city of Sunderland.
In newcastle's defence Jesmond Dene is very nice or at least it was but one thing Newcastle does not have is a lot of green space. Might have a look on google earth.

Back to the actual building being constructed for 9,000 office staff. I've read a lot of people from Newcastle complaining about it as they're saying there is so many already empty office units in the City and the space could be better used. I don't know that particular part of Newcastle well so not sure what else it could be utilised as.

I work down Newcastle Business Park and they have a lot of empty buildings. I can't see how they're going to fill them, especially with more companies embracing the WFH. We handed 2 of our buildings back to the business park and now just operate out of 1 which is only half utilised as the majority of us are still WFH.

Going back to Sunderland when are Legal & General building their 3 new buildings on the Vaux site?

I’m surprised they don’t shift the jobs down south.
Oh hold on,nobody down there would work for those wages!

For you that may be true but most people from Sunderland will end up in Newcastle one way or another unless for some reason they're actively attempting to avoid it for whatever reason then you could do it obviously.

It's no different to Leeds / Bradford or Wakefield, Manchester / Salford, Birmingham / Coventry or Wolverhampton, Cardiff / Newport, Sheffield / Rotherham, Bristol / Bath, Liverpool / Birkinhead with the former being their respective capitals and I'm sure everyone on here would agree with them aswell. No malice in Sunderland, I live North of the Tyne and can't stand Newcastle tbh. Been to Sunderland more than Newcastle recently (not the centre though mind).

Depends on your hobbies.

Aye that's true mind can't argue, hate the place myself and rarely visit nowadays and that's living North of the Tyne. Much rather visit somewhere like Morpeth so can relate.

Back to the actual building being constructed for 9,000 office staff. I've read a lot of people from Newcastle complaining about it as they're saying there is so many already empty office units in the City and the space could be better used. I don't know that particular part of Newcastle well so not sure what else it could be utilised as.

I work down Newcastle Business Park and they have a lot of empty buildings. I can't see how they're going to fill them, especially with more companies embracing the WFH. We handed 2 of our buildings back to the business park and now just operate out of 1 which is only half utilised as the majority of us are still WFH.

Going back to Sunderland when are Legal & General building their 3 new buildings on the Vaux site?

It's an absolute dive and been abandoned since 2004 pretty much. It'll be the sort of same people who want to open shipyards in Sunderland no doubt and then moan it's abandoned for another 10 years and blame the council. Some people just like moaning for the sake of it tbh.

No but Everytime I am back it looks worse and worse - like I say the square and that are nice but it's window dressing there's nowt to encourage businesses to set up there - what shops are there? What decent bars/restaurants? The place is basically closed from 6pm
Well yeah because there's no passing trade. If you put more office jobs in the city centre, you get more people spending their disposable income there. More disposable income in the area more businesses will open up.

Back