Heckingbottom

The trouble with appointing him is that a large chunk of the fans don't want him. I know fans are fickle and can easily be swayed by some good results, but if he doesn't hit the ground running the chances of him suceeding are dramatically reduced. Considering what has gone on lately, if an unpopular, unimaginative and unemployed appointment gets off to a bad start, the board will be getting pelters and he'll be the fall guy.
I’d that’s the case the board need to grow some f***ing balls. If he’s the best man for the job, fvck what our idiot fans think.

Don't know why I replied TBH you're a wishy washy fecka at the best of times.
What do you mean by wishy washy?
Aye the same idiots were totally wrong about their last appointment who was apparently the best man for the job too...
Beale had no credentials. He was total punt.
Heckinbottom won promotion from the championship last season. Im
Not really sure what people want?

Last edited:
What do you mean by wishy washy?

Beale had no credentials. He was total punt.
Heckinbottom won promotion from the championship last season. Im
Not really sure what people want?
Absolutely this. We want to be promoted to the Prem. Hecky got Sheff Utd promoted to the Prem last season. Yet the idea of his appointment is pretty much ridiculed by some on here that would rather have a trendy young coach with zero experience, that achieved nowt.

I’d that’s the case the board need to grow some f***ing balls. If he’s the best man for the job, fvck what our idiot fans think.
I do agree with that sentiment in general, the board should be using their proffessional judgement as opposed to bowing down to what fans want. However, under the circumstances and given the fact that they have just shown that they don't know how to pick a coach, I think they should avoid appointing somebody that the fans want out before he's in.

I'm not particularly excited by Still, but he seems a fairly popular choice and he'd be given a bit more slack if he gets off to a slow start.

Absolutely this. We want to be promoted to the Prem. Hecky got Sheff Utd promoted to the Prem last season. Yet the idea of his appointment is pretty much ridiculed by some on here that would rather have a trendy young coach with zero experience, that achieved nowt.
Heckingbottom has never achieved something unexpected.

If he comes here he's not going to have the wage budget he had at Sheffield United, the squad they had cost 10s of millions. Here he's going to have the youngest squad in the league with one of the biggest expectations.

Heckingbottom has never achieved something unexpected.

If he comes here he's not going to have the wage budget he had at Sheffield United, the squad they had cost 10s of millions. Here he's going to have the youngest squad in the league with one of the biggest expectations.
Barnsley?

Winning the playoffs in L1 then leaving them around the relegation zone in the Championship. Pretty standard for Barnsley. He did have a good mid table finish in the Championship the year before. You could argue it's his best job.

Went on a run of 1 win in 16, left to join Leeds, lasted months, went to Hibs, lasted months there as well.
I would argue he did pretty well at Barnsley and at Sheffield United. What we do know is that the majority of managers get sacked eventually (including most of the Sunderland managers held in high regard here) but that doesn’t detract from them having the proven capability to do well. Mowbray was the same…got WBA promoted.

The hand wringing on here about him is excessive in my view, although I do get that some want someone a bit more exciting

I would argue he did pretty well at Barnsley and at Sheffield United. What we do know is that the majority of managers get sacked eventually (including most of the Sunderland managers held in high regard here) but that doesn’t detract from them having the proven capability to do well. Mowbray was the same…got WBA promoted.

The hand wringing on here about him is excessive in my view, although I do get that some want someone a bit more exciting
I just don't see him doing anything above what I'd expect. To me we need to be looking for our version of Robins at Coventry, to become the main man here, is that Heckingbottom?

I think there is a whole world of head coaches to choose from. Let's take a chance on someone who hasn't failed multiple times, rather than looking at the old managerial merry go round.

Don't get me wrong if he's appointed I'll keep an open mind, won't be looking for reasons to slate him.

Edit: Mowbray was different as well, he was an emergency appointment for a newly promoted club, and he had a reputation for good football and working with youth.

Last edited:
I just don't see him doing anything above what I'd expect. To me we need to be looking for our version of Robins at Coventry, to become the main man here, is that Heckingbottom?

I think there is a whole world of head coaches to choose from. Let's take a chance on someone who hasn't failed multiple times, rather than looking at the old managerial merry go round.

Don't get me wrong if he's appointed I'll keep an open mind, won't be looking for reasons to slate him.

Edit: Mowbray was different as well, he was an emergency appointment for a newly promoted club, and he had a reputation for good football and working with youth.

Robins would be a good bet

Back