Guitarists 🎸 of the smb

Steve 10

Central Defender
Just cut my teeth on an acoustic guitar for the past year, & want an electric guitar.
Can anyone recommend any decent makes?
For starting out pls?

Just cut my teeth on an acoustic guitar for the past year, & want an electric guitar.
Can anyone recommend any decent makes?
For starting out pls?
I would go to a guitar shop and try a few. There are boutique guitars that cost a fortune, then the are the big names like Gibson, PRS, Fender.

And then more affordable guitars like Epiphone, Squier and LOTS of other makes too.

Conventional wisdom says buy cheap at first to let you work out what you want then spend more when you are more informed.

However, a crap guitar is not very inspiring to play and might not help you in the long run.

What sort of budget do you have for the guitar and do you need an amp, cables, etc etc?

I got a Vintage V69 (SG copy) off eBay as my first guitar, then recently acquired a Squier Jazzmaster which i really like. I'm still a beginner, like, but I find the Jazzmaster a lot more fun to play around on. Got it on a deal from GuitarGuitar online when they were knocking them down to £169, but I see they are back up to £240 now. I had a very basic Squier amp but I got a much better Blackstar one at Christmas to annoy the neighbours with.

I am by no means one to take advice from however, I am just enjoying learning to play and offering my two pennorth here :)

Fender Squier was what I was recommended and though I still have it I have never really taken to it and stick with my acoustic.

I'm sure it is a perfectly fine entry level guitar. I'm inspired to get it back out.

If you like playing acoustic, the Gibson-type ones (SG, Les Paul style) necks I find are usually easier to transition to.

Semi-acoustics and Yamaha Revstars are close to the feel of an acoustic neck.
As been said, a Fender Squier would be an ideal starting guitar

Although this true, but I'd get a Classic/Vintage vibe second hand rather than an Affinity. Should say on the guitar, but you can tell by the truss rod bit being a solid dark colour.

Back