History of the football boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two best ever boots.....Adidas world cup and Puma King.
My boy has Puma Kings- weirdly they stand out because they're predominantly Black! He thinks I'm a miserable bastard because I've insisted on predominantly black boots every time he's needed new ones. He did stretch my resolve with a pair of blue and black adidas Nemisis but I was swayed by the fact you could get your name embossed on them for free as a special offer!

Remember when you could get those aluminium screw in studs?
Walking on the path to the pitch used to sharpen the fuckers up like knives.

I had a pair of moulded plastic studs boots as Thornhill had an all weather type pitch, that was rock solid. We played inter house games on it. The grass pitch was for school team games v the likes of bede , st Aidan’s, monkey house etc

Broadway hammered Thornhill every year despite our school being half the size. We always punched about our weight :)

As for boots the first pair of screw ins I had were Adidas Beckenbauer. Classic black with 3 white stripes. They were a couple of sizes too big as that was the smallest size they did and I was always small for my age. The ends were stuffed with newspaper.

I then went on to Beckenbauer Super, 3 lime green stripes. Both great boots.

In those days you didn't have to wear shin pads. I played with my socks around my ankles unless if was freezing cold.
Patrick Keegan Top you philistine.

I migrated to Patrick's after my Adidas days. Good boots.

Last edited:
Broadway hammered Thornhill every year despite our school being half the size. We always punched about our weight :)

As for boots the first pair of screw ins I had were Adidas Beckenbauer. Classic black with 3 white stripes. They were a couple of sizes too big as that was the smallest size they did and I was always small for my age. The ends were stuffed with newspaper.

I had a pair of supers, lovely boots, showing my age but I am sure that the premium brands didn't do kids sizes back in the 70's, hence why my first pair were Winfield (Adidas extra stripe from Woolies!) thank God Adidas brought out Mendoza's in smaller sizes when Argentina 78 happened, dignity saved!

I had a pair of supers, lovely boots, showing my age but I am sure that the premium brands didn't do kids sizes back in the 70's, hence why my first pair were Winfield (Adidas extra stripe from Woolies!) thank God Adidas brought out Mendoza's in smaller sizes when Argentina 78 happened, dignity saved!

I don't think they went below size 3? It might have been size 1 but definitely not into the baby size 13.

I started playing for the school team at the age of 9.

Was it George Best Stylo boots that you got a little plastic insert with? What was it for? Like a mini shin pad we thought was put in for penalties or free kicks for some reason? Early metatarsal protection device mebbes?
Not sure about the inserts, but Stylo George Bests were definitely the boot of choice for the discerning footballer in my day. None of that pink and purple shite like today 😃

In those days you didn't have to wear shin pads. I played with my socks around my ankles unless if was freezing cold.

I migrated to Patrick's after my Adidas days. Good boots.
Utter scutter

Your year might have had a decent side, in my year, leavers of '83 they were shit. It was 4 and 5's everytime we played them. Same for Thorney Close.

Red House and Aiden's had very good sides. We could still match any team in Sunderland on our day. We won the league in the 2nd year which for a school of 600 pupils was special.
Aye forgot you are much older than me.

I had two best pairs. Adidas Santiago when I was ten and captain of Havelock Juniors and the original Puma SPA Kings, 24.99 from Willy Watson's. Weeks wage whilst down Pickies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back