Hew Mods - Libellous Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, message boards are treated more as a "conversational medium" according to a court ruling iirc, so slander laws would apply.

vaguely recall some guy tried to sue a forum user for libel ages ago and his real identity was called out specifically. iirc it didnt stick because the libel was against a characterisation rather than the actual person. not being a lawyer i would probably try to always say you think someones a worthless **** rather than proclaiming that they definitely are. ;)

My understanding of libel is that if you can identify yourself as a victim you have a case... Just because nobody else could identify you isn't really of concern.

Yes, message boards are treated more as a "conversational medium" according to a court ruling iirc, so slander laws would apply.

Libel.

Slander is spoken.

Libel is published/broadcast

10 years ago and still not law so I'll go with Libel.

The context is irrelevant it's the medium used. Slander is spoken and the reason it will remain Libel is because both the poster and the publisher (in this case the owner of the forum) could both be hauled in front of a judge.

The SMB would be safer to be unmoderated if slander were at play.

Could be libel or could be slander depending on the circumstances, but more likely to be slander in the case of bulletin boards.

had a warning for calling a poster a 'known dog nonce", couldn't see the problem with it.

didn't see what you called the bitmap king but I'm sure it wouldn't have been that wide of the mark.

Well, is the poster a “known dog nonce” like who knows that he is?

Fido won’t tell will he?

One of my three warnings came as a result of my jokingly (clearly) calling someone a n:cool:nce

Mind I can see why in fairness :lol:

A title of one of my threads mentioned the name "donkey nonce" cos it was about Micky Quinn and the mods changed the title :confused:

Reactions: mux
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back