Guitar Gear Thread. Your new, next or future guitars, amps, FX etc.

It'll be the same model (I noticed it mentioned tuner on the GG specs). Thomann are often cheaper - they are a massive European (German?) company so must buy in massive bulk quantities. I've bought from them in the past (before we left the EU) and it was all good. Go and try it in GG (check they have it in stock at the branch you go to - they will order it in for you if not for a £50 deposit and refund no quibbles). GG only price match UK authorised sellers of the brand so no chance of them matching Thomann unfortunately.
I think they might be actually different guitars. I'd obviously go cheaper if they're actually like for like.

The GG one says

Natural, Dynamic Plugged-in Sound by SRT2 System

where as the Thomann one says
  • Built-in preamp system 71 + SRT piezo pickup system with volume and mic type switch
Might be being a little thick here mind. 🤣

Actually different or just a different way of saying the same thing 🤔

Thanks for that mate.
The tuner isn't really a consideration in the big scheme of things.
I'm just wondering why guitarguitar have what looks like the same guitar for £1099 when Thomann have it a couple of hundred pound cheaper. They must be different versions of the same guitar 🤔

Thomann are doing deals for their 70th anniversary but they're not showing the reductions. I picked up an Epi LP about £100 cheaper than anywhere else a couple of weeks ago

Last edited:
I think they might be actually different guitars. I'd obviously go cheaper if they're actually like for like.

The GG one says

Natural, Dynamic Plugged-in Sound by SRT2 System

where as the Thomann one says
  • Built-in preamp system 71 + SRT piezo pickup system with volume and mic type switch
Might be being a little thick here mind. 🤣

Actually different or just a different way of saying the same thing 🤔
I don’t know for sure but perhaps Yamaha upgraded the SRT SYSTEM and badged it SRT2

I don’t know for sure but perhaps Yamaha upgraded the SRT SYSTEM and badged it SRT2
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. You'd think that Thomann would mention in their specs that the guitar has a built in tuner as well.
Things could be lost in translation as well. I'll send a few emails and get to the bottom of it.
Watch him turn round and say he doesn't want a Yamaha he wants a Martin. 🤣

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. You'd think that Thomann would mention in their specs that the guitar has a built in tuner as well.
Things could be lost in translation as well. I'll send a few emails and get to the bottom of it.
Watch him turn round and say he doesn't want a Yamaha he wants a Martin. 🤣
I’ll go and did mine out and have a look at the electrics - back in a few minutes.
Mine is not badged SRT2

Last edited:
I’ll go and did mine out and have a look at the electrics - back in a few minutes.
Mine is not badged SRT2
I can imagine there'll be slight tweaks and upgrades made to newer models. I'll get to the bottom of it.
I bet Thomann say yes they're the same buy from us we're cheaper and guitarguitar say they're different ours is a newer improved version buy from us.

Some of the older ones have a square control panel and the newer ones just have 4 individual controls so they have made changes to them over time.

Last edited:
I can imagine there'll be slight tweaks and upgrades made to newer models. I'll get to the bottom of it.
I bet Thomann say yes they're the same buy from us we're cheaper and guitarguitar say they're different ours is a newer improved version buy from us.

Some of the older ones have a square control panel and the newer ones just have 4 individual controls so they have made changes to them over time.
Mine had the square one and had a separate tuner button. The newer ones have the 4 button approach (which looks much neater). I think the description of the pickup is just different between GG and Thomann - I think both are SRT2 but you are right to check with Thomann. I reckon SRT was used in the one I had. As I said it was a very good pickup system - the best I've heard in an acoustic.

Just had confirmation from Thomann that their version has no built in tuner. The spec on GG states that there is a tuner.
There we have it. Different versions of the same guitar hence the price difference. The gig bags are also different.
Both tuner and gig bags aren't really a consideration but the pick ups are so I'll do some more digging. Not comparing like for like though.

Mine has the square controls, I took a photo but when I looked closely the guitar looks disgusting. It’s got beer and spit all over it and sweat.

I had it a few years and it’s been superb. It’s a very stable guitar and I love it.

It’s got rolled fret board edges so it’s really comfortable to play.

Mine has the square controls, I took a photo but when I looked closely the guitar looks disgusting. It’s got beer and spit all over it and sweat.

I had it a few years and it’s been superb. It’s a very stable guitar and I love it.

It’s got rolled fret board edges so it’s really comfortable to play.
Just had more interaction with Thomann.
They have stated that there must be an error on the guitarguitar website as this model does not have a built in tuner. 🤣
He did say that the pick ups on all AC3M guitars are SRT2 so it looks like they might be the same after all.

Older square control panel version have built in tuner. Newer 4 control versions don't.

The Online Thomann agent was called Martin. Dunno if that's an omen or what 🤔🤣

Last edited:
As this thread popped up, want - Gibson ES-339 OR Epi Dave Grohl, but I need to part with the 2007 Les Paul Std & Les Paul Studio first and poss the Gretsch Baritone. Whats the best way to sell guitars these days and get some (realistic) value without having to ship ?

guitarguitar prices were laughable last time I looked.
May be interested in the studio , what colour ? and can you p.m me the price you are after ?

What are peoples thoughts on an Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Newer ones are fantastic , older ones with the old clipped headstock and pale fretboards / poor pick ups are not a patch on the newer models.
Ebony fretboard , great pick ups no need to upgrade , correct Gibson shaped headstock, i own a black one and it's better than a Orville by Gibson L.P custom that i once owned and a Jap Tokai custom..

Was the same at the last one I went to - everything priced at top end reverb pricing and not much buying going on.

Add in the deafening noise of a hundred bad blues solos at once.

My mate picked up a nice old Kalamazoo KG-14 at a decent price though.
Went to one about ,6 years ago
Just as I expected really ,full price stuff , didn't think the hall suited it . Not much bass or interesting unusual stuff

May be interested in the studio , what colour ? and can you p.m me the price you are after ?

2020 les paul studio in smokehouse burst. mint (been in its case and played about 3 times). Comes with all the case candy, case etc.

It is something I desire. Not sure how good it is, but I hage convinced myself I want one!

The newer epi's are hitting it out of the park, but they are fecking expensive.

Last edited:
I've been getting these KMR adverts for UA pedals on here recently. Checked them out in YouTube videos etc.

They look like absolute monster pedals. Some of them are pedal-format remakes of famous vintage studio rack gear like the LA2A and 1176.

More stuff to add to my list. :D

Logon or register to see this image

I've been getting these KMR adverts for UA pedals on here recently. Checked them out in YouTube videos etc.

They look like absolute monster pedals. Some of them are pedal-format remakes of famous vintage studio rack gear like the LA2A and 1176.

More stuff to add to my list. :D

Logon or register to see this image
Did you ever go on your spending spree and get a Les Paul?

Back