Gym, age and life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obi Wan

Midfield
Have a stressful job and recently been eating unhealthy food and drinking too much beer. Friday it's my birthday and I have decided to change my lifestyle. Go to the gym, pack in the cigs and get healthy.

Any advice or stories from you lot, before I get wrecked for the last time the Friday and Saturday ?

Has anyone else packed in the tabs? Cold turkey the best way ?

Obi Wan said:
Have a stressful job and recently been eating unhealthy food and drinking too much beer. Friday it's my birthday and I have decided to change my lifestyle. Go to the gym, pack in the cigs and get healthy.

Any advice or stories from you lot, before I get wrecked for the last time the Friday and Saturday ?

I always find all or nothing. If your dieting or cutting out the booze then don't just have one, cos if your like me that one will lead to another 7 or 8.

2011 resolution was to pack in fags - will power only and ive not smoked since, down side i put on 2 stone.

2012 resolution was to lose weight. Started running and ive lost 1 1/2 stone without too much change to diet although i only really drink on a sat now rather than 2-3 nights a week.

good luck but like most things its easy if you really want it enough.

I'm 49 and it's coming up to 4 years since I stopped smoking, using Champix prescribed by the doctor. My last cigarette was at 10.30am on 28th June 2008. I'd just phoned my boss to say I'd taken another job and thought "well this a big change in my life, lets have another big change in my life". Within a week I didn't miss them.

I'm now dealing with the weight (2.5 stone) I gained, since mid-Jan I've lost just over a stone by cutting out crap and not drinking. Ive tried dieting before but failed, I'd tried stopping smoking before and failed too, I think you have to have a real need to change habits, thinking it's generally a bad idea didn't work for me.

Once you decide to stop just stop, for ever, ride it out it gets easier. The 28th June thing, that's not some longing for the smoking days, it's the day I decided to leave a perfectly good job and I've regretted it ever since.

Packed the tabs in with patches on NYE 2009. Not touched one since. Fuck the Gym though, I like being 'cuddly' :lol:

get a mountain bike and ride that , you''ll soon realise how shit your lungs are once you hit on a few banks . its makes good food for thought .....

Obi Wan said:

Iv tried cold turkey and it just doesn't work for me. When i have stopped iv used patches they seen to work a treat for me.

I've never smoked but I think you might be trying too many things at once. I'd start with cutting down on the booze and doing some exercise first. Perhaps try reducing your smoking before giving up totally. No doubt, someone will recommend the all-in approach but only you can know what's more likely to work. Exercise has been proved to reduce the feeling of stress this will help with the drink and smoking aspects, so start this first, IMO of course.

im still trying to pack the cigs in , might try the patches, elec cigs dont work make me cough like fuck , remember the doctor saying to me about weight gain if i packed the tabs in " if you have the willpower to pack in smoking, going on a diet will be a stroll in the park "

Keep your last fag and make it personal, you vs it, don't smoke it and you win, smoke it and you lose, are you stronger than dry leaves rolled up in a piece of paper?

Make little miles stones, the first one is 1 day, then 2, then 5, then a week, then 10 days, little by little.

Buy plenty of mints and chewing gum.

Best of luck mate, it was the best thing I ever did, smoked from 14 to 29.

Packed the tabs in just over two years ago, stated walking for 30 minutes a day
I lost a stone in weight within the first year, now down to my correct body weight, but I smoked for forty odd year, so I knew it would be hard, but the patches helped and I must say, after six or seven weeks, I really didn't need them.

Keep your last fag and make it personal, you vs it, don't smoke it and you win, smoke it and you lose, are you stronger than dry leaves rolled up in a piece of paper?

Make little miles stones, the first one is 1 day, then 2, then 5, then a week, then 10 days, little by little.

Buy plenty of mints and chewing gum.

Best of luck mate, it was the best thing I ever did, smoked from 14 to 29.
Worse thing you can do, don't replace fags with food, you'll balloon in weight.

Never smoked but once you hit 40 you need to do regular exercise.

I swim a few miles a week and walk round the golf course.

if you dont exercise I think you get much older much quicker.

packed in tabs about 3 year ago and balloned to 15st within 2 month of packing in (2st gain) joined gym and started jogging aswell as playng football and dropped to 11st 12lb and have leveled out at 12st 8lbs, im in the same bracket as a earlier poster its all our nothing with me try not to drink because as soon as i start in inevitably turns into a 3 day session, any exercise is good and keeping active keeps me away from wanting to smoke our drink loads

Never smoked but once you hit 40 you need to do regular exercise.

I swim a few miles a week and walk round the golf course.

if you dont exercise I think you get much older much quicker.
This is true Harry, all manner of health issues kick in if you're unfit and over 40
A good solid 30 minute walk per day is all that's needed, but the more exercise
the better, I'm lucky, my job kept me pretty fit.

This is true Harry, all manner of health issues kick in if you're unfit and over 40
A good solid 30 minute walk per day is all that's needed, but the more exercise
the better, I'm lucky, my job kept me pretty fit.

Agreed. i prefer to walk when I can. Luckily I can walk to Newcastle centre in 20 minutes and everything else is nearby within walking distance.

I like the swimming because it keeps the torso in shape a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back