Help understanding my warnings

You didn't get an outright ban for that, you got a warning.

You were subsequently banned under the totting up system.

Out of curiosity. how many total warning points do you need to get a ban?

I have always had very low warning points but on a couple of occasions seemed like I got a ban basically on the whim of whatever Mod was on duty, and sometimes because I was going against the Mob mentality of a thread and they just wanted an easy life and to agree with the Mob.

I have always had very low warning points but on a couple of occasions seemed like I got a ban basically on the whim of whatever Mod was on duty, and sometimes because I was going against the Mob mentality of a thread and they just wanted an easy life and to agree with the Mob.
That information is not made public.

From experience, moderators do not issue warnings on a whim or 'for an easy life'. Annoyingly the gaffer insists upon a much more substantial reason.

From your description, and I'm just guessing here mind, I'd suggest that repeatedly derailing threads may have been your downfall in the past.

That information is not made public.

From experience, moderators do not issue warnings on a whim or 'for an easy life'. Annoyingly the gaffer insists upon a much more substantial reason.

From your description, and I'm just guessing here mind, I'd suggest that repeatedly derailing threads may have been your downfall in the past.

Strange the info is not made public surely transparency would be good, that would avoid complaints by posters that they are being banned without reason.

As for "derailing threads" I have never done that, if you mean posting a view that opposes the mob mentality then certainly but thats the whole point of forums and usually I have been proved right in my views in that respect.

If you get multiple warnings and don’t heed them it will always end up in a ban even if the last violation is the smallest of the lot. Also the more warnings you acumulate, the longer the points persist so the more likely you are to end up with repeated bannings.

Normally a moderator will be totally unaware that a user has been banned or how many warning points they already have, all they normally do is issue a warning.

The system is designed to give people plenty of opportunity to correct behaviour that we deem inappropriate before they are banned.

Unfortunately the more transparent we are, the more people play the system and it seems to some people being banned for a short time from here is a badge of honour.

What was the song?

If it was something by one of the Gallaghers then a ban's too good for you; you should be scheduled to have your ears removed.

Seems to be what I tend to get bans for.

The last one was on the thread about the Sunderland musical at the Empire, where I don’t think I was even being particularly objectionable. Just started taking absolute pelters because I said I’d heard it wasn’t as good as people in the thread were making out.

Seems to be what I tend to get bans for.

The last one was on the thread about the Sunderland musical at the Empire, where I don’t think I was even being particularly objectionable. Just started taking absolute pelters because I said I’d heard it wasn’t as good as people in the thread were making out.
Sorry but that's just bollocks.

Your language was indeed particularly objectionable, particularly within the context of the thread - hence the action that was taken against you.

Sorry but that's just bollocks.

Your language was indeed particularly objectionable, particularly within the context of the thread - hence the action that was taken against you.
No it’s not, so I have to massively disagree, on the basis that I simply said that I’d heard the show wasn’t particularly good—and it shouldn’t actually be unreasonable to offer a dissenting viewpoint. I was then subjected to a load of inane and idiotic abuse first, for just going against the grain, by people who apparently don’t understand the concept of subjectivity when it comes to opinions about musical theatre.

But yeah, I’m the one who was out of order for defending myself against attack from a load of people, for the audacity of just having a differing perspective, which wasn’t even my own, because as I said multiple times I hadn’t even seen the show and was just going by what people I know had told me.

No it’s not, so I have to massively disagree, on the basis that I simply said that I’d heard the show wasn’t particularly good—and it shouldn’t actually be unreasonable to offer a dissenting viewpoint. I was then subjected to a load of inane and idiotic abuse first, for just going against the grain, by people who apparently don’t understand the concept of subjectivity when it comes to opinions about musical theatre.

But yeah, I’m the one who was out of order for defending myself against attack from a load of people, for the audacity of just having a differing perspective, which wasn’t even my own, because as I said multiple times I hadn’t even seen the show and was just going by what people I know had told me.
Nope.

As usual any action taken against you and others on that thread wasn't because of your opinions, but for the way those opinions were expressed and the language used.

Nope.

As usual any action taken against you and others on that thread wasn't because of your opinions, but for the way those opinions were expressed and the language used.
Well I hope other people on that thread got warnings and actions taken against them as well, Pancho, because it wouldn’t be fair just singling out and banning the person who got piled on by loads of people.

Also, as an aside, during my ban and reflection time, I did go to see that show for myself, and as a long time fan of musical theatre, I didn’t particularly rate it.

Back