Hmmmmm, not sure about the benefits of this

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date

Seems like a solution desperately looking for a problem. I imagine anyone who it was aimed at would soon find out how to pull out the 4G unit and render it useless.

How long before the technology gets in the wrong hands and causes more problems than it solves ?

I presume it operates via a radio signal which can probably be replicated.

Keyless ignition systems haven’t been a great success either.

Could be a good thing, my worry is how hackable it would be, could be a terrorists dream device in the wrong hands.
I was more worried about the state having the ability to spy on me tbh, bearing in mind I live in WA.

its a terrible idea. Just think about the malicious uses even if it worked perfectly. Then start to think that if you have access to the stuff controlling the engine then you will have access to brakes, turning the engine full on, lights etc etc .

Could be a good thing, my worry is how hackable it would be, could be a terrorists dream device in the wrong hands.
:eek::eek: How does this sit with your freedom of speech argument?

May as well just be tagged and let them monitor us 24 hours a day.

It would solve most murders fairly easily.

I was more worried about the state having the ability to spy on me tbh, bearing in mind I live in WA.
The state spies on us anyway. They spy on our internet movements, our emails, cctv and it'll only get worse in the future.

Although I am comfortable with it to an extent as the alternative is more terrorism etc.

:eek::eek: How does this sit with your freedom of speech argument?

May as well just be tagged and let them monitor us 24 hours a day.

It would solve most murders fairly easily.
I don't think the two are linked.

You don't have the right to drive a car, you need to take a test, you need to have insurance, you need to pay tax.

I'm not sold on the idea either mind, but if the police could prove its usefulness and more importantly its necessity I wouldn't be against it.

Are the two related? To me this seems a bizarre comparison.

Last edited:
I don't think the two are linked.

You don't have the right to drive a car, you need to take a test, you need to have insurance, you need to pay tax.

I'm not sold on the idea either mind, but if the police could prove its usefulness and more importantly its necessity I wouldn't be against it.

Are the two related? To me this seems a bizarre comparison.

Why should be people's movements be restricted by the State should they wish to drive without being electronically monitored and controlled by the State?

freedom of movement and freedom of speech are similar and rights worth protecting. The terrorist argument is spurious IMHO.

The number of people willing to give up their privacy is getting ridiculous now like :lol::oops:

As Goering said “the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.“

Why should be people's movements be restricted by the State should they wish to drive without being electronically monitored and controlled by the State?

freedom of movement and freedom of speech are similar and rights worth protecting. The terrorist argument is spurious IMHO.
But is that not the same as saying freedom of speech requires a megaphone?

I mean it's not like they are tagging your leg, you can still travel.

It's also dependent on how the law is used, at the moment I am not happy with freedom of speech laws and hope they change as speech no matter how offensive cannot physically harm someone, whereas a vehicle in a high speed chase could result in a devastating car accident. I would hope the police only used this in the event of a chase developing or they suspect you of being about to commit a violent act.

I get your point but I'm not sold on them being related.

But is that not the same as saying freedom of speech requires a megaphone?

I mean it's not like they are tagging your leg, you can still travel.

It's also dependent on how the law is used, at the moment I am not happy with freedom of speech laws and hope they change as speech no matter how offensive cannot physically harm someone, whereas a vehicle in a high speed chase could result in a devastating car accident. I would hope the police only used this in the event of a chase developing or they suspect you of being about to commit a violent act.

I get your point but I'm not sold on them being related.

But to partake fully in a modern society a car is essential for many people.

As for trusting the police, I haven't got the same faith.

Back