Heating costs.......

I have mine set to go in for 90mins morning and evening and 17.5 degrees. No idea what the flow is set to.Usually about £3 and £6 for gas depending on weather.
As an aside, my elec display doesn't work on the smart display thing. Anyone ever contacted the supplier about this and got it fixed?

I have mine set to go in for 90mins morning and evening and 17.5 degrees. No idea what the flow is set to.Usually about £3 and £6 for gas depending on weather.
As an aside, my elec display doesn't work on the smart display thing. Anyone ever contacted the supplier about this and got it fixed?
That sounds like a lot for that temperature.

No idea what the hourly cost is for ours.

Currently paying £135 per month dd for both gas and leccy and in credit (just) after our latest bill from Oct - Jan

Mind, that's only two of us in a new two bed terraced house

We are on oil as out in the sticks however I have just received an email from EDF that my monthly DD will rise to £180 per month for electric only.
Will be looking into it and buying candles at this rate !!

Would be interested to know what other SMB’rs are being stung.
Aye I'm on oil too - this is on the rise again and another top up due. I suppose the upside is you know how much you're using and no nasty shocks. Downside is paying the £450 up front for 500 litres every 6 or so months.

Agree with the 'slow and low' approach some have already suggested.

I had gas iny last house and it used to stay on all year round practically. It was only a little 3 bed new build mind so pretty well insulated and small rooms to heat.

2 top floor stats at 19.5 deg

Kitchen / summer room at 20.5deg

Living room 22deg

Atrium 19deg

During the winter left at that 24/7 and thr log burner or fire put on for extra comfort.

Our bills are low folling this method .

Letting the house be freezing and trying to heat it twice a day must cost at least the same if not more

Our standing order has been £235 since the prices went stupid. Updated our readings and we are about 800 quid in credit so dropped payments by £100/month. Mental that we'd normalised these new stupid prices.

I work from home regularly 3-4 days a week and my lass does 2-3 so we have our heating on quite a bit. Most our smart meter gets to is a fiver a day.

Leccy just under £100 a month. Heating £0, I have a woodburner and free wood. Just as well I have the woodburner because I tried the heating over xmas and it wasn't working, switched the fault diagnosis on and it says the heat exchanger isn't working. Probably furred up with the slurry they class as water down here in Hampshire. I'll replace the Combi boiler in the summer just in case it takes more than a day to replace.

What does it cost over say 8 hours?

As one at temperature itll just be clicking on n off occasionally.

Spuff (smb cooling/heating guru).
reet. Lowered the flow temp but Kept the heating on all day and have used about the same amount of gas as usual but the house is indeed warmer. Actually taken my hat off for the first time in 3 months, cheers :)
I've got my flow set at about 42 degrees and I used 56kw yesterday. Cost £4.50 including the standing charge.

Heating thermostat was set to 20 degrees Celsius all day (wife working from home), until 10pm and 17 overnight.
Thanks for this mate, seems to be helping. :)

Last edited:
I have a 1930's 4 bed semi which is cold and draughty, I have the heating on for 90 mins in the morning amd my gas bill is min £3 a day. I was in the house most of yesterday and put the heating on and it cost me £10 in gas for the day, no idea how to keep the house warm without selling a kidney.

reet. Lowered the flow temp but Kept the heating on all day and have used about the same amount of gas as usual but the house is indeed warmer. Actually taken my hat off for the first time in 3 months, cheers :)

It's much better (if you're in) to lower the flow rate and have it on all day. The alternative is it gets the temperature too high and then you feel cold once it drops.

See my post to ajsafc - Just wondering if the smart meter being unplugged makes the provider having to go with an estimate ?
The smart meter display (the thing the battery runs down within a day or 2 so useless unless plugged in) being unplugged shouldn't affect the meter reads as the meter itself is what connects to the network to feedback the readings.

Does your provider not have an app that can show you your usage? There are also few phone apps that you can use and you just hoy in your info and it then requests your data so you can see it all on your phone instead. The app I hoyed on my phone is Loop Energy as I think it was recommended on here.

I think I also had Hugo at some point, either after or before Loop but I don't bother with them now as bills/direct debit prices have been reasonable

Last edited:
The smart display that you plug in talks to your actual meters, as long as they are working you should not get estimated bills as daily the supplier receives your daily reading. My gas meter doesn’t sync the reading so I always have to supply that reading.

Invoice in the post! 😉

How much can I save by reducing the heating flow temperature on my combi boiler?​

New research from the Salford Energy House found that lowering your heating flow temperature resulted in gas usage savings of:

• up to 9% by lowering the temperature from 80°C to 60°C
  • up to 12% by lowering the temperature from 80°C to 55°C
People who may be more vulnerable to the cold should be careful when reducing the flow temperature. For example, if you're elderly or have underlying health conditions. Innovation charity Nesta recommends not turning it below 60°C to ensure homes are properly heated.

A 9% reduction in gas usage would still mean an annual saving of up to £112 for the typical household.(3)

All without turning down the thermostat.

Last edited:

Back