Guitarists 🎸 of the smb

Biggest difference is scale bridge to nut. The Jaguar is 24", so shorter than a Les Paul, the Jazzmaster is full scale Fender clocking in at 25.5"

Jazzmaster pickup bobbins are wider, they're not P90's but do sound different from the Jaguar. The Jaguar pickups are more your traditional fender ones in size but the Jaguar sounds brighter and I think has a distinct sound, very trebly and jangly. The jazzmaster is much less harsh but are still bright. Both have 1meg pots fitted, so they let a lot of high end brightness through which is where they vary from Strat or tele sounds. The Jaguar has a high pass filter which can cut some brightness, and both traditional models have a rhythm circuit which only operates the neck pickups for a darker sound.

I'd pay attention to the bridges of whichever one you want to buy. The trad bridge can be very flaky on both models, but Fender quite often swap them out themselves now. I don't think many models have come with the threaded bridge for a while but avoid the one that look like below. they're an absolute bastard for strings popping out of their groove and into the next one.

Logon or register to see this image
This is all good advice. Wish you'd been around when I was buying my first proper guitar, rather than just looking at eBay and getting one from somewhere nearby for not too much money - ended up with a Vintage V69 then which wasn't as it happens. But I've always loved Nirvana (Jaguar / Mustang) and especially Dinosaur Jr (Jazzmaster) so Fender/Squier was always the way I was likely to go. I have a Squier Jazzmaster now which I've upgraded a bit, but I really like the look of the Classic Vibe Jaguar next... Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar Laurel Fingerboard Surf Green - Andertons Music Co.

This is all good advice. Wish you'd been around when I was buying my first proper guitar, rather than just looking at eBay and getting one from somewhere nearby for not too much money - ended up with a Vintage V69 then which wasn't as it happens. But I've always loved Nirvana (Jaguar / Mustang) and especially Dinosaur Jr (Jazzmaster) so Fender/Squier was always the way I was likely to go. I have a Squier Jazzmaster now which I've upgraded a bit, but I really like the look of the Classic Vibe Jaguar next... Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar Laurel Fingerboard Surf Green - Andertons Music Co.

That's a lovely looking instrument. Surf green is one of my favourite colours and the classic vibe is a great run of instruments. Out of interest are the tuners on your Jazzmaster metal or plastic? I got a 40th anniversary JM and the tuners are gold coloured plastic. I just wondered if that was a squier thing across the full range these days?

That's a lovely looking instrument. Surf green is one of my favourite colours and the classic vibe is a great run of instruments. Out of interest are the tuners on your Jazzmaster metal or plastic? I got a 40th anniversary JM and the tuners are gold coloured plastic. I just wondered if that was a squier thing across the full range these days?
Plastic, it's only an Affinity range. I got it after reading the review from that Landon Bailey chap among others, he's always fun and interesting to listen to...at the time it was on offer at guitarguitar for £169 as I said I think it's back up to £250 or so now.

Last edited:
I’m in the minority of people who hate teles. I have an epiphone dot that I got for my 22nd birthday (24 years ago) in cherry red which is a work of art in my eyes. Also have a shitty encore les Paul copy, just because I love the lp shape, and with effects pedals and amp modelling it doesn’t sound like a piece of shit. 😂 I barely touch the electrics though and always default to my ancient electro acoustic carbon back. Also have a Washburn 12 string that I pick up every now and then as it’s on a stand next to my sofa.

I’ve always just bought guitars that are pleasing to my eyes, and run them through effects pedals if I want a different sound.

I’m in the minority of people who hate teles. I have an epiphone dot that I got for my 22nd birthday (24 years ago) in cherry red which is a work of art in my eyes. Also have a shitty encore les Paul copy, just because I love the lp shape, and with effects pedals and amp modelling it doesn’t sound like a piece of shit. 😂 I barely touch the electrics though and always default to my ancient electro acoustic carbon back. Also have a Washburn 12 string that I pick up every now and then as it’s on a stand next to my sofa.

I’ve always just bought guitars that are pleasing to my eyes, and run them through effects pedals if I want a different sound.

I never used to see the appeal of teles myself when I was younger, was always an offset fan. Fecking love them these days though. Second only to a lester for me.

My Tele in Red (of course)

IMG_1687.jpeg

Oh almost the same. I went with a northwest guitars bridge for the compensated brass saddles.

It’s always pointy bits I hate on guitars. Even if it’s headstock or body. I can’t even get away with the Yamaha pacifica as I find the top horn too pointy.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
.....................Surf Green. My Squire Telecaster converted with line 6 variax electronics along with my USA Telecaster in Natural finish

Have we got many acoustic players on here?

Most of the people on this thread seem to focus on electrics. Anyone an acoustic player?
Yep, mainly acoustic here. Just something about the sounds and feel I can never get enough of.

Played for years on a dreadnought size from The Indie Guitar Co which I took off my dad. Got a Martin LX1 too just to noddle around on these days.

Class Tele's like. If I ever get another electric, that's what it'll be.
I got a Sheraton Pro ii last year. Fantastic to play and sounds great

Cracking guitars. Got one sitting on top me cupboard doing sweet FA.

I used to have it in D Standard in the band back in the day. Used to play No One Knows, Sad But True, and a very long, solo laden CCR-but-heavier version of Heard It Through The Grapevine on it. Sounded mega.

Most of the people on this thread seem to focus on electrics. Anyone an acoustic player?
I've never considered there to be much a distinction. I play both depending on what mood I'm in.

Last edited:

Yeah I’m mainly acoustic.

I do have a couple electrics. I like this one - 1950s Harmony H44 Stratotone.

It has a wide 1 3/4” nut width and a huge baseball bat neck. Picked it up pretty cheap during Covid.

Tanglewood TW15NS spruce top, mahogany back and sides- it has the thinnest neck of any of my guitars. It’s a pure acoustic, no electronics so it’s never been used live and as a result even though it’s a good few years old it’s absolutely mint.

Nice full sound as you would expect from a dread.
I’ve just noticed - the strings on that dread are absolutely knackered. They are Elixir strings but I must have got them second hand from Ry Cooder!

I have no idea how old they are but they owe me nothing. I might treat them to a new set tomorrow.

Last edited:
Where did you get the line 6 variax conversion done? Might look into that in future as i have an old variax which is never played
Dave Smart in Nunthorpe. Check out his FB page under Smartech Guitars. Brilliant for set up and makes guitars mainly as a hobby.

Tanglewood TW15NS spruce top, mahogany back and sides- it has the thinnest neck of any of my guitars. It’s a pure acoustic, no electronics so it’s never been used live and as a result even though it’s a good few years old it’s absolutely mint.

Nice full sound as you would expect from a dread.
I’ve just noticed - the strings on that dread are absolutely knackered. They are Elixir strings but I must have got them second hand from Ry Cooder!

I have no idea how old they are but they owe me nothing. I might treat them to a new set tomorrow.

Stop hi-jacking the thread.

Have you an idea of the style of guitar you want @Steve 10? What do you want to play on it?

I normally think humbuckers are a good starting point when starting out. They'll not be as noisy as single coils, they'll give a fatter, more user friendly sound right out of the case. Stick a humbucker guitar in the treble position, turn the volume and tone pots to 10, and you're good to go. You've got everything from Oasis to AC/DC to Zeppelin to Sabbath covered. With that in mind, you really can't look past an Epiphone Les Paul / SG / 335 semi acoustic, all will do the job, all well within your price range with money to spare for a decent starter amp (I'd absolutely recommend the Positive Grid Spark amp). No wammy bars or owt to worry about so no issues with unstable tunings (can be a factor on cheaper guitars with wammy bars if they're not set up right).

If you prefer the look of Fender style guitars, then the Squire range has always been decent for entry lever guitars, however with your budget you'd probably be better off looking at Mexican made Fenders (Baja Telecasters have a very good rep - Custom shop design, made in Mex). The old rule of thumb was Squires<Jap Fenders<Mexican Fenders<USA Fenders. There is some crossover, i.e. A Baja Tele (probably around your budget new) is probably going to be a better guitar than the cheapest USA Telecaster, but it all depends what you're after and the guitar itself.

A Telecaster will lend itself to more straight forward rock and roll and sounds more akin to the Gibson humbucker sound (again, Oasis, Zep etc) than a Single Coil loaded Stratocaster ever will. The first Led Zeppelin album is recorded on a Telecaster. It just has that fuller, ballsier sound. But then it's also very capable of cleaning up and giving you a country twang a humbucking guitar is never gonna get - but that may be a style a bit beyond a beginner.

Strats. Well if you want to be Jimi Hendrix or a *grown up* Eric Clapton (*early stuff, Cream etc... Les Pauls and SGs) then it's a Strat isn't it. A guitar player's guitar (that's not necessarily a compliment). Personally I think you need to have some idea what you're doing to get what you really want from a Strat. And you'll never get a truly satisfying, ball shaking, overdriven rhythm sound from them - especially with a maple neck. You can get humbucker loaded strats with dark necks that are sorta the best of both worlds, but it's not the some. They're just not meaty enough.

Other brands... Well they all copy off the big 2 anyay don't they. Yamaha Pacifica's always had a good rep, but with your budget I'd look beyond those. And they're Strat style anyway, so if like me you want summit meatier, you need to look elsewhere.

PRS - never floated my boat particularly. Fancy looking Les Paul rip-offs for the most part. Top end ones will no doubt be excellent. Not so sure about their more budget guitars. The Santana range (about your budget) never impressed me a great deal.

Vintage /Tokai / Harley Benton etc etc. All rip-offs of the real thing. Most will be solid enough guitars, probably priced similarly to an Epiphone or Jap/Mex Fender. Will they be any better? Really not sure. I think Epiphone have better quality control. And unless you're a metalhead (starting out on an acoustic I'm assuming not), ya want nowt to do with metal guitars like Ibanez, Jackson, etc.

My overriding personal recommendation.... An Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a sunburst finish.

Last edited:

Back