Hard to see us stopping up next season

We will have to see what happens. I base my thoughts on the last three transfer windows and the fact that the players we signed offer us no strength in depth at all. Hence the issues you have just stated. Indeed the players in the last window look worse than I’ve seen since the days of McFadzean. If im overly pessimistic I’d say you’re overly optimistic.
Errrm, not quite. Assuming we are going to do everything wrong and get relegated next year is being overly pessimistic. Assuming that we will knock it out of the park and get automatic promotion next season is being overly optimistic. Assuming that we will bring in a decent manager, make a few good (and bad) signings and be comfortably mid-table with a decent shot at the playoffs is being realistic given the history of the past three seasons.

As this season comes to an end I hoped Speakman and KLD would be apologetic and acknowledge mistakes have been made with the recruitment of both players and managers and talk about making positive changes and tweaking the recruitment model whilst still developing our young players. The minutes of the meeting read like they think aren’t sorry in the slightest and that they have no plans to change anything.No acknowledgement that we almost went on our worst ever run in this division.Sounds like instead of getting some experienced players bought in the summer we will have to make do with a new hummel strip and some faster internet. I have a feeling the way we are ending this season will continue into next season. Could be a long season next season.
Pampers required for the op

Not sure why the OP is being ridiculed tbh.

Have people not watched us for the last few months?
Have people not seen how we’ve failed in the last three transfer windows?
Have people not seen how we totally fucked up by sacking Mowbray and appointing Beale?
Have people not read the minutes where the ownership won’t change course?

Why are people so convinced we’ll stay up? We’ve been a one man team all season and he’s almost certain to leave.

I’d say people confident we’ll stay up next year are the deluded ones.

Not sure why the OP is being ridiculed tbh.

Have people not watched us for the last few months?
Have people not seen how we’ve failed in the last three transfer windows?
Have people not seen how we totally fucked up by sacking Mowbray and appointing Beale?
Have people not read the minutes where the ownership won’t change course?

Why are people so convinced we’ll stay up? We’ve been a one man team all season and he’s almost certain to leave.

I’d say people confident we’ll stay up next year are the deluded ones.
Some people are either just thick or have their heads firmly in the sand. Unbelievable given the last 3 transfer windows have left us weaker and weaker and we’ve put the likes of Beale and Dodds in charge. Only going one way at the moment

Some people are either just thick or have their heads firmly in the sand. Unbelievable given the last 3 transfer windows have left us weaker and weaker and we’ve put the likes of Beale and Dodds in charge. Only going one way at the moment

You don't believe we have a squad with the potential to compete with Portsmouth, Derby and say Peterborough?

You don't believe we have a squad with the potential to compete with Portsmouth, Derby and say Peterborough?
Not if Clarke leaves and we stick with Mayenda, Rusyn and Hemir to replace his 15 goals this season. Add to that Huggins, Cirkin and Alese with their fitness problems with Hjelde as our cover. Evans who has missed a year through injury is still the only player in the squad who can play in a dcm role and that is before any bids that might come in for the likes of Ballard, Hume, Neil and Patto. Thats what the last 3 transfer windows have left us with.

Not if Clarke leaves and we stick with Mayenda, Rusyn and Hemir to replace his 15 goals this season. Add to that Huggins, Cirkin and Alese with their fitness problems with Hjelde as our cover. Evans who has missed a year through injury is still the only player in the squad who can play in a dcm role and that is before any bids that might come in for the likes of Ballard, Hume, Neil and Patto. Thats what the last 3 transfer windows have left us with.
But we won't stick with them maybe 1or2 but not all and we will bring strikers in

I don't think this is really the case. It's just the usual polarity of the message board. I would tend to believe that the majority of Sunderland supporters are in the camp of thinking Speakman and his team had done a very good job up until last summer. However the manager fiasco, 2 poor transfer windows and the subsequent downturn in form means he has this summers transfer window and the manager appointment to put it right.

Failure to do so will turn most against the current regime but I believe they have enough goodwill in the bank to try and improve the situation next season. A few quality signings (including a striker or two) and a good managerial appointment mean things can rapidly turn again for the better.
You are right in what you say. Speakman etc had recruited well with Clarke, Roberts, Cirkin etc. The football was excellent. When Stewart got injured and Simms left ( a year gone Jan) that was the time for us to push on and strengthen but we didn’t so it was a bad window. Most fans ( including myself) thought fair enough, it’s one window that speakman has got wrong, not to worry the club will see this an address the situation in the summer. But the summer window went and the quality striker we needed didn’t happen so we move onto jan just gone and everyone is thinking the club and KLD won’t let the same mistakes happen 3 windows in a row but they did. Styles and a 3rd choice leeds left back?? So at that point it to me and a lot of other fans it becomes clear our recruitment and last few windows isn’t just genuine mistakes where signings haven’t quite come off it is without doubt down to a lack of ambition. The minutes of the meeting come out today and do you know what if speakman or KLD had come out and said we are sorry we have made some big mistakes the last few windows and with the way the club has been ran, we aim to put it right in the summer and sign a quality striker and bring in a good manager etc and improve the stadium then I and most of our decent supporters would have said mistakes have been made but they have learnt from it so lets look forward to the new season. Instead though I have just read through pages and pages of completely patronising shite where when fans at the meeting have asked for experienced players they have been told we already have them in Dan Neil and Patterson!! Now I’m sorry but have you ever heard a fan on here describe Patterson as experienced?? Of course you haven’t because it’s complete bullshit and taking the piss to be honest. No accountability for mistakes just pages of patronising comments and lip service. Sorry if my comments seem negative but i’m not sure how people can think a team with 1 point in 21 and an owner basically saying he doesn’t think anything wrong with last few transfer is then going to set the world on fire next season! Everything unfortunately points to a season of struggle. We were meant to be going for promotion and people are saying don’t worry Portsmouth and derby will be worse!! That is how far we have fallen we are looking to see if 3 worse teams than us to rely on stopping up!! And still people defend the club. I read comments about how we will sign players in the summer. Yeah but it will be cheap shite again. Nothing is going to change the owner is as good as telling you that. Some people need to wake it and see the facts in front of their eyes.

As this season comes to an end I hoped Speakman and KLD would be apologetic and acknowledge mistakes have been made with the recruitment of both players and managers and talk about making positive changes and tweaking the recruitment model whilst still developing our young players. The minutes of the meeting read like they think aren’t sorry in the slightest and that they have no plans to change anything.No acknowledgement that we almost went on our worst ever run in this division.Sounds like instead of getting some experienced players bought in the summer we will have to make do with a new hummel strip and some faster internet. I have a feeling the way we are ending this season will continue into next season. Could be a long season next season.
pampers

I won't lie it's probably taken me longer to come to that conclusion about the squad. I think the past two months has shown alot are either miles away from making the step up as starters in a championship side looking to finish in the play offs, and some simply won't make that grade ever.

Gone to the dogs this place man. Full of people who live for negativity. Absolutely thrive on it. Used to be good crack even during the league one days but it’s never been worse than it is now. They’ll claim they just want us to do well but I genuinely believe there’s some on here now who’ll hate every second of it if we achieve with the current owners / model.
Yeah I tend to have a lot less time on here than I used to, unfortunately I'm in the negative camp atm and need a lift and people to tell me everything will be alright and hold my hand for a bit, this isn't the place for that ! 😆😆

Yeah I tend to have a lot less time on here than I used to, unfortunately I'm in the negative camp atm and need a lift and people to tell me everything will be alright and hold my hand for a bit, this isn't the place for that ! 😆😆
I don’t mean people shouldn’t have opinions or anything like but Christ it’s like the world’s ending every day on here. People just can’t see a single positive about anything at all. Anything that’s meant to be positive is just ripped to bits without any thought. I know people see me as defending the club for anything but that’s not the reality I think they’ve made huge mistakes but Christ you’ve still got to be objective with each situation.

Portsmouth, Derby and Bolton (who are third) all score goals, without Clarke and any strikers worthy of the title we simply don't. Obviously that assumes Clarke leaves, if he does I now have no confidence we will recruit what's needed. Our last 3 incoming players - Mundle, looks ready for the bench not the first 11, Hjelde and Styles both look ready for league 2. With the exception of Jobe the two windows prior are just as bad.

I'm not saying we are certainties for relegation but at the moment our hope appears to be that we might somehow be better than the 3 coming up from League One. That's a million miles away from Speakman's declaration of the club's expectation of challenging the top places this season and not just scraping into the play offs.

KLD obviously sets a budget but it's not as though all of these players have come for free, just Rusyn and Hjelde combined must be around £4.5 - £5M. We've gone from signings like Pritchard, Clarke, Cirkin, Roberts and Ballard to players that look a million miles off being ready for the Championship. Is this because Speakman exhausted a limited supply of targets or a policy shift.

They need to find a new way quickly or next season could be a serious struggle.

Surely theyve finally realised that we need a blend of youth and experience now eventually . Theyve given up if they havent clicked onto that after a good year of watching

Portsmouth, Derby and Bolton (who are third) all score goals, without Clarke and any strikers worthy of the title we simply don't. Obviously that assumes Clarke leaves, if he does I now have no confidence we will recruit what's needed. Our last 3 incoming players - Mundle, looks ready for the bench not the first 11, Hjelde and Styles both look ready for league 2. With the exception of Jobe the two windows prior are just as bad.

I'm not saying we are certainties for relegation but at the moment our hope appears to be that we might somehow be better than the 3 coming up from League One. That's a million miles away from Speakman's declaration of the club's expectation of challenging the top places this season and not just scraping into the play offs.

KLD obviously sets a budget but it's not as though all of these players have come for free, just Rusyn and Hjelde combined must be around £4.5 - £5M. We've gone from signings like Pritchard, Clarke, Cirkin, Roberts and Ballard to players that look a million miles off being ready for the Championship. Is this because Speakman exhausted a limited supply of targets or a policy shift.

They need to find a new way quickly or next season could be a serious struggle.
Fair points. Being realistic I don't see us tearing the league to shreds, another season paddling around in mid table is the most likely outcome. However, I do believe we'll invest in the squad. Mind, as you point out, how well we do so is an entirely different matter. If they fail to address our problems up top and continue to ignore the hole in our midfield they'll deserve to be peddled.

Fair points. Being realistic I don't see us tearing the league to shreds, another season paddling around in mid table is the most likely outcome. However, I do believe we'll invest in the squad. Mind, as you point out, how well we do so is an entirely different matter. If they fail to address our problems up top and continue to ignore the hole in our midfield they'll deserve to be peddled.
Yeah, that sounds like where we are at. Just renewed today and mates have already too, so I would like to believe the club have had a wake up call and go back to the previous version of the recruitment model. Buying UK based lads who have been/are at PL clubs but are not getting a game. Still pitfalls but Burstow appears to be the odd one out of all the previous UK based bought/loan deals. Hopefully he's heading back to Chelsea in May.

Back