Hands-free phone ban for drivers 'should be considered'

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it different if I have the same conversation with my husband while he is in the car I’m driving, versus he is taking to me on the handsfree while I’m driving.

Same conversation, same level of concentration required.
It's different because when your husband is in the car, he subconsciously stops talking when you are approaching areas where your increased concentration is required. You won't realise it is happening (because it's subconscious) but if you recorded it there would be gaps. If he's on the phone, he doesn't have that context to know when to shut the fuck up.

I don't see any issue with hands free.
I think it's much more dangerous talking to a front seat/back seat passenger, because at times you tend to look at them when answering, whether it's glancing through the rear view mirror or turning your head to the side for a second. And it only takes a second to find yourself in trouble if you're unlucky at that point. It happens.

Talking to a hand free requires nothing more than watching the road whilst chatting, so no issue for me.
This. Only an issue when you're too stupid to say "hang on" if something needs your attention on the road, then have them repeat themselves.

The difference is that your passenger can adjust the conversation to the circumstances you're driving in, so as a driver the distraction level is significantly lower.

My company bans us from using hands free telephones. I have mixed views, but there's growing evidence that they do increase the risk of accidents, even if safer than hand held ones.
It's not the fact that a device is being used. It is the context of the conversation and how that affects your mood and the way you are thinking. Chatting to someone on a long journey can help keep you alert, while someone arguing or kids screaming in a car can be more distracting.

I do it loads and anybody saying its never effected their driving is a liar.

However a lots down to common sense. Often see morons starting a call, often handheld, while reversing out of a space etc. Surely its less fecking stress waiting 10 seconds till youre on an open road.

Will feck a lot of people up this like as its a very handy way of sorting shit out rather than losing hours doing feck all.

Predominantly young lasses who are addicted to Instagram or whatever shite social network people use these days.

...I do. It’s pretty dangerous if you don’t.
Fuck off man. You’re on a motorway and your album finishes, so instead of a couple of taps taking seconds, you sit in silence til you find a slip road to pull off, make your taps, then rejoin the motorway?

What I mean is a call over hands free is rarely talking crap. Had plenty of serious ones sat side by side too. At my work we're allowed to answer just to say we're driving and will call back when we stop. Any kind of conversation which is part of an accident would land me in serious bother.

Now thats the most pointless call ever “can I call you back Im driving”, not worth picking up at all is it?

What I mean is a call over hands free is rarely talking crap. Had plenty of serious ones sat side by side too. At my work we're allowed to answer just to say we're driving and will call back when we stop. Any kind of conversation which is part of an accident would land me in serious bother.
On the contrary, most of my hands free calls are me telling Mr B I’m coming to pick him up.
It's different because when your husband is in the car, he subconsciously stops talking when you are approaching areas where your increased concentration is required. You won't realise it is happening (because it's subconscious) but if you recorded it there would be gaps. If he's on the phone, he doesn't have that context to know when to shut the fuck up.
But my kids certainly don’t.

They are the biggest dangerous distraction in my car by far.

Last edited:
How is it different if I have the same conversation with my husband while he is in the car I’m driving, versus he is taking to me on the handsfree while I’m driving.

Same conversation, same level of concentration required.
In person there are no verbal signals. Passengers will respond to those. So it’s not the same

the high horses are out in force today. if you can talk to your passenger, you can talk to your stereo.

do you have kids?

I can't see a lot of difference between talking to your passenger's and talking hands free, their is still a level of distraction infact maybe more coz most people look at the person they're talking too, and that means taking your eyes off the road.

I have Spotify on permanent shuffle. It never stops.
Fair enough. But other people don’t. I listen to podcasts but you have to pick a new one every half hour. I know we joke about it on here, but a couple of taps on a phone stuck on your windscreen right in front of your face is completely different to fiddling about with one on your knee.

Our car is murder for it. The whole lot is on this screen. Can't stand it
I've always fancied a Volvo X90 . We went through to arsecassel to have a look when the new shape came out . As soon as the salesman pointed out that virtually everything was touch screen controlled I lost interest and left . Imagine touch screen controls and keyless start .

I've always fancied a Volvo X90 . We went through to arsecassel to have a look when the new shape came out . As soon as the salesman pointed out that virtually everything was touch screen controlled I lost interest and left . Imagine touch screen controls and keyless start .
There's 4 screens to scroll through. Radio, sat nav, air con. If you wanna adjust the temp, set the nav away and change a station it cant be done whilst looking at the road at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back