Hiking and walking routes.

Sundered Land

Midfield
Is there anyone on the wise old SMB who can give me ideas on 10-20 mile walks or hikes (not to steep or rough ground) local in the North East? I want somewhere that I can leave the car, then do a route that returns back to the car park or area?
Want to be able to do it all year, weather permitting of course.
Thanks in anticipation.

I’m actually doing the South Shields/Sunderland route. I wondered if there were some others in the area, not to far out say Durham areas etc?
Cheers!

I’m actually doing the South Shields/Sunderland route. I wondered if there were some others in the area, not to far out say Durham areas etc?
Cheers!

There’s a decent circular route starting at Beamish, through Hellhole woods up to Causey Arch and Tanfield railway, then east along the lines for a few miles before heading south through Pockerley woods back to the start. I do this route on the bike as it’s rideable all year round.

Another is to park up at Bollihope and walk up to Pawlaw Pike. Follow the ridge path as far as Chatterley, drop into Wolsingam, then follow the river on the south side back to the start but make sure you veer left at White Kirkley and take the path up Bollihope Burn. Another one which is good in most weathers.

There’s a decent circular route starting at Beamish, through Hellhole woods up to Causey Arch and Tanfield railway, then east along the lines for a few miles before heading south through Pockerley woods back to the start. I do this route on the bike as it’s rideable all year round.

Another is to park up at Bollihope and walk up to Pawlaw Pike. Follow the ridge path as far as Chatterley, drop into Wolsingam, then follow the river on the south side back to the start but make sure you veer left at White Kirkley and take the path up Bollihope Burn. Another one which is good in most weathers.
How far is the beamish pockerley route then?

South Shields, along the seafront clifftops to Seaburn and back, not exactly circular, but its not demanding, plenty of pubs on root, and you can chicken out anywhere on route and get public transport back
Its going to turn into an all day sesh isn't it..

Joking aside I think that @Cowvahlo does loads of walking marra.

Cheers!
Get the ferry over from Shields, can Walk from N/shields ferry landing all the way to St. Marys lighthouse, then get meet/ferry back. Obviously Tiddley Bay isn't a patch on Seabird, but its still a canny walk

Also look at the Viewranger app. Free app, OS maps are reasonably priced and they offer routes in any area you search.

If you have a Tesco clubcard the premium maps is £8. Thay gets you all of the UK. That said the full price of £19.99 is worth every penny.
I use the OS maps every weekend to plot, plan, and on route. It's brilliant.

If you have a Tesco clubcard the premium maps is £8. Thay gets you all of the UK. That said the full price of £19.99 is worth every penny.
I use the OS maps every weekend to plot, plan, and on route. It's brilliant.

That’s really good. I have all of the North and most of Scotland and I paid around fifteen quid years ago. I use it regularly to plan rides then use the same app to record.

Back