HMRC - Child tax benefit charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWanderer

Striker
So I get a letter today to say I may have to pay a child tax benefit charge!!!

How the fuck can various government depertments be so disjointed? One give me money, the other fucker wants to take some of it back in tax...why cant they just decide not to give me as much child benefit in the first place, cut down on admin and cost?

Oh, and another thing why cant they make forms and instructions easy to understand, I'm not a daft bloke, but its a struggle to understand any of the instructions!

f***ing *****, rant over, had to get it off my fat titted chest!

How the fuck can various government depertments be so disjointed? One give me money, the other fucker wants to take some of it back in tax...why cant they just decide not to give me as much child benefit in the first place, cut down on admin and cost?

Oh, and another thing why cant they make forms and instructions easy to understand, I'm not a daft bloke, but its a struggle to understand any of the instructions!

You thought humans had a food stomach and a drink stomach until a few years ago.

You got stuck at '"Turn over the page" didn't you

Pissed?

It's not disjointed. The system was designed to work in exactly that way.

The idea that it would take less admin to set up a means-testing system (with annual applications and income declarations etc a la tax credits) is obviously bollocks. You can always opt out if you don't want the rigmarole.

I got one of those years ago. Paid it off and I'm still getting a letter now amd again demanding money. Conveniently for them there is no phone number you can call to explain it's already been paid. I have the reference number for the payment from years ago but it's fukkin annoying never the less.

It's not disjointed. The system was designed to work in exactly that way.

The idea that it would take less admin to set up a means-testing system (with annual applications and income declarations etc a la tax credits) is obviously bollocks. You can always opt out if you don't want the rigmarole.
The fuckers know exactly how much I earn as I'm PAYE, so surely all tax and entitlement should be worked out automatically, in this day, why do we have to work shit out ourselves if they have the information?

Now I've got to sign up to self-cert, and pump in my figures and then end up paying a wedge of the £1700 back.

...off!

Because the tax system is set up per person, and the high income child benefit charge (HICBC) can be applied to couples.

HICBC just doesn't fit at all with the current tax system. Also, they have no reliable way of knowing who couples (married, unmarried, civil partnerships) actually are. Therefore they have to put the onus on you as they just can't actually work it out themselves. They can do some limited matching of records, and suggest you may need to pay the charge, but don't know this for certain.

It could be worse. You could work for them and still have to tell them how much you earn to claim working tax credits :lol:

You must be on over 50k so nice problem to have.

I beg to differ.

Look at me I earn over £50k. Pathetic.

I've got to get HMRC to process my change of address soon. It was such a nightmare last time that I can't face it at the moment. But the mail redirect runs out in 10 months and those useless twatbaskets are going to need at least that long to sort it out

I've got to get HMRC to process my change of address soon. It was such a nightmare last time that I can't face it at the moment. But the mail redirect runs out in 10 months and those useless twatbaskets are going to need at least that long to sort it out
Do it online yourself via Government Gateway (Personal Tax Account), twisty. :lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back