Hiking and walking routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anyone on the wise old SMB who can give me ideas on 10-20 mile walks or hikes (not to steep or rough ground) local in the North East? I want somewhere that I can leave the car, then do a route that returns back to the car park or area?
Want to be able to do it all year, weather permitting of course.
Thanks in anticipation.
Im biased but the Northumberland Coast starting Alnmouth( in winter is great, and quiet) heading North up coast.(park in bays outside village golf club or in car park on beach.
The Breamish valley, loads free parking...starting Ingram..nice ,relatively flat.Do a return via muddy boots cafe.
Linhope spout waterfall (you have to park cars on top near Linhope village then walk about 2 miles to waterfall ( again in winter or after downpour its amazing), then walk back ( 4 mile ish) You can increase distances at all these venues as you wish Linhope is steepest but not difficult ..im 55 and find it ok.

Im biased but the Northumberland Coast starting Alnmouth( in winter is great, and quiet) heading North up coast.(park in bays outside village golf club or in car park on beach.
The Breamish valley, loads free parking...starting Ingram..nice ,relatively flat.Do a return via muddy boots cafe.
Linhope spout waterfall (you have to park cars on top near Linhope village then walk about 2 miles to waterfall ( again in winter or after downpour its amazing), then walk back ( 4 mile ish) You can increase distances at all these venues as you wish Linhope is steepest but not difficult ..im 55 and find it ok.
Cheers!

If you have a Tesco clubcard the premium maps is £8. Thay gets you all of the UK. That said the full price of £19.99 is worth every penny.
I use the OS maps every weekend to plot, plan, and on route. It's brilliant.
Will take a look at that! Thanks.

Tell me more?
Take your car to Station Town and pick up the Walkway there. Track is 7 mile past Hurworth Burn reservoir to Thorpe Thewles. Nice old railway station that is now a cafe selling hot and cold snacks. Nice cup of coffee then return. Nice 14 miles and reasonably flat.

Take your car to Station Town and pick up the Walkway there. Track is 7 mile past Hurworth Burn reservoir to Thorpe Thewles. Nice old railway station that is now a cafe selling hot and cold snacks. Nice cup of coffee then return. Nice 14 miles and reasonably flat.
Sorry to be a pain, but can you give more information on this please? Station Town, where is it and is the route clearly marked.
Thanks.

Elephant trees is a must.
Where is this?:)

Sorry to be a pain, but can you give more information on this please? Station Town, where is it and is the route clearly marked.
Thanks.

Where is this?:)
Station Town is a village off the A19 through Wingate. Drive through Wingate front street and you come to Station Town follow road up the Bank and you will see walkway on right hand side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back