Henderson wants to leave Saudi

That ITK makes sense it was reported on a US Talk show stating that Henderson wants to be Player Manager at Sunderland…..
Link?
Why would we turn down a free transfer aswel, if wages aren't an issue? It makes no sense.

Last edited:
He forfeited thousands to leave Saudi. Yes, he made contact to the club via a conduit well before Ajax even knew he would be available. He advised he would come to SAFC just as a player and wages not be an issue, he would also be willing to be player coach (TM had just gone). Dangled a very large carrot in front of the club he loves and we literally in effect returned a middle finger.

And who wouldn't? it's common sense and anyone would do it if they were in the position to.

I'm no fan of Speakman, but that sounds like a load of absolute bollocks to me.

I'm no fan of Speakman, but that sounds like a load of absolute bollocks to me.
His deferred wages were kept by th Saudi club, so in essence he paid for his own release. Why would we as a club turn down the chance to sign him on a free if wages aren't a problem.

His deferred wages were kept by th Saudi club, so in essence he paid for his own release. Why would we as a club turn down the chance to sign him on a free if wages aren't a problem.

We wouldn't have turned down the chance. If he was willing to come here and wages weren't going to be a problem KLD & Speakmna would have been all over the positive PR.

I doubt they'd have wanted him as player coach like, but given that Henderson could of had his pick of clubs before going to Saudi for money. I think it sounds too far fetched for me to believe tbh. Sounds like a bit of pissed up pub talk.

We wouldn't have turned down the chance. If he was willing to come here and wages weren't going to be a problem KLD & Speakmna would have been all over the positive PR.

I doubt they'd have wanted him as player coach like, but given that Henderson could of had his pick of clubs before going to Saudi for money. I think it sounds too far fetched for me to believe tbh. Sounds like a bit of pissed up pub talk.

What positive PR? It would be a complete PR disaster, he's been boo'd at every England game and they're full of families half the time. He can stay well away for me. He's the sort of signing that goes completely against everything the past few seasons - old players wanting a final pay day.

Last edited:
What positive PR? It would be a complete PR disaster, he's been boo'd at every England game and they're full of families half the time. He can stay well away for me.

Plenty on here wanted him back. A good few still would. The club would have jumped at the opportunity to get him in.

I'm not arsed about him myself.

Not sure like, it was very mixed. Be a toxic signing and would split the fan base imo.

A few good performances and a bit of media spin about being back home, only human, and making a few mistakes, it would have been forgotten about.

The club wouldn't have been able to say yes to him quick enough man.

Link?
Why would we turn down a free transfer aswel, if wages aren't an issue? It makes no sense.
It’s was 3 weeks ago since Henderson big news moving to Ajax having a former Liverpool and current England player you get more radio time. i have Sirius Radio listening to the English channels cannot tell when but they mentioned there sources not me player/manager …. wages and free was not mentioned on the radio that would be stupid of Sunderland not to look into it if that was the case.

Back