Harry Kane

Sterling did get in behind full back and CD tonight though. But more often than not there was only 1 player in the box. On one occasion his cross was class and Mount spooned it. And for some bemusing reason it was never Kane in the box.

Though I think Grealish was class when he came on. But thought today the brave move would have been for Mount. Who I thought was poor today
Yes there was instances in small amounts but not like it was a constant counter attacking opportunity where you’d rely on having a Sterling play 90 mins, which would probably work against a France, Portugal etc. It was clear as day that the change needed to be made ages before it did. There’s only so long you can have someone like Sterling ahead of grealish - completely depending on how the opposition have nullified plan A (one forward to get in behind)

you’re right about no one being in the box for when the eventuality of Sterling getting a chance in behind happened, another tactical error clearly. At SAFC we failed miserably for ages at getting players into the box to finish a cross. One of the clear improvements Johnson made was getting more into the box for crosses and general attacking play, obviously we didn’t have the individual quality to finish the plentiful times the ball was played into the box from our wide, but it should be seen by Southgate that more players were needed in the box for crosses from Sterling.

Or change the plan and have us play more intricate passing moves where getting in behind wasn’t relied upon, with a better option for such passing moves ie Grealish

He's off form but hes very confused, what actually is he? Hes no pace, no trickery but hes a goal machine. So what do we expect him to do? Everything!

Sterling did get in behind full back and CD tonight though. But more often than not there was only 1 player in the box. On one occasion his cross was class and Mount spooned it. And for some bemusing reason it was never Kane in the box.

Though I think Grealish was class when he came on. But thought today the brave move would have been for Mount. Who I thought was poor today

He drops deep to play people in and draw defenders, making space for the runners like Foden and Sterling. Which might work if he had more guile and was more skilled on the ball with a good range of passing, or when the opposition decide to commit suicide and chase out to mark him. Problem is, why would they? He's a poacher, plain and simple, get the bugger in and around the box man.

It didn't catch on when Don Revie allegedly "invented" it yonks ago, all the rage now so I'm more than likely a Luddite dinosaur. :)

He drops deep to play people in and draw defenders, making space for the runners like Foden and Sterling. Which might work if he had more guile and was more skilled on the ball with a good range of passing, or when the opposition decide to commit suicide and chase out to mark him. Problem is, why would they? He's a poacher, plain and simple, get the bugger in and around the box man.

It didn't catch on when Don Revie allegedly "invented" it yonks ago, all the rage now so I'm more than likely a Luddite dinosaur. :)
Worked very effectively playing deeper this season for Spurs but always on the counter. Turns the ball round the corner beautifully. But how often will that happen at group stage against deep defending teams. Which I guess may serve us well in the latter stages against more attacking teams, So I can sort of understand him playing cause he’s your captain . But why not be brave and make the change earlier when someone is so poor

He's off form but hes very confused, what actually is he? Hes no pace, no trickery but hes a goal machine. So what do we expect him to do? Everything!
He's played great dripping deep for Spurs this season, even in a pretty poor year for them but he's not playing for Spurs and we need a presence in the box where we seem to be lacking anything.

It's weird because the set up is made for him but maybes he is suffering for being used to dropping too deep this season and finding himself out of position now.

But then again maybes he's fatigued after a long season, maybes he's carrying an injury, maybes his head isn't right cause he's looking to move for the first time in his career. Whatever it is we need to hope he can can get past it cause we are struggling without him being right.

Worked very effectively playing deeper this season for Spurs but always on the counter. Turns the ball round the corner beautifully. But how often will that happen at group stage against deep defending teams. Which I guess may serve us well in the latter stages against more attacking teams, So I can sort of understand him playing cause he’s your captain . But why not be brave and make the change earlier when someone is so poor

It won't. Didn't work much for Revie which is why he bought Mick Jones. :lol:

when your only centre forward is dropping deep, even going out on the wing a few times, is it any surprise that there is no one in the box.

He had an awful couple of games but we don’t know what he is being told to do by Southgate and co

when your only centre forward is dropping deep, even going out on the wing a few times, is it any surprise that there is no one in the box.

He had an awful couple of games but we don’t know what he is being told to do by Southgate and co

Pretty sure Southgate isn't telling him to lose the ball every time he is given it.

It isn't unusual for a forward to drop deep for the build up. Kane has been doing it all season for Spurs. If he drops deep and immediately gives ths ball away every time then every move breaks down so he's never going to get into the box.

Back