Gym, age and life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been smoking since I was 16, 42 now and packed in 6 weeks ago. Just stopped. It's about breaking the routine. Used to have 2 fags before work, didn't have them and didn't take them to work. Take it hour by hour and when you have done 1 day without any, just do it all again tomorrow, and the next day and so on.

As with most things of this nature, it's all in the mind. Started running too and now go out twice a week and do 6 miles or so each time. Never thought I'd be doing that at the start of the year.

You will find the need to take up a hobby just to stop yourself thinking about smoking so the gym or whatever is a good idea. You can do it mate, it's all in the mind. Good luck with it and you'll be one of those smug gets writing stuff like this in no time :)

Been smoking since I was 16, 42 now and packed in 6 weeks ago. Just stopped. It's about breaking the routine. Used to have 2 fags before work, didn't have them and didn't take them to work. Take it hour by hour and when you have done 1 day without any, just do it all again tomorrow, and the next day and so on.

As with most things of this nature, it's all in the mind. Started running too and now go out twice a week and do 6 miles or so each time. Never thought I'd be doing that at the start of the year.

You will find the need to take up a hobby just to stop yourself thinking about smoking so the gym or whatever is a good idea. You can do it mate, it's all in the mind. Good luck with it and you'll be one of those smug gets writing stuff like this in no time :)

I think your subconcious does kick in without you thinking about it.

Your brain routines were appealing to the main man that you needed to sort yourself out.

Amazing thing the brain.

Agreed. i prefer to walk when I can. Luckily I can walk to Newcastle centre in 20 minutes and everything else is nearby within walking distance.

I like the swimming because it keeps the torso in shape a bit more.

Yes. I'd like to swim every morning if I could, but the nearest place is the one next to the SOL and it's quite expensive so I've heard, but I walk an hour every morning before breakfast and I push the pace, also walk almost everywhere I can, the clinic in my GP's keeps a check on people that have given up smoking
my results just before Christmas, showed that my lung capacity had increased
a fair bit from the previous year, so it's working...:cool:

Remember to start slow at the gym. There's nothing more likely to put you off than not being able to move for two days after the first session.

Even if you feel as if you're not doing much stick to it for a week before increasing time or intensity. I started at ten minutes on the bike, ten on the cross trainer and ten jogging slowly on the running machine. In two months I was doing half an hour on each.

Yes. I'd like to swim every morning if I could, but the nearest place is the one next to the SOL and it's quite expensive so I've heard, but I walk an hour every morning before breakfast and I push the pace, also walk almost everywhere I can, the clinic in my GP's keeps a check on people that have given up smoking
my results just before Christmas, showed that my lung capacity had increased
a fair bit from the previous year, so it's working...:cool:

Jesmond pool has pool (obviously) sauna, steam room and a gym (which I never use) and its £43 a month off peak for me and the missus.

Tenner a week for two is not bad at all.

Packed the tabs in just over two years ago, stated walking for 30 minutes a day
I lost a stone in weight within the first year, now down to my correct body weight, but I smoked for forty odd year, so I knew it would be hard, but the patches helped and I must say, after six or seven weeks, I really didn't need them.

Worse thing you can do, don't replace fags with food, you'll balloon in weight.

Chewing gum is not food, you can get sugar free gum.

Jesmond pool has pool (obviously) sauna, steam room and a gym (which I never use) and its £43 a month off peak for me and the missus.

Tenner a week for two is not bad at all.
That's not bad that, I'll have to check out the one I mentioned, see what they have on offer, thing is, I'd like to swim early morning, so I'm all done and dusted before 7. 30\8 o,clock, I like to get into a routine early so nothing disrupts it, it's easy to get side tracked.

That's not bad that, I'll have to check out the one I mentioned, see what they have on offer, thing is, I'd like to swim early morning, so I'm all done and dusted before 7. 30\8 o,clock, I like to get into a routine early so nothing disrupts it, it's easy to get side tracked.

That will be a peak time I reckon. Punters going before work.

get a mountain bike and ride that , you''ll soon realise how shit your lungs are once you hit on a few banks . its makes good food for thought .....

Excellent example.
Although Ive never carried a lot of excess weight, my vice was smoking 20 fags a day for 35 years.
I packed in 9 weeks ago for the sake of my health and the fact that I could not justify paying out for 20 fags a day. Went to docs and get the champix every week ( for 12 weeks). Costs me £7.50 perscription per week which is not much more than 20 fags.
Decided to eat a lot more healthy food at the same time and in the 9 weeks Ive packed in Ive put on 1lb in weight which I reckon is canny.
I do a lot of walking and whenever I get the urge to have the odd one, I think what I was like walking up hills when smoking ( tight chest/out of breath) compared to how I coope now.
Cant recommend Champix enough. If I can do it after 35yrs, anyone can.

Mints are, don't substitute anything for fags you're just creating another habit, just pack them in.

never had to pack in the fags but as some have already said it's all about getting out of one routine into another. the body responds amazingly well to exercise once you get going. it's a slog to start but once you get over the crest the benefits are obvious.

trying to cut down on boozing and getting out on the bike has made all the difference to me.

never had to pack in the fags but as some have already said it's all about getting out of one routine into another. the body responds amazingly well to exercise once you get going. it's a slog to start but once you get over the crest the benefits are obvious.

trying to cut down on boozing and getting out on the bike has made all the difference to me.
It certainly makes you feel alive, that's for sure and I feel guilty If I have to miss it for any reason.

Mints are, don't substitute anything for fags you're just creating another habit, just pack them in.

Thats the thing, its a habit, what we did was change our daily routine, not have coffee or tea during the day and only have water, we joined the health and racquet club and swam every morning and did training on a night.

Thats the thing, its a habit, what we did was change our daily routine, not have coffee or tea during the day and only have water, we joined the health and racquet club and swam every morning and did training on a night.
That's the best way to go, if you do feel hungry and most do when they've packed in then, Fruits the best substitute.

Have a stressful job and recently been eating unhealthy food and drinking too much beer. Friday it's my birthday and I have decided to change my lifestyle. Go to the gym, pack in the cigs and get healthy.

Any advice or stories from you lot, before I get wrecked for the last time the Friday and Saturday ?

Has anyone else packed in the tabs? Cold turkey the best way ?

Don't go to the gym. Plays sports with mates instead. You get to spend time with your mates and in all likeliehood will try harder and your whole body will get a work out.

That's the best way to go, if you do feel hungry and most do when they've packed in then, Fruits the best substitute.

Agreed, its difficult to have a tab with a whole jaffa orange stuffed in your gob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back