Hands-free phone ban for drivers 'should be considered'

Status
Not open for further replies.

So basically they are saying talking in a car is dangerous? So are they gan try and stop drivers talking to the passengers too? What's the difference?
The difference is that your passenger can adjust the conversation to the circumstances you're driving in, so as a driver the distraction level is significantly lower.

My company bans us from using hands free telephones. I have mixed views, but there's growing evidence that they do increase the risk of accidents, even if safer than hand held ones.

The difference is that your passenger can adjust the conversation to the circumstances you're driving in, so as a driver the distraction level is significantly lower.

My company bans us from using hands free telephones. I have mixed views, but there's growing evidence that they do increase the risk of accidents, even if safer than hand held ones.
I think your first point isn’t really a valid one.

Any distraction is a bad one when in a car.

I spend hours on my handsfree and if I’m truly honest, I’d say it’s difficult to concentrate when doing both.

Reactions: PTR

Not always, as others have pointed out what about kids? it depends if the passenger is aware of what's going on, if I give a lift to my nanna or my dad she will prattle on. Kids don't care about road state, if they want a drink or to go to the toilet they are letting you know about it repeatedly and loudly.

Not always, as others have pointed out what about kids? it depends if the passenger is aware of what's going on, if I give a lift to my nanna or my dad she will prattle on. Kids don't care about road state, if they want a drink or to go to the toilet they are letting you know about it repeatedly and loudly.
As I said I have mixed views, and as said by you and others any distraction is dangerous. I suppose it's about managing risks, and arguably it is easy to manage this particular risk by removing it.

The evidence shows that it is no safer than handheld phone use and that either way you increase your risk of an accident by 4x. So yeah, ban it.

Texting is even more dangerous, but that's already banned, thankfully.

Reactions: PTR
I don't see any issue with hands free.
I think it's much more dangerous talking to a front seat/back seat passenger, because at times you tend to look at them when answering, whether it's glancing through the rear view mirror or turning your head to the side for a second. And it only takes a second to find yourself in trouble if you're unlucky at that point. It happens.

Talking to a hand free requires nothing more than watching the road whilst chatting, so no issue for me.

They'll ban singing next

They better not! I spend all day singing :D

Can understand it as it can be a distraction. I use my hands free occasionally and it can be difficult to concentrate on both the road and the conversation.

If the phone call can’t wait, pull over and take it.

If not concentrate on your bloody driving and mobile banking
I call Mr B to tell him I’m on my way to pick him up.
I don't see any issue with hands free.
I think it's much more dangerous talking to a front seat/back seat passenger, because at times you tend to look at them when answering, whether it's glancing through the rear view mirror or turning your head to the side for a second. And it only takes a second to find yourself in trouble if you're unlucky at that point. It happens.

Talking to a hand free requires nothing more than watching the road whilst chatting, so no issue for me.
They’ll need to ban mirrors to look at the kids with. Or looking in the mirror at the kids. Or turning around.

I’ve literally just crossed the road at Great Portland Street and a bloke was sat at a green light, not moving, eating a sandwich. When I stepped into the crossing, he pulled forward, moaning at me for getting in his way, with a mouth and handful of sandwich.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back