Hardwiring a Dash Cam/Cams

Kane

Midfield
Anyone done it themselves? How easy is it? Thinking of purchasing one after @Goat Eyes excellent advice last evening. I've watched a couple of youtube videos and one made it look easy, the other made it look like rocket science. The alternative is parting with 50 notes for Halfords to fit it (£70 if I add a rear camera too).

Anyone done it themselves? How easy is it? Thinking of purchasing one after @Goat Eyes excellent advice last evening. I've watched a couple of youtube videos and one made it look easy, the other made it look like rocket science. The alternative is parting with 50 notes for Halfords to fit it (£70 if I add a rear camera too).
Mine does front and back so why more extra for fitting?

There’s loads of wire free setups, just mount them where you want and then buy some spare batteries so you can always have one charged.

I don't know! It's the first time I've ever considered one, so just trying to learn about them and read reviews etc! Did you find any benefits since having yours?
Not really. Once I did send footage to the police, the fucker was going so fast they couldn't read the number plate. But I always use it in case I ever need it for a claim.

Fitted loads, piggyback fuse holders are the way to go for the wire free look. Some like mine require 2 lives as well as the ground as one is a permanent live and one is ignition live for parking mode. Most hardwire kits though just have 1 live, so you need to decide if you want the cam to keep running or cut off with the ignition.

Feel free to drop me a PM if needed.
Absolute doddle to do. Just need a trim removal kit and off ya go
And wired into the fuse box.

Just need to remover permanent live fuse 10A ie hazard lights plug the piggy back connector in the slot then put the fuse into that and attach the earth to the body of the car( there’ll be loads of points near fuse box where something is bolted to the body

Last edited:
Fitted loads, piggyback fuse holders are the way to go for the wire free look. Some like mine require 2 lives as well as the ground as one is a permanent live and one is ignition live for parking mode. Most hardwire kits though just have 1 live, so you need to decide if you want the cam to keep running or cut off with the ignition.

Feel free to drop me a PM if needed.
I've highlighted the parts I understood. Yeah, I'll drop you a PM if ok?

Mine does front and back so why more extra for fitting?
Some have 2 separate cameras, one attaches to the rear window, some are built into the front cam and has a second camera pointing in the back. More suitable for a taxi driver than decent rear traffic footage.
I've highlighted the parts I understood. Yeah, I'll drop you a PM if ok?
No problem bud.
There’s loads of wire free setups, just mount them where you want and then buy some spare batteries so you can always have one charged.
Bit of a faff though.hard wired is the way to go imho.

Last edited:
I paid over a grand for three dash cams, front, rear and inside car. I can connect from anywhere, anytime and it stores clips in the cloud. I got hit by a van that went through a red light and fucked off. It had no insurance. The footage clearly shows what happened and captures the registration. The cops are not interested and my insurance company will not give me a replacement vehicle and have not authorised a repair after 4 weeks so I'm now unemployed. I'll let you guess my opinion on dash cams

I paid over a grand for three dash cams, front, rear and inside car. I can connect from anywhere, anytime and it stores clips in the cloud. I got hit by a van that went through a red light and fucked off. It had no insurance. The footage clearly shows what happened and captures the registration. The cops are not interested and my insurance company will not give me a replacement vehicle and have not authorised a repair after 4 weeks so I'm now unemployed. I'll let you guess my opinion on dash cams
Ouch, that's tough. Sorry to hear that mate. I thought these things were meant to help this kind of problem?

Back