Hmmmmm, not sure about the benefits of this

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
But to partake fully in a modern society a car is essential for many people.

As for trusting the police, I haven't got the same faith.
I don't think you can term it as "the police" it's just not as simple as saying all police will use it this way.

We need robust laws, I despise how open to interpretation freedom of speech laws are.

I just see this as another tool. I mean, I think the idea is it's used to stop people who are already putting others at risk.

Let's flip it round then cos I'm not following you exactly. Why do you think this is a bad thing in detail?

The technology is already out there to upload updates to engine management systems and other intelligence components in modern cars. My previous company had a whole division working on this alongside the cyber security team whose remit was obviously to ensure the surface attack area was minimised. There are always going to be weak spots in any such solution.

The prospect of cars grinding to a halt when someone accidentally or maliciously invokes the global override is perhaps a few years off, but this is definitely technology which will be in all new cars at some point. It's a case of when not if.

The prospect of cars grinding to a halt when someone accidentally or maliciously invokes the global override is perhaps a few years off, but this is definitely technology which will be in all new cars at some point. It's a case of when not if.

I don’t think so. The Crims are usually well up with, if not ahead of modern hi tech, eg. keyless cars.

It will probably cause more problems than it solves, IMO.

I don't think you can term it as "the police" it's just not as simple as saying all police will use it this way.

We need robust laws, I despise how open to interpretation freedom of speech laws are.

I just see this as another tool. I mean, I think the idea is it's used to stop people who are already putting others at risk.

Let's flip it round then cos I'm not following you exactly. Why do you think this is a bad thing in detail?

I think anything that erodes freedom of an individual is a bad thing, no matter how it benefits society as a whole. I'm not keen on the proliferation of cctv in the country.

I would be against facebook, whatsapp etc being enforced to give up data to the authorities.

Either that and go whole hog and tag people. What have you got against tagging?

I don’t understand why anyone except crims and thugs is against cctv in a public place.

It probably enhances your freedom rather than detracts from it.

I think anything that erodes freedom of an individual is a bad thing, no matter how it benefits society as a whole. I'm not keen on the proliferation of cctv in the country.

I would be against facebook, whatsapp etc being enforced to give up data to the authorities.

Either that and go whole hog and tag people. What have you got against tagging?
While I share those thoughts, I'm probably not as enthusiastic as yourself, I'm not a libertarian by any stretch of the imagination.

Against tagging innocent people? For one they are annoying to wear, but also I don't believe a free person should have their every move tracked. We are tracked via our mobile phones, but then it's your choice to purchase and use one.

While I share those thoughts, I'm probably not as enthusiastic as yourself, I'm not a libertarian by any stretch of the imagination.

Against tagging innocent people? For one they are annoying to wear, but also I don't believe a free person should have their every move tracked. We are tracked via our mobile phones, but then it's your choice to purchase and use one.

But surely the police won't use it until a crime needs to be solved? That was your argument for happily having cars tagged by law.

Loads of murders would be solved instantly and many wouldn't take place. Why would anyone be against that? Assuming the tag is comfy, obviously.

But surely the police won't use it until a crime needs to be solved? That was your argument for happily having cars tagged by law.

Loads of murders would be solved instantly and many wouldn't take place. Why would anyone be against that? Assuming the tag is comfy, obviously.
They would but the idea of tagging an item to me isn't the same. Like I said before, we are already traceable through our phones if companies want to.

I'm in two minds about it though. You make a good point Harry.... I'm not sure. :lol:

....back to work I go

They would but the idea of tagging an item to me isn't the same. Like I said before, we are already traceable through our phones if companies want to.

I'm in two minds about it though. You make a good point Harry.... I'm not sure. :lol:

....back to work I go

The tagging of the car would be compulsory. It's the compulsory nature that I object to.

The tagging of the car would be compulsory. It's the compulsory nature that I object to.
It is a tough one like, I just think it would be helpful if police were chasing a vehicle to have the power to kill it. Just from watching cop shows, sometimes it goes really wrong and a lot of people die.

I don't like the snooping aspect of it either, it's just the thought of stopping high speed chases that appeals to me.

I suppose with the advent of driverless cars everyone will be tracked anyway

It is a tough one like, I just think it would be helpful if police were chasing a vehicle to have the power to kill it. Just from watching cop shows, sometimes it goes really wrong and a lot of people die.

I don't like the snooping aspect of it either, it's just the thought of stopping high speed chases that appeals to me.

I suppose with the advent of driverless cars everyone will be tracked anyway

Compulsory DNA database would solve and prevent loads of crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back